Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cricket to stop activating non HD Voice devices next year?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Sure it would make sense. I'm sure that Cricket pulls a ton of user information off of their Cricket branded devices that they can sell to interested parties (advertisers, etc.). Also I suspect that customers like me that bring an unlocked BYOD device (in my case a OnePlus 6) are in the minority. Never forget Cricket is owned by AT&T, which has a proven track record of some pretty consumer unfriendly actions.
    Years ago, the fine print in a Cricket contract stated you agreed to have your phone wire tapped if it was deemed necessary by law enforcement. A number of criminals were caught this way in some areas. Not sure if that is still the case now.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    And what counts as "activating"?

I go to signup for Cricket service, and they won't allow me to startup service with a non certified phone?

Or will it apply anytime you move SIM?

Otherwise, as long as service is continuous, and you have an active SIM, I would think you could still place it into a non certified phone and use it until the network turn off date.
    If they are like other companies, you will not be able to switch your account to or start a new line of service on a phone that is not allowed on their list of approved phones. This was done, in part, because the company knew you would limited or no service at all in certain areas with those phones. It's a way to avoid the whole Band 12 fiasco that T-Mobile had years ago.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Years ago, the fine print in a Cricket contract stated you agreed to have your phone wire tapped if it was deemed necessary by law enforcement. A number of criminals were caught this way in some areas. Not sure if that is still the case now.
    I haven't dug into the contracts, but I'd bet that's standard fair to cover their butts when answering a police request for tapping. Because in some states it's illegal to record a conversation unless all parties are aware.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    There is no such law. There's a voluntary agreement between the CTIA and the major carriers, including AT&T, where they agree to unlock customers phones if certain conditions are met. Cricket requires 6 months paid service before they will unlock a phone.
    " Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act"

You just repeated exactly what I said minus the whole "that's not a law" statement.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So I bought a Samsung S9 from cricket but it's not on the VoLTE list? S7, S8, S10 are there but no S9. What the heck?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nWaves View Post
    So I bought a Samsung S9 from cricket but it's not on the VoLTE list? S7, S8, S10 are there but no S9. What the heck?
    according to this - https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...galaxy-s9.html
    it's compatible.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You're right, it says HD Voice capable. Do I need to do something to enable it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nWaves View Post
    You're right, it says HD Voice capable. Do I need to do something to enable it?
    is there a setting under mobile network ?? or try dialing *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu
    should show, select phone information scroll down a bit and you should see
    some provisioning switches for VoLTE WIFI calling ect.

try making a call, if it stays on LTE while on a call then VoLTE is working
    if it falls back to 4G of H+ then it's not working or your area may not have VoLTE setup yet.

Device(s)
    SE T616, Samsung x426
    Carrier(s)
    ATT GSM (x5)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VoLTE is working on my Nokia 6.1 & Moto Z2 Force unlocks phones after I switched SIM cards with wife's Huawei Elate (and I did chat with online support but in retrospect I don't think it is necessary). After switched back to our original SIM cards, both wife and my phones are all on LTE during voice calls now.

I am in Eastern MA & Rhoda Island.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2