Thread: Democrats Introduce 'Save the Internet Act' (2019)

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Democrats Introduce 'Save the Internet Act' (2019)

Name:  nancy-pelosi.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  28.9 KB

This morning House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a new effort to restore net neutrality protections to the USA. Here's a direct link to the 3-page PDF, and here's the pitch:

"86 percent of Americans oppose the Trump assault on net neutrality, including 82 percent of Republicans," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a press conference announcing the bill.

"With the Save the Internet Act, Democrats are honoring the will of the people and restoring the protections that do this: Stop unjust discriminatory practices by ISPs that try to throttle the public browsing speed, block your internet access and increase your costs, giving to entrepreneurs and small businesses a level playing field and ensuring American innovation can continue to be the envy of the world," Pelosi said.
    Yay partisan politics...

Anyhoo, if passed into law the Internet (insofar as it's experienced by users in America) would once again be classified as a utility under Title II of the U.S. Telecommunications Act, as it was prior to 2017's Restoring Internet Freedom Order, passed by a vote (along party lines) by the FCC under Ajit Pai.

Sources: CNBC, The Verge (1) (2)
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have people on this very board who oppose net neutrality. Mostly because they don't understand what it is and how it works.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    We have people on this very board who oppose net neutrality. Mostly because they don't understand what it is and how it works.
    I happen to support Net Neutrality. But I have met many who do oppose it, and for principled reasons. I disagree with their views, but for them I wouldn't go as far to say they don't understand it simply because we have different views.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I happen to support Net Neutrality. But I have met many who do oppose it, and for principled reasons. I disagree with their views, but for them I wouldn't go as far to say they don't understand it simply because we have different views.
    Well, I was actually talking about one particular individual. The stuff he posts to support his opinion makes no sense. Several people pointed it out, but he still doesn't get it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Is anyone surprised the politicians involved were representing California?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you like your internet, you can keep your internet.

I am excited by this, it worked so well with health care and everything else the politicians touch.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Is anyone surprised the politicians involved were representing California?
    Nope... Silicon Valley has big stakes in this. They will push for regulations that will end up costing everyone more, and stifle competition. Get ready for your bit meter/QoS meter government filtering, and government required eavesdropping.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Well, I was actually talking about one particular individual. The stuff he posts to support his opinion makes no sense. Several people pointed it out, but he still doesn't get it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Mayhap he is a trollbot??? <_< >_>

They're *everywhere*, yanno...

Device(s)
    Cingular/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Nope... Silicon Valley has big stakes in this. They will push for regulations that will end up costing everyone more, and stifle competition. Get ready for your bit meter/QoS meter government filtering, and government required eavesdropping.
    You mean "deregulations", right?

Device(s)
    Googlerola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
    You mean "deregulations", right?
    No, regulations is correct. Moving the Internet back to utility status creates additional regulations. Which some are concerned will invoke the law of unintended consequences.

Personally, I see both sides to this sucking. I don't trust corporations, nor the politicians they own.