Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a flip phone that is 4G - AT&T locked is OK

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score

Please recommend a flip phone that is 4G - AT&T locked is OK

My sister-in-law finally did the math and realized that she can save money by cancelling her landline. She keeps my old Samsung Solstice 2 in the glove compartment but now she's going to start using it regularly. I have this phone on the H2O paygo plan and I'll switch to the $20/mo plan since she only talks. She won't use a smartphone and probably won't ever learn to text. She is technologically challenged and very set in her ways. Don't bother suggesting any type of smartphone. Even the Solstice 2 is too complicated for her since it has a virtual keypad.

Problem is, it's 3G and will quit working on Dec 31 of this year, right? (Or is that CDMA phones?) Regardless, I would like to get her a reliable flip phone that will work for the foreseeable future.

It can be locked to the AT&T network since H2O works for her, and in fact AT&T has good coverage where she lives and other networks don't. I know there was already a thread about this very thing, but I can't find it.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    My sister-in-law finally did the math and realized that she can save money by cancelling her landline. She keeps my old Samsung Solstice 2 in the glove compartment but now she's going to start using it regularly. I have this phone on the H2O paygo plan and I'll switch to the $20/mo plan since she only talks. She won't use a smartphone and probably won't ever learn to text. She is technologically challenged and very set in her ways. Don't bother suggesting any type of smartphone. Even the Solstice 2 is too complicated for her since it has a virtual keypad.

Problem is, it's 3G and will quit working on Dec 31 of this year, right? (Or is that CDMA phones?) Regardless, I would like to get her a reliable flip phone that will work for the foreseeable future.

It can be locked to the AT&T network since H2O works for her, and in fact AT&T has good coverage where she lives and other networks don't. I know there was already a thread about this very thing, but I can't find it.
    Only issue is at the current moment H2O only uses 3G for voice calls. So changing phones won’t make a difference at the moment. Except data.

So only difference of getting an LTE compatible phone would be for data usage. Unless you move her to AT&T, AT&T prepaid, or cricket for VoLTE.

It’s Verizon cdma for the end of 2019. AT&T is not going to be sunsetting 3G for several more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The other thread you mentioned is at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-several-years

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Only issue is at the current moment H2O only uses 3G for voice calls. So changing phones won’t make a difference at the moment. Except data.

So only difference of getting an LTE compatible phone would be for data usage. Unless you move her to AT&T, AT&T prepaid, or cricket for VoLTE.

It’s Verizon cdma for the end of 2019. AT&T is not going to be sunsetting 3G for several more years.

This is exactly why I'm a member of this forum. Thanks for the information. I trust that the same applies to texting (without using an app) because maybe, just maybe, she would be willing to text on an old slider phone such as the LG Xpressions or Samsung Intensity. In the meantime I won't be in any hurry to replace the Samsung Solstice. Thanks again.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge Moto E4/E2/G4-G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I would recommend Consumer Cellular. They have a $20/month plan with unlimited minutes only. They have a Doro flip-phone that will do VoLTE (on AT&T). Their coverage on AT&T is like postpaid, with some US roaming included. If she has AARP, she can get another 5% off.

Consumer Cellular offers coverage from AT&T and T-Mobile, and if you don't specify AT&T they may give you T-Mobile. So be sure to specify AT&T. I believe the phone and plan can be purchased at Best Buy (and maybe Target).

Feedback Score
    Have been using an LG B470 flip, had a ZTE Z223 and a Moto Atrix before. All were good for talk & text.

H2O is about the cheapest reliable MVNO for AT&T network. 5c/min, lasts 90 days.
    Keep track of your phone usage, it it's over 100 min/month, get an unlimited plan.

Feedback Score
    AT&T PREPAID Cingular Flip 2 Prepaid Feature Phone

Buy it at your local Walmart or Online: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-PREP...elow/581538359
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    FreeUp Mobile offers FREE Cellphone service on the AT&T Network. I am currently using two free lines with them.

https://www.freeupmobile.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusWarrior View Post
    FreeUp Mobile offers FREE Cellphone service on the AT&T Network. I am currently using two free lines with them.

https://www.freeupmobile.com
    Can’t use that with a flip phone/dumb phone as I’m pretty sure it uses a app to make calls and texts

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can’t use that with a flip phone/dumb phone as I’m pretty sure it uses a app to make calls and texts

Nope free up uses calling and texting from the towers not an app... They don't have an app for non-international plans... Only problem with the free plan is you have to enable it every single month from your account on a computer... I got fed up with that requirement and now pay them $10/month which is still one of the best price for UTNT plan especially on ATT towers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Believe it or not, I use one of my FREE lines with a Home Phone base, just like this one...

... Works perfectly fine. Currently on my second month of FREE service.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've got one of those wireless home phone boxes... I use freeup with it and pay $10/month for unlimited calling and texting... i have the same device as the current one AT&T uses on the 100gb for$100 plan wireless home phone plan.. works really good for just having a backup

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As mentioned before, FreeUp offers free 1000 talk/text on the AT&T network.
    As an aside, why was your sister-in-law still paying for a landline? She just as easily could have been using an Obihai device with Google Voice and have a free landline. I've had that setup for 8 years with my home phone and haven't paid a home phone bill since then.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    As an aside, why was your sister-in-law still paying for a landline? She just as easily could have been using an Obihai device with Google Voice and have a free landline. I've had that setup for 8 years with my home phone and haven't paid a home phone bill since then.
    She has since cancelled her landline and cable TV which were bundled. She's younger than I am, but very much stuck in the past and afraid to take advantage of technology, even when it would save her money. So the idea of the GV/Obihai combination would overwhelm her.

Anyway, she seems to be content with the Samsung Solstice that I gave her and I'm not going to suggest any other phone as long as I know that that one will continue to work for her indefinitely. She complains that she is out of the loop with her sisters who text back and forth all day long. I might be able to convince her to use my old LG Xpression which is a slider and would make it easier to text since you can use the physical keypad instead of a virtual keypad. She's also dealing with a mental/emotional challenge which makes learning new things especially difficult.

I don't know anything about FreeUp. Isn't that the MVNO that you have to respond to surveys or watch ads or something in order to get your free minutes?

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast