Thread: Getting very frustrated with TMobile's rural (or lack of) coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    While you're waiting for a reply to that, here's the post where he details his work as council member:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17053601
    Thank you for this.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    There's no evidence of that.

T-Mobile and Metro-by-T-Mobile have several compelling features that are major reasons for customer adds. Price. International roaming on T-Mobile (everyone I know on T-Mobile cites this reason). Free Netflix on T-Mobile. Free Amazon Prime on Metro-by-T-Mobile. These are freebies that the top tier carriers don't offer, and for customers that aren't concerned about coverage outside of urban areas these features outweigh coverage.

And of course don't forget free tacos. That may be the biggest reason for people to switch to T-Mobile. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmo-tuesdays-free-tacos. I see the long line of T-Mobile customers getting a free taco and I'm jealous.

Attachment 161784
    You Posting “Free Tacos is the biggest reason for people to switch to T-Mobile” was just insulting T-Mobile customers again. You singled out Taco's As if you think T-Mobile has a lot of Latin America customers. Really how many times have you called T-Mobile a second tier Network since in your opinion T-Mobile has to give away free stuff to get and keep customers...

You don’t even know what you are talking about as you insult T-Mobile customers. AT&T has their own Customer Thanks program but I don’t consider AT&T a top tier network since their coverage sux, their customers service is rude and nasty. However the overrated overpriced AT&T has their own Thanks program that you have ignored several times as you used that Free Stuff claim that makes T-Mobile a 2nd Tier Network.

Also, Verizon still has a customer Rewards program but just not accepting new customers.

T-Mobile is taking both Verizon and AT&T customers since T-Mobile is a better company that is meeting customers needs. I fired AT&T since they didn’t come close to the quality of T-Mobile.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-02-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I believe it's important that elected officials disclose that they directly receive paid contracts from Verizon (as in this case) because promoting or disparaging a competing telco in a public forum could be considered a conflict of interest.
    You bring up a very good point. In addition, said person has already admitted to taking bribes in his official status in the post I recently linked to:

The bribes I receive are amazing!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    They're definitely sprinkling new sites in the mix but there's more upgrade sites in the markets I'm in. I'm not completely sure what the ratio is but they might cut back on some new sites in anticipation of the merger and then create "new" sites when they go to integrate old Sprint sites with their gear.
    I wonder how many Sprint sites are in areas where T-Mobile doesn't already have coverage. But the increased volume may require that the Sprint sites be kept active anyway.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Feedback Score
    .... I have several friends, relatives, and colleagues on T-Mobile, and while they complain about the domestic coverage they stay because of international roaming. I'd rather have good domestic coverage and use either a global SIM card or a country-specific SIM card. Google Voice makes this very practical. I've been very happy with Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) so far. Very good pricing for family plans with shared data, but no international or domestic roaming. My only complaint is that I don't get free tacos at Taco Bell. I see the long line of T-Mobile customers getting a free taco and I'm jealous.

Attachment 161784

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Verizon may be cool, but it will never be "free tacos and pink capes on Tuesdays" cool

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Lately I've had to be doing more international roaming. I was in China last September, speaking at trade fair, and I had my business iPad with Verizon and had my employer pay for international roaming. For cellular I bought a prepaid Hong Kong China Unicom data-only SIM card from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBE3IE which worked great. I used Google Voice with it. I also had a global SIM card in second phone because I wasn't sure if Google Voice would work in China, but since the China Unicom SIM was from their Hong Kong entity it wasn't subject to "The Great Firewall."

So while the included SMS, 20˘/minute voice, and 128Kb/s data on T-Mobile is a nice feature, IMVAIO it's not something that I would want bad enough to give up U.S. domestic coverage. Even a free taco every Tuesday isn't enough to get me to switch, though I do like Rubio's Taco Tuesdays https://www.rubios.com/menu/weekly-deals/taco-tuesday-2.

Two people traveling with me had T-Mobile which worked fine for them for voice and text, but the data was very slow so they either tethered onto my iPad or used the hotel's Wi-Fi. They hadn't realized that they should have paid the extra $5 daily fee for LTE data, but for an eight day trip that's $40, much more than buying a SIM card.

Also, while unlimited data sounds wonderful, the reality is that average data usage on metered plans is about 1.6GB per month. 37.5GB split four ways is far more data than my family would ever use.

I'm going to Europe in June and again in September, and found that a prepaid SIM card in the EU is a much better deal than international roaming.

On A1 for €20 you get 8GB in Austria, 8GB in the rest of the EU, 1000 minutes and 1000 texts, or for €20 you get Internet only 16GB Austria and 6GB rest of EU & EEA. This is significantly cheaper than paying the $5/day charge that T-Mobile U.S. charges for LTE data.
    Or just have the OnePlus addon, which gives 256kbps data... and is 100% usable for anything but video streaming, or a flat $50/mo gives you 15GB to use over there with 5GB of hotspot.

Although, i do travel around the world for a living so have an actual use for these things... T-Mobile has been great both domestically and internationally for me, and from experience using the Dual-SIM setup I have in my iPhone.. the Verizon service is usually the first to go to **** when i'm somewhere crowded.

Now, i will say when i'm in California i seem to magically get 100+Mbps on Verizon a good chunk of the time, but unfortunately Verizon does not employ that much over-engineering everywhere they cover and I get to experience that unfortunately on a regular basis

It may be true that verizon "covers" said area, but nobody said it would be more than borderline useless Band 13 that can barely load anything.

Quite honestly, what I do miss though was Sprint's original "OpenWorld" plan, it was a flat $30/GB billed in per-KB increments. I would use google maps when out, occasionally look up something, but do all my uploads/downloads when on WiFi, and would usually rack up no more than $15 for a 2-3 week trip, as pre-caching google maps actually saves a ton of data, and other than just streaming random music, i did not miss anything I usually do.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Verizon may be cool, but it will never be "free tacos and pink capes on Tuesdays" cool
    Agreed, Verizon is boring and smug. No free Taco Bell tacos. No free Dunkin' Donuts. No free Redbox rentals. No free socks. No free Lyft ride. T-Mobile is more fun. I wonder how many T-Mobile customers take advantage of all those offers.

Verizon's attitude reminds me of the law of supply and demand that Robert Klein talked about, "we have all the supply so we can demand whatever the heck we want," though he didn't use "heck."

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    You Posting “Free Tacos is the biggest reason for people to switch to T-Mobile” was just insulting T-Mobile customers again. You singled out Taco's As if you think T-Mobile has a lot of Latin America customers. ......
    This is just silly. Would you be making Mafia comments if he'd said "free pizza"? It just turns out that tacos are the current promo item. BTW, I don't know any Hispanic person who'd touch a Taco Bell. They're far too discerning to eat that crap.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This is just silly. Would you be making Mafia comments if he'd said "free pizza"? It just turns out that tacos are the current promo item. BTW, I don't know any Hispanic person who'd touch a Taco Bell. They're far too discerning to eat that crap.
    I don't know many non-Hispanics that would touch that stuff either. However, with or without a free T-Mobile Taco Bell taco, it's worth visiting the world's most scenic Taco Bell: https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...ifornia-2017-6 .

BTW, now you know why Howard Forums has the "ignore" feature. Who has time for this silliness? I was not insulting anyone. I doubt that anyone signed up with T-Mobile in order to get one free, not-very-good, taco per week. But the absurdity of a wireless carrier trying to entice new customers with the promise of one free Taco Bell taco per week is just so great that mentioning it could not be resisted.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    I doubt that anyone signed up with T-Mobile in order to get one free, not-very-good, taco per week.
    You bashing the T-Mobile giveaways has nothing to do with rural coverage. It just illustrates that your only reason to post here is to constantly criticize T-Mobile in every form and at every angle.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But the thing is that you can't reject a cell tower based on health concerns, whether or not there are any valid concerns. There are valid reasons that a tower might not get approved, but fears of radio waves are not one of those reasons.
    I am fighting this on two fronts with the beliefs in my neighborhood and my parents' neighborhood that cell sites cause cancer, on top of the aesthetics concerns. It's absurd but is still a real fear in these parts for some reason. I don't expect new sites to get built here or there unless no one knows about them. This is like stopping an irresistible force with an immovable object. For now, I think it's time to start putting them on peoples' homes who are friendly to the idea, like me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I am fighting this on two fronts with the beliefs in my neighborhood and my parents' neighborhood that cell sites cause cancer, on top of the aesthetics concerns. It's absurd but is still a real fear in these parts for some reason. I don't expect new sites to get built here or there unless no one knows about them. This is like stopping an irresistible force with an immovable object. For now, I think it's time to start putting them on peoples' homes who are friendly to the idea, like me.
    It's very hard to fight this with logic because it's all emotion. The fact is that an actual concern is the SAR from a phone held to your ear for extended periods of time, and the way for the SAR to be lower is for the phone to be nearer to a cell tower.

One suggestion someone had was to use a RF Field Strength Power Meter (i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183148550264) to demonstrate the difference between what a phone is emitting and what a cell tower is emitting. But the response when you do that is that the tower is always there, always on, but the cell phone is only used occasionally.

A big issue is cell towers at schools. Schools are attractive locations for carriers because usually a city can't regulate public school sites, plus the sites are often in neighborhoods with no commercial buildings where towers could be put without any protests. There's a Sprint tower at the high school where my kids went, and other carriers wanted to put in towers, but the school district was pressured into refusing.

As soon as someone, or a group, tries to fight a cell site with claims of health concerns from the radiation, they've lost. Governments can't use those concerns as a reason to not approve a cell site. Aesthetics are another story. A homeowner can't lease their back yard to a carrier for a cell site. With 5G, even the aesthetic argument goes away.

The 1900 MHz carriers were at a severe disadvantage because they need far more towers to cover a given area, you can't just put a tower at the edge of an area and get the coverage that an 850MHz carrier can get.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-03-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    It's very hard to fight this with logic because it's all emotion. The fact is that an actual concern is the SAR from a phone held to your ear for extended periods of time, and the way for the SAR to be lower is for the phone to be nearer to a cell tower....
    The ignorance is strong with the NIMBY Tinfoil-Hat brigade.

I bet the vast majority of the population would be shocked and surprised that federal law prohibits state and local government from discussing or considering the RF emissions of a cell. See the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Of course, the local regulators can still deny a cell site based on other factors, like not being in keeping with the local aesthetic.

The NIMBY Tinfoil-Hat brigade is incapable of understanding that the power of cell emissions by the time it gets to the phone in our hand is ~ -75 dBm max. That is 0.000000000032 Watts. The phone they are holding next to their head is putting out about 0.6 Watts. The phone next to your head is exposing you to 19 billion times more RF than the cell. The cell is just nothing to worry about.

There are some truly obsessed in the NIMBY Tinfoil-Hat brigade who eschew all forms of RF in their lives - cellphones, cordless phones, microwave ovens, Wifi, Bluetooth, wireless xbox controllers, tire pressure sensors, etc. I bet the nutters don't know that tire pressure sensors are little RF transmitters.

The truly obsessed are few in number. Most are irrationally selective in their emotional outrage.

We have an analogous situation going on here. A ~3500 acre, 500 MW PV solar installation has been proposed in rural Virginia timber land. The statements from the NIMBY Tinfoil-Hat brigade parade at county board meetings are astonishing. We had one farmer say that it would cause his cows to miscarry and give blue milk. Someone who identified themselves as a nurse said that this was new, unproven technology. Yet still, these people are allowed to breed.

As Monty Python aptly said, "And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space. Cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth."
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 03-03-2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: corrected solar installation size

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

I bet the vast majority of the population would be shocked and surprised that federal law prohibits state and local government from discussing or considering the RF emissions of a cell. See the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Of course, the local regulators can still deny a cell site based on other factors, like not being in keeping with the local aesthetic.
    I advise people to not bring up RF emissions because if a site is denied, even for an unrelated reason, then the carrier can claim that it was RF emissions that was the basis for the denial.

Generally the carriers want to not create too much controversy and will select sites that are not going to be objected to, but sometimes strange things happen. One carrier wanted a site on top of a building, and the only request was that they hide the equipment with an equipment screen so the equipment wouldn't be visible from surrounding housing units. It would only have cost a couple of thousand dollars. The carrier refused and they didn't get the permit. One carrier fought for years to put a cell site behind a supermarket that backed up to a residential neighborhood, and finally relented and instead put in a light pole cell, but with no back-up generator.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's not just cell sites. It's more than that. Smart Meters for gas and electric which have been installed in many areas are also objected to. You can opt out but it'll cost you extra because they have to send out a meter reader.

Or you can buy one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283169310084

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast