Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Readies 60-day phone lock policy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    There is no reason to lock them for 60 days.
    They could lock phones with the requirement that unlocking requires a visit to the store for identity authentication of the primary account holder.

A 60 day lock is an attempt to end around the agreement they made and should not be allowed.
    exactly. The time delay has absolutely nothing to do with security and fraud prevention.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    exactly. The time delay has absolutely nothing to do with security and fraud prevention.
    Also, like SO many things VZW has done (the 'fraud' for texting on the app for schools and orgs), where is the proof this SUDDENLY skyrocketed requiring drastic measures?

They've owned that spectrum for over a decade now, how were they mitigating theft before? Also, if theft has just been on a steady rise, why weren't they addressing it 3, 5, or 7 years ago?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    That’s some dizzying intellect. LOLF. Great way to start the weekend.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    And if Jack Hagar wants to control what we do with the phones that we have bought and paid for, I think we should all charge him rent.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    This will be a super pain for people who are getting verizon dual sim devices with second lines on other carriers. Verizon's policy is why I bought an iPhone XS from them instead of from AT&T -- because I knew I could use my verizon iphone with both a verizon SIM and AT&T esim out of the box, but if I got an AT&T iPhone it wouldn't work the other way unless I jumped through the unlock hoops.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There have been conflicting reports about whether phones under device payment plans can be unlocked after 60 days, or if they have to be paid off. If after 60 days, someone with an active account and who has been keeping their account up to date will still be able to use the phone with a local SIM on an international trip. If have to pay off first, then adds difficulty. Which is how companies like ATT work.
    Interesting article. https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-as...k-down-phones/

It says
    Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    AT&T requires you to pay off your phone and be active on your service for at least 60 days. Even then, there's a 14-day wait after you make your request. Sprint also requires that you have paid off your phone and wait 50 days, though the phone is automatically unlocked. T-Mobile has the same paid device requirement and a 40-day wait period, but will offer to temporarily unlock the device sooner for travel. Even after the policy goes into effect, Verizon will automatically unlock its phones after the 60-day period, regardless of whether the device has been paid off. The company will also still accept unlocked phones from other carriers. The policy change could still inconvenience customers who buy a new phone and then go overseas. One way of saving on international roaming fees is to buy a SIM card from a local carrier. Verizon didn't address this scenario in its filing with the FCC.

Feedback Score
    Looks like the FCC approved it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Looks like the FCC approved it.
    The other carriers have a unlock policy. no big deal. Except those that say "but...but... band 13 rules" and those wanting to do shady stuff. Maybe now Verizon will offer better deals that don't require a new line now that they know phones are locked in for 60 days. Seriously what non shady person gets a phone then leaves in less than 60 days? It would be a rare legitimate case

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    This does reduce the utility of dual SIM phones bought from Verizon.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The other carriers have a unlock policy. no big deal. Except those that say "but...but... band 13 rules" and those wanting to do shady stuff. Maybe now Verizon will offer better deals that don't require a new line now that they know phones are locked in for 60 days. Seriously what non shady person gets a phone then leaves in less than 60 days? It would be a rare legitimate case
    Exactly what's shady about those of us who have been for Verizon for 15yrs and keep Verizon because we travel and $10/day travelpass is a joke?

I also have my work AT&T line on the main SIM and Verizon on my eSIM, i'm not sure what's so shady about that?

I pay $500/mo ($350 in service) to Verizon for the 8 lines on my account, have never once been late... So please, tell me what's shady about what I do?

Just because YOU do not have the need for an unlocked phone, the rest of us starkly disagree
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Exactly what's shady about those of us who have been for Verizon for 15yrs and keep Verizon because we travel and $10/day travelpass is a joke?
    What does you traveling have to do with anything? And oh by the way just happen to travel overseas with 60 days of getting a phone how often is that a real thing? 5% I guess never leave Verizon because the other 3 carriers have similar unlock policies

I also have my work AT&T line on the main SIM and Verizon on my eSIM, i'm not sure what's so shady about that?
    Never said their was. You infer something that was not implied. Hmmmmm.

I pay $500/mo ($350 in service) to Verizon for the 8 lines on my account, have never once been late... So please, tell me what's shady about what I do?
    Never said you were but the fact you infer that might say a lot.....Why so defensive over nothing. Hmmmmm.

Just because YOU do not have the need for an unlocked phone, the rest of us starkly disagree
    It's not lock forever. 60 days. Buy on today June 26 an it's unlocked on August 24th. Is that such a burden? First world problems I guess. Also if you insist on an unlocked phone immediately for your non-shady needs then you can buy straight from the manufacturer. So I'm not really seeing the issue. You want a Note 10 when it comes out immediately unlocked? Congrats! You can get one straight from Samsung

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    What does you traveling have to do with anything? And oh by the way just happen to travel overseas with 60 days of getting a phone how often is that a real thing? 5% I guess never leave Verizon because the other 3 carriers have similar unlock policies

Never said their was. You infer something that was not implied. Hmmmmm.

Never said you were but the fact you infer that might say a lot.....Why so defensive over nothing. Hmmmmm.

It's not lock forever. 60 days. Buy on today June 26 an it's unlocked on August 24th. Is that such a burden? First world problems I guess. Also if you insist on an unlocked phone immediately for your non-shady needs then you can buy straight from the manufacturer. So I'm not really seeing the issue. You want a Note 10 when it comes out immediately unlocked? Congrats! You can get one straight from Samsung
    I have an issue because this is what Verizon agreed too for the Spectrum they so desperately needed to roll out their LTE network.

Verizon agreed to something, and needs to be held accountable for it. Just as if i agreed to something with Verizon bet your *** they'll gladly charge me if i violate my original terms and conditions.

I've worked for 3 out of the 4 telcos, and trust me.. most of the "shady" things happen directly at UPS/FedEx when phones fall off trucks. T-Mobile had a huge issue of it for years until they finally sued UPS and made them *actually* do something about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I have an issue because this is what Verizon agreed too for the Spectrum they so desperately needed to roll out their LTE network.
    You do realize things change that it's not 2007 and 10X10 band 13 is not as special( which was the reason for the rule )as it once was. I think T-Mobile's band 71 which is even lower frequency and comes in 10X10, 15X15, 20X20 and even 25X25 blocks is much more valuable and yet has no special rules. And yet you do not seem to have an issue wit their unlock policy.

Verizon agreed to something, and needs to be held accountable for it. Just as if i agreed to something with Verizon bet your *** they'll gladly charge me if i violate my original terms and conditions.
    That agreement came with a right to ask for exceptions and they did and it was granted. I see people on forums demand that Verizon grant them exceptions ALL THE TIME.

I've worked for 3 out of the 4 telcos, and trust me.. most of the "shady" things happen directly at UPS/FedEx when phones fall off trucks. T-Mobile had a huge issue of it for years until they finally sued UPS and made them *actually* do something about it.
    So....? Once again if you can buy the same phone from the manufacturer unlocked what is the issue? You have yet to answer the question.

It's people like you that insist that Verizon follow dumb arcane rules for band 13 which makes me wish that HAD participated in the 600 MHz auction so they could then sell off band 13 and be done with these rules. I find it weird that because some FCC commish more than a decade ago made a rule you like, that you insist the rule be followed. But if THIS commish( who I can't stand by the way ) makes a rule you don't like then it should somehow be circumvented. And you do not see the irony or hypocrisy of that.

If a Dem wins the Presidential election in 2020 it's possible in 2years some FCC commish will rescind this exception. You want to know why BOGOs are only available to new lines as well as most of Verizon's discounts? Insisting they immediately unlock phones. People insist Verizon offer BOGOs to existing lines but also insist phones be immediately unlocked. Yep no fraud would ever happen under that scenario. Hell people do it now WITH the new line requirement though it's more complicated.

Ok make your case, what harm is being done to you? And you can't say access to your devices since phones are available unlocked by the manufacturer.

If you don't insist other carriers have immediate unlock polices too then I cant take you seriously. Feel free to switch carriers

T-Mobile - The device must have been active on the T‑Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.

At&t - Your service must be active for at least 60 days with no past due or unpaid balance.

Sprint - The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I fail to see how this is an issue in 2019.

Unlocked/SIM-free handsets are available from every major manufacturer. That was not the case in the US in 2007.

Times have changed. If you can’t afford an unlocked phone at full price, then you deal with the stipulations the carrier puts on allowing you to pay over time on a 0% interest loan.

If you really travel internationally enough, or seriously have a business need for multiple carriers domestically I don’t see how you couldn’t afford to buy the unlocked phone you need from another source.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I fail to see how this is an issue in 2019.

Unlocked/SIM-free handsets are available from every major manufacturer. That was not the case in the US in 2007.

Times have changed. If you can’t afford an unlocked phone at full price, then you deal with the stipulations the carrier puts on allowing you to pay over time on a 0% interest loan.

If you really travel internationally enough, or seriously have a business need for multiple carriers domestically I don’t see how you couldn’t afford to buy the unlocked phone you need from another source.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I can, but the point is.. verizon made an agreement and they need to be held to it. Plain and simple. I get locking the phone until it's activated on a valid customer's account, or maybe 60 days for new customers.. but for 10+yr customers? no.

This is a very slippery slope, and I'd be willing to bet had democrats still been running the FCC, they would not have even tried this. They just did this because they know the current administration does not care about any of the previous agreements.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast