Thread: Why can't SafeLink Wireless activate a Note 4 Verizon (SM-N910V)

Feedback Score

Why can't SafeLink Wireless activate a Note 4 Verizon (SM-N910V)

I've been approved for free service with SafeLink Wireless based on my low income. I've been trying to transfer my phone and current number with Straight Talk over to SafeLink for the past week, yet they keep sending me the wrong sim card. I have a Galaxy Note 4 Verizon (SM-N910V), which I believe should be unlocked from what I have read on the internet. During signup, I was asked to choose between two sim card types: T-Mobile or GSM Unlocked. I chose the GSM unlocked, yet they sent me a T-Mobile card. I tried it anyways but it kept giving me the error: No sim or sim error. I called SafeLink, and went around and around with them. Finally, I got someone who said I needed a Verizon Compatible sim. So they charged me another $1, and I finally received the new Verizon Compatible sim today. OMG! I want tell the whole story, but it did NOT work either. Come to find out two hours later, the rep said this Verizon Compatible card will only work with Straight Talk phones, so I can't use this sim to activate my phone with SafeLink.

So, I'm still with Straight Talk, yet I have qualified for free service with SafeLink, but I have no idea what I need to do to get my phone to work with their service, nor does it seem they do either.

I noticed the sim kits they sent me are different: The first actually says SafeLink sim kit, which has the T-Mobile sim, the other kit says Tracfone sim kit, which has the Verizon Compatible sim. Shouldn't there be a GSM Unlocked sim kit as that was the option I clicked originally from their website?

Any suggestions or anyone experienced in these types of situations? Also, is there a sim card that is considered GSM unlocked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Modify_inc View Post
    I've been approved for free service with SafeLink Wireless based on my low income. I've been trying to transfer my phone and current number with Straight Talk over to SafeLink for the past week, yet they keep sending me the wrong sim card. I have a Galaxy Note 4 Verizon (SM-N910V), which I believe should be unlocked from what I have read on the internet. During signup, I was asked to choose between two sim card types: T-Mobile or GSM Unlocked. I chose the GSM unlocked, yet they sent me a T-Mobile card. I tried it anyways but it kept giving me the error: No sim or sim error. I called SafeLink, and went around and around with them. Finally, I got someone who said I needed a Verizon Compatible sim. So they charged me another $1, and I finally received the new Verizon Compatible sim today. OMG! I want tell the whole story, but it did NOT work either. Come to find out two hours later, the rep said this Verizon Compatible card will only work with Straight Talk phones, so I can't use this sim to activate my phone with SafeLink.

So, I'm still with Straight Talk, yet I have qualified for free service with SafeLink, but I have no idea what I need to do to get my phone to work with their service, nor does it seem they do either.

I noticed the sim kits they sent me are different: The first actually says SafeLink sim kit, which has the T-Mobile sim, the other kit says Tracfone sim kit, which has the Verizon Compatible sim. Shouldn't there be a GSM Unlocked sim kit as that was the option I clicked originally from their website?

Any suggestions or anyone experienced in these types of situations? Also, is there a sim card that is considered GSM unlocked?
    Regardless they should all work. Almost sounds like your phone is blacklisted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

You’d have to use the Verizon compatible sim... the GSM side is T-Mobile. The Verizon note 4 only supports band 4 on T-Mobile LTE. Service will poor if any at all.

If you want to use safe link you’ll have to get a different phone.

Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    You’d have to use the Verizon compatible sim... the GSM side is T-Mobile. The Verizon note 4 only supports band 4 on T-Mobile LTE. Service will poor if any at all.

The GSM side is at&t too.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Why can't SafeLink Wireless activate a Note 4 Verizon (SM-N910V)

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    The GSM side is at&t too.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Would also be just as limited on AT&T. Lots of areas will be stuck on 3G only. Which is planned for shut down around 2022. A lot of areas LTE coverage is improved over 3G

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All SafeLink phones I've activated for people have been on T-Mobile network so you'd need a T-Mobile phone for the correct network bands

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I also have a Note 4 At&t model N910A, shouldn't it work? I assume I can use the T-Mobile Compatible sim that SafeLink sent me in it. I also noticed on the fine print of the T-Mobile Compatible sim, it said "For T-Mobile compatible or unlocked GSM devices." So, if this one card can do both types, then why does SafeLink ask you during sign up to choose between two types of sim cards: T-Mobile or GSM Unlocked. That really makes no sense to me. I provided an image of my choices, and it clearly shows I selected the GSM Unlocked version. I went with the most likely choice, since I knew T-Mobile was not similar to Verizon, but then I knew Verizon was CDMA, so I still wasn't confident selecting the GSM Unlocked sim. And I work in technology; I can only imagine the frustration that others, who are less tech savvy, are able to steer through this mess.

Attachment 161920Attachment 161920
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I also have a Note 4 At&t model N910A, shouldn't it work? I assume I can use the T-Mobile Compatible sim that SafeLink sent me in it. I also noticed on the fine print of the T-Mobile Compatible sim, it said "For T-Mobile compatible or unlocked GSM devices." So, if this one card can do both types, then why does SafeLink ask you during sign up to choose between two types of sim cards: T-Mobile or GSM Unlocked. That really makes no sense to me. I provided an image of my choices, and it clearly shows I selected the GSM Unlocked version. I went with the most likely choice, since I knew T-Mobile was not similar to Verizon, but then I knew Verizon was CDMA, so I still wasn't confident selecting the GSM Unlocked sim. And I work in technology; I can only imagine the frustration that others, who are less tech savvy, are able to steer through this mess.

Attachment 161920Attachment 161920
    The reason they ask... is because if you have a T-Mobile phone your good to go. But they also want to make it clear if it’s not T-Mobile it needs to be gsm unlocked. A few carriers do this.

The AT&T note 4 is a lot more compatible as it has band 12 which is important. Still missing a few bands. But it does have the important ones for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    All SafeLink phones I've activated for people have been on T-Mobile network so you'd need a T-Mobile phone for the correct network bands

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Aren't the sim cards for T-Mobile and At&t phones compatible with each other? I know I've read that somewhere. I ask because I also have a At&t Note 4 (N910A) and will try to use it instead, though I really wanted to use my Verizon Note 4 since it picks up much better in my area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Aren't the sim cards for T-Mobile and At&t phones compatible with each other? I know I've read that somewhere. I ask because I also have a At&t Note 4 (N910A) and will try to use it instead, though I really wanted to use my Verizon Note 4 since it picks up much better in my area.
    No. Never has been.

To use a T-Mobile phone on AT&T it’ll have to be unlocked.

To use an AT&T phone on T-Mobile it’ll have to be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Safelink is a Tracfone service. You are allowed to use Tracfone/Verizon service with them. I wonder if the problem is that the phone is locked to Straight Talk. Sometimes there have been problems trying to switch from one Tracfone company to another.

If you haven't figured out the problem yet, you might have better success talking to Tracfone chat. Tracfone chat will help you if you already have a Safelink account and just need to switch phones or something. You have to talk to Safelink if you need help with your benefits, but Tracfone handles your service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No. Never has been.

To use a T-Mobile phone on AT&T it’ll have to be unlocked.

To use an AT&T phone on T-Mobile it’ll have to be unlocked.
    Correct. While they have both carriers have used GSM technology for several years, the SIM cards for each are not now or have they ever been compatible. The SIM card # has a sequence of numbers and a certain group of those #s indicates which carrier it is used on.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by myun View Post
    Safelink is a Tracfone service. You are allowed to use Tracfone/Verizon service with them. I wonder if the problem is that the phone is locked to Straight Talk. Sometimes there have been problems trying to switch from one Tracfone company to another.

If you haven't figured out the problem yet, you might have better success talking to Tracfone chat. Tracfone chat will help you if you already have a Safelink account and just need to switch phones or something. You have to talk to Safelink if you need help with your benefits, but Tracfone handles your service.
    I didn't realize TracFone handled the service part, I thought SafeLink handled all of it. This should help a lot because now I can contact TracFone with my issue rather than butting heads with SafeLink over and over again.

And what is the deal with SafeLink's call centers, as soon as I'm transferred over to them the phone quality drops terribly. It's like their entire call center has a bad or weak phone signal, which makes it so frustrating trying to have a normal conversation with them.

When calling SafeLink, I have to confirm that the rep is with SafeLink. I can't count the number of times after talking with a rep, I got the message "Thank you for calling Straight Talk or even TracFone, rather than SafeLink. When selecting 6 for technical support it would always transfer me to a Straight Talk rep. Other times a SafeLink rep would transfer me to a Straight Talk rep without informing me. I think that is what happened when I tried to have the Verizon compatible sim activated that they sent me. After about an hour or more trying to get my active Straight Talk phone transferred to SafeLink, the rep somehow managed to reactivated my already active Straight Talk phone using that new Verizon compatible sim card, that was supposed to be for SafeLink. Imagine my surprise and frustration when I got the text, "Welcome back to Straight Talk." I was furious...hopefully for the bad phone reception, the rep didn't hear all the things I was shouting.

SafeLink seems to be a joke, sometimes I feel like I'm being punk'd, like no company can possibly sustain themselves running a business in this fashion. Then to my surprise, I find out SafeLink is considered to be one of the biggest and longest running providers available...I just don't get it.

Sorry for my rant, SafeLink has just frustrated me to no end

Feedback Score
    You should be able to do a phone swap with Tracfone chat, but you need to already have existing service with Safelink set up. Then you need to tell them you need to transfer your Safelink number to your new Verizon phone. I don't know if you can reuse the existing SIM if it was already activated on Straight Talk. If not, you can purchase a Tracfone 4 in 1 SIM kit for a dollar at Target or Best Buy that will work with Safelink. Just don't buy the SIM kit at Walmart as they often charge 10 times as much.

Let us know if you get it worked out.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry for the extreme late reply!

I did finally manage to get my Verizon Note 4 to work with SafeLink. I just had to go through Tracfone to get it done. I ordered a Verizon-compatible sim card directly from Tracfone and then had Tracfone activate it under my SafeLink account. It's been working great for a while now, just forgot to reply.

Thanks for all the suggestions!