Thread: hw to boost signal living in country with large yard

Feedback Score

hw to boost signal living in country with large yard

My home is in the country. I have installed a Verizon Network Wireless Extender Model SCS-U01. My signal is fine around the house. My understanding is this device is good for about 40'. I need something that will give me good reception 100-200' in the yard. I am older and want to wear the Apple watch to make calls if I am in an emergency situation. So having a strong signal in all of the yard is critical, potentially life saving . I don't have that today, except in the immediate house

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hewitt View Post
    My home is in the country. I have installed a Verizon Network Wireless Extender Model SCS-U01. My signal is fine around the house. My understanding is this device is good for about 40'. I need something that will give me good reception 100-200' in the yard. I am older and want to wear the Apple watch to make calls if I am in an emergency situation. So having a strong signal in all of the yard is critical, potentially life saving . I don't have that today, except in the immediate house
    Get VZW to put up another tower would be the one option. There isn't really anything to help outside accept towers

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    My grandpa's unit is in the front window, and it covers his house and yard fairly well

He's in a spot with ZERO service for a few miles in either direction though.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    do any other networks besides verizon that have good coverage at your house ??

Feedback Score

hw to boost signal living in country with large yard

When I had a Sprint Airrave you could ask them to turn up the signal strength to cover a larger area.

That could be an option for you.

Also it is not difficult to configure outdoor WiFi for using WiFi calling on a phone. Not sure how that would work on the watch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My home is in the country. I have installed a Verizon Network Wireless Extender Model SCS-U01.
    Do you mean you have model # SCS-2U01 ? Isn't that just a 3G/CDMA model? I may be wrong. Regardless of getting the signal outside you'll be needing to upgrade to a 4G/LTE booster (and phone) by the end of the year. Do you have 3G ? I live in the country too and could use a booster for 3G. Started getting a bad CDMA/Ev-DO signal over recent months. Upgraded my phones to 4G/LTE (VoLTE) and working fine. If you're still 3G maybe a phone upgrade will improve you to not even needing a booster. Maybe I'm confusing a booster vs extender.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If the extender has a Ethernet port and you're willing to spend $300 you could add in a Amplifi HD mesh system. It's supposed to cover 10,000 square feet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Boosters and extenders have come a long way. Have you looked into something like Life Alert? Also, if you want a signal booster for extended ranges, you have a number of options. This page has links to a number of articles on outdoor boosters. Some are for broadband but there's also phone boosters too.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    wifi + wifi calling

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    Since you mention you have an Apple Watch, I am going to assume you have a fairly recent model of iPhone. As long as you have a decent home broadband connection (i.e. not an older satellite or dial-up), you could just extend you WiFi network outside with extenders or additional access points and use WiFi calling on the iPhone and Apple Watch.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you can’t get reliable signal, then I wouldn’t rely on an Apple Watch for emergencies. WiFi 911 calling isn’t guaranteed.

I would instead suggest looking into a landline and possibly a life alert type pendant if emergency calling is a concern.

Landline also provide 911 with an exact address immediately, cell phones do not.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    The OP wants the signal in the yard. How will a landline help?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The OP wants the signal in the yard. How will a landline help?
    I was commenting on the part where the OP stated the use was for emergencies and offered a viable solution. WiFi isn’t something to rely on in an emergency.