Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Getting very frustrated with TMobile's rural (or lack of) coverage

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    At the time I originally got T-Mobile service, this was a major consideration. We split our cellular business between CSpire, who had terrible international roaming but fantastic domestic coverage and T-Mobile, which was just the opposite (grandfathered Omnipoint rates). The international roaming has become less important since my retirement but is still handy for vacations. The 2-for-$60 55+ plan covers 98% of our needs and PagePlus takes care of the other 2%. Looking forward to the day I won't need PagePlus.
    Lately I've had to be doing more international roaming. I was in China last September, speaking at trade fair, and I had my business iPad with Verizon and had my employer pay for international roaming. For cellular I bought a prepaid Hong Kong China Unicom data-only SIM card from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBE3IE which worked great. I used Google Voice with it. I also had a global SIM card in second phone because I wasn't sure if Google Voice would work in China, but since the China Unicom SIM was from their Hong Kong entity it wasn't subject to "The Great Firewall."

So while the included SMS, 20¢/minute voice, and 128Kb/s data on T-Mobile is a nice feature, IMVAIO it's not something that I would want bad enough to give up U.S. domestic coverage. Even a free taco every Tuesday isn't enough to get me to switch, though I do like Rubio's Taco Tuesdays https://www.rubios.com/menu/weekly-deals/taco-tuesday-2.

Two people traveling with me had T-Mobile which worked fine for them for voice and text, but the data was very slow so they either tethered onto my iPad or used the hotel's Wi-Fi. They hadn't realized that they should have paid the extra $5 daily fee for LTE data, but for an eight day trip that's $40, much more than buying a SIM card.

Also, while unlimited data sounds wonderful, the reality is that average data usage on metered plans is about 1.6GB per month. 37.5GB split four ways is far more data than my family would ever use.

I'm going to Europe in June and again in September, and found that a prepaid SIM card in the EU is a much better deal than international roaming.

On A1 for €20 you get 8GB in Austria, 8GB in the rest of the EU, 1000 minutes and 1000 texts, or for €20 you get Internet only 16GB Austria and 6GB rest of EU & EEA. This is significantly cheaper than paying the $5/day charge that T-Mobile U.S. charges for LTE data.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post
    Not really. It was clearly a marketing statement to get people to switch over to T-Mobile that were concerned about coverage issues or perhaps to retain customers that were frustrated with T-Mobile's coverage at the time.
    Marketing statement? It was just a quote in an exclusive cnet interview.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-v...ext-12-months/

Cnet is not a widely-read information source. It's services a very targeted audience and they were just updating them on the state of their expansion.

There's no evidence they were trying to trick people into switching or trick people from leaving by making false statments about upcoming rural coverage.

As the cnet article states, their LTE coverage was only 311 million at that time in 2016. In the time since then, they have substantially increased the amount of people covered by LTE just as they said they would do. (325 million today.)

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-q4-2018-earnings

But they never said they would cover everybody.
    Last edited by jet1000; 03-01-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That was a nothing more than a giant marketing exercise. They knew damn well their coverage didn't and still doesn't match Verizon's thus they stated "materially close the gap" instead of just "close the gap" so they could weasel their way around it if called out on their BS.

Its been stated many times, but I will re-emphasize that if T-Mobile's coverage was on par with Verizon's, they would charge Verizon prices, period.
    If there's one thing that John Legere is good at, it's marketing. No other wireless company has someone like him. Not sure how many people are trading good coverage for free tacos though https://www.droid-life.com/2019/02/0...co-bell-tacos/! If they could offer a free In N Out burger then that would be another story. Seriously, this is getting absurd. When pay phones were deregulated and there was a surge in private pay phones being installed, one satirical article mentioned that one company was offering a free bowl of chili with every call placed.

The wireless companies are probably about the best at weasel words of any industry, and T-Mobile is not alone. Remember Cingular's "Fewest Dropped Calls," a claim that even the company that they hired to do the testing said was not really true--Sprint sued claiming that Sprint had the fewest dropped calls then Cingular sued them back https://www.wired.com/2007/08/att-ditches-few/. And of course if you think about it, to have a dropped call you first have to be able to make a call, so a carrier with good urban coverage but no rural coverage might actually do well with that metric.

Then there were AT&T and T-Mobile re-labeling their W-CDMA/HSPA service as 4G because they didn't have a 4G LTE network to compete against Verizon. Now we have AT&T's "5GE" which they're already being sued over by Sprint https://bgr.com/2019/01/08/t-mobile-...ndroid-update/. Verizon tends to just laugh off these bizarre claims by the other carriers, but Sprint likes to sue over them.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    Right. People are not necessarily switching to T-Mobile because their supposed coverage is on par with AT&T and Verizon.

Stating that T-Mobile's coverage must be good enough due to all of their net postpaid subscriber additions (some of those are free lines BTW) is an irrelevant statement.
    But better coverage is the major reason for customer adds, and which is why T-Mobile has made it a priority to cover Americans everywhere they go. because Americans don't want their phones to be dead just because they go a few miles away.

The coverage isn't "good enough" for most cell customers in the US, but it is better. and it's a lot different from what T-Mobile was a few years ago with a tiny amount of coverage which made the company itself "irrelevant".

The company making the network better in the most important way it can is very much a winning strategy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    If there's one thing that John Legere is good at, it's marketing. No other wireless company has someone like him.

The wireless companies are probably about the best at weasel words of any industry, and T-Mobile is not alone. Remember Cingular's "Fewest Dropped Calls," a claim that even the company that they hired to do the testing said was not really true--Sprint sued claiming that Sprint had the fewest dropped calls then Cingular sued them back. And of course if you think about it, to have a dropped call you first have to be able to make a call, so a carrier with good urban coverage but no rural coverage might actually do well with that metric.

Then there were AT&T and T-Mobile re-labeling their W-CDMA/HSPA service as 4G because they didn't have a 4G LTE network to compete against Verizon. Now we have AT&T's "5GE" which they're already being sued over by Sprint. Verizon tends to just laugh off these bizarre claims by the other carriers, but Sprint likes to sue over them.
    Sprint was probably correct. As tiny as it was, and as tiny as it is, Sprint has the fewest calls. Period. Fewer calls made means fewer calls dropped.

And Sprint actually has had poor urban coverage, with thousands fewer urban areas covered compared to the other networks.

The really tiny wireless company in Wisconsin called Bug Tussle has far fewer dropped calls, for that matter.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    But better coverage is the major reason for customer adds...
    There's no evidence of that.

T-Mobile and Metro-by-T-Mobile have several compelling features that are major reasons for customer adds. Price. International roaming on T-Mobile (everyone I know on T-Mobile cites this reason). Free Netflix on T-Mobile. Free Amazon Prime on Metro-by-T-Mobile. These are freebies that the top tier carriers don't offer, and for customers that aren't concerned about coverage outside of urban areas these features outweigh coverage.

And of course don't forget free tacos. That may be the biggest reason for people to switch to T-Mobile. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmo-tuesdays-free-tacos. I see the long line of T-Mobile customers getting a free taco and I'm jealous.

Attachment 161784
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Unless you need your hand held, phone subsidies, etc. Then just move to a MVNO or carrier 2nd label. And you'll save a **** load of $. That's why you moved to TM from AT&T you said.
    That works okay for most people using an AT&T or Verizon MVNO, but not for a Sprint or T-Mobile MVNO. The reason is that most MVNOs don't include roaming. Even for AT&T and Verizon there are areas where you need to roam, but not nearly as many as with Sprint or T-Mobile. Also. even with a T-Mobile MVNO you don't qualify for a free Taco Bell taco every Tuesday.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    There's no evidence of that.

T-Mobile and Metro-by-T-Mobile have several compelling features that are major reasons for customer adds. Price. International roaming on T-Mobile (everyone I know on T-Mobile cites this reason). Free Netflix on T-Mobile. Free Amazon Prime on Metro-by-T-Mobile. These are freebies that the top tier carriers don't offer, and for customers that aren't concerned about coverage outside of urban areas these features outweigh coverage.

And of course don't forget free tacos. That may be the biggest reason for people to switch to T-Mobile. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmo-tuesdays-free-tacos. I see the long line of T-Mobile customers getting a free taco and I'm jealous.

Attachment 161784
    You said you were a city council member (elected official) here in CA. What city do you work for?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    You said you were a city council member (elected official) here in CA. What city do you work for?
    I think it's troll-union anti tmobile county

Feedback Score
    While you're waiting for a reply to that, here's the post where he details his work as council member:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17053601

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What’s it matter? Are you going to snitch on someone for what they said on a forum? Childish.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    What’s it matter? Are you going to snitch on someone for what they said on a forum? Childish.
    Nobody is snitching. I think some wonder why so much anti tmobile sentiments are brought out. Some consider me a troll and even I don't get the anti tmobile rhetoric at that level.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    They're definitely sprinkling new sites in the mix but there's more upgrade sites in the markets I'm in. I'm not completely sure what the ratio is but they might cut back on some new sites in anticipation of the merger and then create "new" sites when they go to integrate old Sprint sites with their gear.
    From what you've seen, do they seem as aggressive as att is with the band 14? Both seem to do it in spurts where it ramps up then maybe slows, then ramps up again

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    LOL. If you've ever been a public official, you know that you have to have a thick skin because you're always going to have someone upset with you. For three years I've been getting abusive e-mails from one person who signs every e-mail with his and his wife's name. Or so I thought. It turns out that he's not married, he's signing with his and his dog's name. I set up an auto-response which thanks him for his interest in our city's performance. It's not legal to just delete those e-mails.

On Howard Forums, I have reluctantly began to use the "Ignore" feature, after reading Tolstoy's quote “He disliked contradiction, and still more, arguments that were continually skipping from one thing to another, introducing new and disconnected points, so that there was no knowing to which to reply.” ― Leo Tolstoy. If someone starts a thread about coverage, and a bunch of people start responding with statistics on net customer additions, there's no point in replying--and it's always the same three or four people that do that sort of thing.

In terms of wireless, the only thing that's been coming up to the city recently is the aesthetics of the 5G cells. The carriers do want to cooperate because they want good publicity and they also want to sell their service to the local governments for IOT. While our IT person has reached out to multiple carriers, only one has expressed any interest in moving quickly. Prior to me being on the council we had many cell tower applications that resulted in some meetings with a lot of people objecting. But the thing is that you can't reject a cell tower based on health concerns, whether or not there are any valid concerns. There are valid reasons that a tower might not get approved, but fears of radio waves are not one of those reasons.
    Last edited by smsgator; 03-02-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I believe it's important that elected officials disclose that they directly receive paid contracts from Verizon (as in this case) because promoting or disparaging a competing telco in a public forum could be considered a conflict of interest.

You came late to the conversation and that is not your fault.

Not everyone on this forum is some young kid posting from his mother's basement sans an agenda. When there are potentially other nefarious works at play I wholeheartedly believe in full disclosure.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast