Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TF "Executive Resloutions" Still Exist?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    MQ4Y2LL/A is a TracFone companies model of the A1662. The number I saw on Best Buy is TFAPISEC32SVPBBET3. Not sure where they got that.
    I kind of thought TracFone iPhones came with Apple packaging.
    I found that thread on Best Buy, saw the inconsistencies from TF reps about GSM. There was even a reply from a TF rep that the os couldn't be updated, it was locked by TF. Thank you for pointing me to those Q&As!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you send the phone back unopened Tracfone may have every right to make you pay return shipping. It is an indication you did not make any effort to verify the phone will not work. The person making the decision to hold out return shipping from your refund will not know what has transpired so far with other CSR`S.

You have been told a simple SIM swap will harm nothing... yet will prove conclusively if AT&T will or will not work. Why do you hesitate? Did you really not want the phone?
    The phone reps read the transcripts of the chats - they quoted them, they know at least some of what transpired. I have a ticket number for the issue, and free return shipping. Of course, who knows if they will honor anything?

I want the phone, or I wouldn't have purchased it. I did all the background checking prior to purchase, to make sure I could use the phone. When it arrived I specifically asked TF reps, they specifically answered that it will not work. The chats and ticket number confirm I made many hours of effort!

I've never purchased something, opened it, then returned it. That it is expected... I had no idea.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your help and advice!

So... since they expect phones to be opened (I thought an unopened box was better, they could easily resell it) I'm game to try this, and move my present SIM to the new phone.

I realize I will lose the promotional time, minutes, etc. since they are tied to the new Verizon SIM card. Not thrilled, but not a deal breaker.

If it works, how would I add the phone to my account? Or I wouldn't? Do the phone number, time, minutes, etc follow the SIM, so if I'm using my present SIM (it is TMFL BYOP GSM) it all will be in the new phone?

Would there be any problem adding time to the new phone, if it isn't officially activated on my account? I'm guessing though it is a Tracfone branded phone, it wouldn't be considered as such because of the SIM, so like the present phone, I won't see things like the $49 for 1 year add on, until/unless they change that, again?

If, as expected, it works with my present SIM, is there any benefit to attempting to activate a new, unused BYOP GSM SIM?

I'm sorry for all the questions, and greatly appreciate the help!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tftess View Post
    I'm sorry for all the questions, and greatly appreciate the help!
    Let's take one step at a time. Let's try your current AT&T SIM in the new iPhone first and see if it works. If it works, we can tell you how to get the bundled time (if any), and whether or not to activate a new SIM. If it doesn't work, there's no point in explaining all that.
    Last edited by hpham; 03-02-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Feedback Score

Would there be any problem adding time to the new phone, if it isn't officially activated on my account? I'm guessing though it is a Tracfone branded phone, it wouldn't be considered as such because of the SIM, so like the present phone, I won't see things like the $49 for 1 year add on, until/unless they change that, again?
    With a SIM swap you would not have the new phone in your account. The BYOP SIM is not tied to a TracFone branded phone, so you don't get the promotional add-ons under the (undocumented) rules currently in effect.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If so, is there a specific phone number for them?

I bought the TF iPhone SE that was recently on amazing sale. Received it today. First checked here on how to transfer from my present, BYOP phone.

Contacted TF chat on Sunday, to make sure the phone would work with GSM (Apple iPhone SE is both GSM and CDMA), was assured it would, and I'd be receiving both SIMS.

Phone arrived today, only CDMA SIM.

I've been on with Chat for two hours, the last hour waiting for a supervisor. The agent insists the phone is "Tracfone branded" and "provisioned" for CDMA, and can't, won't, impossible to work with GSM. Thankfully, I didn't open the box, only the little blue Tracfone pouch.

I need this resolved, or for them to arrange for the phone return at no cost to me, and full refund. Waiting for a chat supervisor doesn't seem to be doing anything. Maybe Executive Resolution, if it still exists?

Thank you!!
    It's unlikely that it's locked at all if it's for Verizon, since it's not legal to lock phones that are used on Verizon's LTE network. I bought a Note 9 from Total Wireless (a Tracfone brand), when they had it for $200 off. I thought that it would be locked for a year but it was unlocked.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...cFone-SafeLink where Trafcone was able to allow the user to have an AT&T SIM in a phone: "Got it! I bought an AT&T BYOD SIM card, popped it in the iPhone, called up TF, gave them the SIM card number, waited almost exactly 4 hours and had my service working along with my balance/data."

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    It's unlikely that it's locked at all if it's for Verizon, since it's not legal to lock phones that are used on Verizon's LTE network.
    It's perfectly legal. The agreement is between the FCC and Verizon. It only applies to devices for post-paid service. Lots of VZW Pre-paid devices are locked.

It also has no bearing on TF or other MVNOs that use Verizon's network.

"I bought an AT&T BYOD SIM card, popped it in the iPhone, called up TF, gave them the SIM card number"
    That was activating a GSM BYOP SIM. As far as TF is concerned the phone (IMEI) was not activated.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I realize I will lose the promotional time, minutes, etc. since they are tied to the new Verizon SIM card.
    You could activate on Verizon to get the promo then transfer to a BYOP SIM.

Lets see the results of the test first.

Feedback Score
    HOORAY!!!

Thank you for the encouragement and wisdom! Former GSM, BYOP kit SIM in new iPhone. I can send and receive calls and texts. The TF Account app on the phone shows correct date, minutes, etc. I'm not sure if I need to check anything else, but... it works!!

What is the next step?

Is it possible to get the promotional time, minutes from the SIM they sent?
    Is it possible to get this activated on my TF account?
    Is it possible for this to be considered a TF-branded phone (which it is), rather than BYOP?

Thank you, thank you!

PS - What I care about most, is being able to add service days. If it's easier/better to simply ignore it all and not make any changes, I can do that.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear the BYOP GSM SIM works in the new phone.

If the iPhone came with bundled units/days, you'll need to activate the phone WITH THE SIM THAT CAME WITH IT to claim them. So, you need to do this:
    1. Use Chat, ask the rep for your current balances/days, then ask the rep to activate the new phone WITH A TRANSFER from your BYOP GSM SIM. Ask the rep for balances/days after the transfer, and a ticket number. Copy and save the chat transcript to a text file on your computer for record.
    2. After the transfer is completed, with correct new balances/day, wait until the next day (so the transactions have different dates, easier to sort out if things go wrong), use Chat to transfer everything from the new phone back to a new BYOP GSM SIM (TF doesn't reuse a GSM SIM). Do not mention to the rep what phone you'll be using the BYOP SIM with. They don't need to know, and an IMEI is not required when activating a BYOP GSM SIM.
    3. Use the new BYOP GSM SIM in the new phone.

The online transfer seems to have problems when going from one carrier to another. That's why I suggested using Chat.
    Last edited by hpham; 03-04-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    When deciding which phone to offer the 365-day add-on, I don't know if TF go by a phone's IMEI or the SIM number. So, I can't say whether or not a BYOP SIM being used in a TF-branded phone will get the offer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    When deciding which phone to offer the 365-day add-on, I don't know if TF go by a phone's IMEI or the SIM number. So, I can't say whether or not a BYOP SIM being used in a TF-branded phone will get the offer.
    Thank you! Once this dance is over, I'll report back whether the offer is there.

Feedback Score
    Good to hear the BYOP GSM SIM works in the new phone.

If the iPhone came with bundled units/days, you'll need to activate the phone WITH THE SIM THAT CAME WITH IT to claim them. So, you need to do this:
    1. Use Chat, ask the rep for your current balances/days, then ask the rep to activate the new phone WITH A TRANSFER from your BYOP GSM SIM. Ask the rep for balances/days after the transfer, and a ticket number. Copy and save the chat transcript to a text file on your computer for record.
    2. After the transfer is completed, with correct new balances/day, wait until the next day (so the transactions have different dates, easier to sort out if things go wrong), use Chat to transfer everything from the new phone back to a new BYOP GSM SIM (TF doesn't reuse a GSM SIM). Do not mention to the rep what phone you'll be using the BYOP SIM with. They don't need to know, and an IMEI is not required when activating a BYOP GSM SIM.
    3. Use the new BYOP GSM SIM in the new phone.

The online transfer seems to have problems when going from one carrier to another. That's why I suggested using Chat.
    Thank you!

Stage 1 is done, though he wouldn't give me updated balances/days, etc, since it hadn't finished processing. However, TF sent me a text with the correct, updated to include the promotion, balances and days. Phew!

Now to patiently wait for tomorrow, to move this to the GSM BYOP SIM.

(Neither the tracfone app, nor the tracfone.com site, offer me the 365 day $49.99 add-on.)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Now to patiently wait for tomorrow, to move this to the GSM BYOP SIM.

(Neither the tracfone app, nor the tracfone.com site, offer me the 365 day $49.99 add-on.)
    Before you transfer back to the BYOP GSM SIM, you might want to consider staying with Verizon. The benefits are:
    1. With the phone being TF-branded and used with its original SIM, there's a better chance that you'll be offered the 365-day add-on. I know it's not there right now, but wait a few days and see.
    2. VoLTE calls on Verizon (with the other party also on Verizon VoLTE) have very clear quality. You'll be pleased.
    3. A CDMA/Verizon SIM can be reused, which helps when you need to transfer service to/from another phone, won't need to get a new SIM.

For Android phones, there's an app called Network Signal Info that displays the cell signal strength numerically and also in a graph. Easy to compare. Check the Apple App Store and see if there's a similar app for iPhones. If yes, install & run it, then let us know what it shows.

Feedback Score
    Before you transfer back to the BYOP GSM SIM, you might want to consider staying with Verizon. The benefits are:
    1. With the phone being TF-branded and used with its original SIM, there's a better chance that you'll be offered the 365-day add-on. I know it's not there right now, but wait a few days and see.
    2. VoLTE calls on Verizon (with the other party also on Verizon VoLTE) have very clear quality. You'll be pleased.
    3. A CDMA/Verizon SIM can be reused, which helps when you need to transfer service to/from another phone, won't need to get a new SIM.

For Android phones, there's an app called Network Signal Info that displays the cell signal strength numerically and also in a graph. Easy to compare. Check the Apple App Store and see if there's a similar app for iPhones. If yes, install & run it, then let us know what it shows.
    iPhones let you go into Field Test Mode, which shows signal strength. I regularly checked on the old phone, especially when things seemed dicey, it regularly in the mid -90s with GSM. Before I swapped out the SIM, I checked and it was -96. (In older OS there was a way to use that rather than the useless bars, but they removed that ability.)

I've checked the Field Test with the Verizon SIM numerous times from different areas in my house, the best was -106, the worst -110.

I certainly can wait and see how it is out and about in terms of strength, before making any switch.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast