Thread: Mobile Website feature Wish List

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Mobile Website feature Wish List

When not on a PC, Mac, or ChromeBook with a full-blown browser, I access Howard Forums with the mobile website.

I know the arguments likely to be made about ditching that and using the official Tapatalk-based app (I use Android devices primarily), but for me that's just not going to happen.

The mobile website, when I'm mobile, is largely adequate. But one thing I'd like to see tweaked is:

When looking at the main page list of sub-forums on mobile as compared to a desktop browser, you can't see the date and time of the most recent post. You have to go one level further in and open one of the sub-forums and it's there you can see the date/time of the most recent post by thread.

It would be really handy (to me) for this to be more like the full-blown version and see that info without having to go that far in (to the thread level).

Just a thought. It doesn't majorly wrinkle my experience.

Thanks for reading.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I completely agree with the above.

I would also like to request that PMs be available in the Default Mobile Style.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I may not understand fully what you mean by "default mobile style". On my tablet and phones I use https://www.howard forums.com and the site always renders the mobilized version. I'll admit I've never tried m.howard forums.com. Used to use wap.howardforums.com with pre v8.0 Opera Mini.

I will say though, that I just went through a weird phase (using Naked Browser) where I couldn't stay logged in between page changes, and eventually the mobilized site wasn't presented to me, as if the browser's user agent wasn't being correctly interpreted.

Well, it turned out that in one device with Naked I had my bookmark for HoFo entered without the "www", and I also did not have it set to clear cookies on exit (history and cache yes). I was entering the sitemwith one URL style, and when switching pages they are all linked with www in their URL. I believe this, with the build-up of cookies, caused my problem.

As soon as I cleared the cookies and straightened out my main HoFo bookmark, it's been smooth sailing!

And I see the PM notifications at the top of the browser window in a little oval or round icon with the number of new messages in my Inbox, which I can select to open.

Plus those strange never-explained waffle-looking icons at the top have a logon selection and the other has navigation to various limited features of the mobilized site, including the Inbox or Messages or whatever (can't recall the verbiage).

Don't know of that's what you're after or missing, but that's what I get.

Just don't forget to select text and copy those long posts (like this one) before trying to post! Ha-ha!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Additional: Had to go to the Full Site selection to edit.

I would totally have lost that post submission if I hadn't copied it! If, using this browser, I just try to use the Back key, it just either goes to a blank page or shows the browser check page. Got to copy your post before submitting for assurance.

And speaking of going to the Full Site from Mobile, that would be my next item on the wish list! Make an edit selection available on the mobilized site!

More additional: That edit made its own separate post after saving! How weird! First time I've seen that!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I go into the forum settings and select Default Mobile Style. Ironically, I have to go into Full Site mode to edit the settings to get to Default Mobile Style! I DO have the ability to edit my posts using Default Mobile Style.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't have thought of doing rhat in a million years! I'll have to check that out and see what the layout is, if any different.

So you make that selection just once, and it holds for just that device/browser, or any device you log in with?

Have you used what I'm using? Namely, just accessing the main URL with a mobile device and letting things fall where they may? Google Chrome for Android should default to being seen as a mobile browser, even though you can select desktop if desired. Some other browsers (maybe all mobile) should be able to do that, such as Naked, which is what I usually use. I just refer to Chrome as a kind of standard benchmark.

Don't understand how you would've approached it the way you have initially.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I wouldn't have thought of doing rhat in a million years! I'll have to check that out and see what the layout is, if any different.

So you make that selection just once, and it holds for just that device/browser, or any device you log in with?

Have you used what I'm using? Namely, just accessing the main URL with a mobile device and letting things fall where they may? Google Chrome for Android should default to being seen as a mobile browser, even though you can select desktop if desired. Some other browsers (maybe all mobile) should be able to do that, such as Naked, which is what I usually use. I just refer to Chrome as a kind of standard benchmark.

Don't understand how you would've approached it the way you have initially.
    If you set Default Mobile Style, it goes to that on every device.

Yes, I think I have, and I think that's when I don't see the option to edit my posts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I went to Settings while on my laptop PC and selected Default Mobile Style.

The only place I notice any difference is on the PC, which then looks just like the mobile site rendering I see when on my tablet or phone (without any Settings changes).

While on the PC I also set it to Mobile Style (right under Default Mobile Style). Didn't see a difference between those two on the PC, although I didn't go digging around to see what was present under the covers, so to speak. Like trying to edit a post.

I'm corn-fused.

So you, when using the PC where you're limited to IE 11, like to use the Default Mobile Style? Why is that?

Additional: After posting the previous section, I went and changed the style again to DMS, then came back to this post to add something, and I saw the little Edit Pen icon in the lower right border bar.

I went into that and attempted to edit this post, BUT IT DELETED THE ENTIRE POST! Luckily I was able to use the Back button on the browser and had to select ALL (because it wouldn't allow me to select by placing the insertion point as normal). Was able to do that and come back and paste it in and do this (after putting the site back to "normal" settings and removing a lot of extraneous text). Weird.

Didn't catch through that exercise if I'd see the Edit button on my tablet or phone browser. Panic set in!

Maybe this deleting thing was affected by my use of the Opera desktop browser. Too much to experiment with at this point; too late.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I use Default Mobile Style on my computers just because it's a simpler, cleaner, faster interface. I don't need fancy and I enjoy simplicity. If I use Mobile Style, I don't see the edit icon to be able to edit posts, whereas I do see it with Default Mobile Style, in both IE 11 and in Naked Browser.

What you describe about a disappearing post when you tried to edit it, I've never experienced that on a desktop with IE 11. I HAVE experienced that with Naked Browser on my phone from time to time.

Feedback Score
    What do you mean by naked browser?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Naked is another brand of mobile browser app, available for Android. It's pretty bare bones, but fast, and doesn't take up much room on your device, as it use Android System Web View as its underlying "engine". Its not for everyone, but I'd say check it out. There's a free as well as a paid version.