Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile + Sprint will cover 96% of Rural America

Feedback Score
    I completely agree about the broad stroke of a paint brush when it comes to coverage maps... I hate it!!

For comparison check out this eerily accurate coverage map of one of Denmark's carriers, TDC.

https://daekning.tdc.dk/tdcnetmap_ext_tile2/

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 5.00.52 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  55.5 KB

And closer to a tower...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 5.01.52 PM.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  38.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    I completely agree about the broad stroke of a paint brush when it comes to coverage maps... I hate it!!

For comparison check out this eerily accurate coverage map of one of Denmark's carriers, TDC.

https://daekning.tdc.dk/tdcnetmap_ext_tile2/

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 5.00.52 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  55.5 KB
    Looks like a cheese pizza.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Looks like a cheese pizza.
    You get a gold star

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    TMobile doesn't even accurately cover what it claims today. I have no reason to believe that it will cover 96% of rural America if it doesn't cover what it currently claims it does.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    TMobile doesn't even accurately cover what it claims today. I have no reason to believe that it will cover 96% of rural America if it doesn't cover what it currently claims it does.

I'll be surprised if the deal passes unless serious concessions are part of it.

Each week seems like new opposition.

I'm in favor of it though.

Plus I think TMobile blew it with the no increase for 3 years. Should have been more like 10

The next hearing TMobile could pull it all together and pull it off though so anything is possible

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm still in the belief that it will ultimately pass.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Its probably not helping their case about prices with att raising prices recently after their deals

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Must have been one of those Windows Mobile phones you were using.
    Missed this one earlier!

When Verizon finally killed off free QNC (14.4kbps!) data a few years ago, I hung up the PP Windows Mobile phones and moved to an Android Moto E (3G rather than 4G to use the $10/120 days PP Pay-Go plan) and in two years used it only a couple of times (the only times that I specifically remember were two different trips to a lake campground southeast of Bailey, Colorado where the Verizon coverage was almost as bad as AT&T's or T-Mo's. All three services cut in and out of service there depending on location, time of day, and weather. Coverage maps of all carriers show full coverage at that location, of course!)

I very rarely find myself without at least voice/text roaming coverage with T-Mo these days, so T-Mo's 100MB/month roaming data limit is more of a barrier for me than any lack of coverage is.

Since I need data more than voice or text for my T-Mo backup, and PagePlus' Paygo data was too expensive, I finally let my PP account lapse, and now use an (AT&T-based) FreedomPop prepaid 1GB/month SIM as my backup. When Target or Best Buy run a sale, you can grab a 3-month 1GB/month SIM for $10, or a 12-month for $35. (The latter is currently on sale at Target.)

$3.33/month for 1GB of AT&T data is about as reliable, far more versatile, and almost as cheap as PP's $10/120 day PayGo plan. When my FP SIM expires, I toss it and activate a new one, avoiding giving FP any credit card (or personal) info (other than a throwaway email address.) When I'm not traveling, the SIM is parked in my AT&T ZTE Trek 2 LTE tablet, which justifies the small cost even further ($3/month beats the minimum $10/month tablet plan that T-Mo offers.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    So whats to stop a company from making empty promises and then once the merger gets approved, then just not follow through? Case in point: at&t promised lower prices when they were arguing for the time warner merger. The judges approved it, and what do we have now? actually they raised the prices of their direct tv now offering, while simultaneously cutting channels.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They already claim to cover 99% of Americans though.. I’d really like to see a proposed coverage map to get an idea of the geographical coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    So whats to stop a company from making empty promises and then once the merger gets approved, then just not follow through? Case in point: at&t promised lower prices when they were arguing for the time warner merger. The judges approved it, and what do we have now? actually they raised the prices of their direct tv now offering, while simultaneously cutting channels.
    If they aren't going to cover 100% of USA after the merger, they sure as hell won't do it without the merger so that is hardly an impediment or consideration to approve the merger.

The only real issue is competition that the govt considers. Will the competition be better or worse after a merger ? Will it be beneficial in that regard to consumers ? I say yes. The specter of "price increases" held over the merger is a red herring. Dozens of MVNOs will and do undercut the carriers they ride on. Which means you can get the same coverage as at&t, verizon, tmobile or sprint by hitching on one of their MVNOs and suffer slightly slower speeds and prioritization in return for much better pricing.

There is really no case for not allowing the merger, at least from the govt's perspective.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    ......The only real issue is competition that the govt considers. Will the competition be better or worse after a merger ? Will it be beneficial in that regard to consumers ? I say yes. .....
    MVNOs are entirely dependent on their host carriers. The only reason the carriers are willing to cut deals with MVNOs is because of fierce competition. It's really like arguing that we don't need more than one car manufacturer because Ford and Mercury compete. They don't. Fewer carriers, reduced competition, worse deals for MVNOs, higher prices. We might as well get used to it.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    MVNOs are entirely dependent on their host carriers. The only reason the carriers are willing to cut deals with MVNOs is because of fierce competition. It's really like arguing that we don't need more than one car manufacturer because Ford and Mercury compete. They don't. Fewer carriers, reduced competition, worse deals for MVNOs, higher prices. We might as well get used to it.
    I thought carriers were obligated to sell them data at "wholesale" rates, which allows the MVNOs to offer cheaper services because of low overheads.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    I thought carriers were obligated to sell them data at "wholesale" rates, which allows the MVNOs to offer cheaper services because of low overheads.
    Sorry but that's incorrect. Roaming rates are required to be "reasonable" but AT&T's idea of "reasonable" is a long way from T-Mobile's. The FCC has declined to resolve the issue.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast