Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    But...

AT&T considers 3G HSPA to be 4G...

So what are they actually getting rid of?
    For this purpose, it is the technology that is NOT LTE. For data, 4G. But also the voice.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    But...

Unofficially that is designated 3.5G and likely to go away with 3G. LTE/VOLTE is 4G and that is what they are going with until 5G is fully implemented.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I know that HSPA is unofficially considered 3.5G, but AT&T considers it 4G as shown on all their phones.

If they meant everything before LTE, they should state that explicitly as THEY are the ones to muddy the water calling HSPA 4G.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But...

Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For this purpose, it is the technology that is NOT LTE. For data, 4G. But also the voice.
    Man, they really need to create a sarcasm emoji...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone thing VoLTE will ever be standardized so it just works? Like on any phone from any carrier as long as it has the correct bands and is not SIM locked?

You know, like we had using technology 20 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Man, they really need to create a sarcasm emoji...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    YES!!!

Somebody got it...

I'm surprised the didn't say only 5G (e) phones will work.

Feedback Score
    I do not usually activated a GSM cell.

I just pop in my sim.

I do not call the company and tell them that I switched phones.

So, if my sim is ALREADY activated on ATT/ATT PREPAID/CRICKET/ATT MVNO, whats stopping me from just putting my sim, without calling the carrier to activate, into a 4G LTE non-VOLTE phone and use the service?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I do not usually activated a GSM cell.

I just pop in my sim.

I do not call the company and tell them that I switched phones.

So, if my sim is ALREADY activated on ATT/ATT PREPAID/CRICKET/ATT MVNO, whats stopping me from just putting my sim, without calling the carrier to activate, into a 4G LTE non-VOLTE phone and use the service?
    Assuming it is unlocked for the service, nothing. VoLTE , on the other hand, may not work if it doesn't support the ATT version. And I've seen reports that if it isn't supported by ATT that an IMEI check will turn VoLTE off at some point.

Feedback Score

Finally reports of end of 3G

AT&T doesn’t seem ready in rural Colorado to drop 3G/HSPA/4G/HSPA+ whatever you want to call it.

This is a 100 MILE STRETCH mapped on sensory that has only HSPA (some HSPA+ closer to the city and LTE once you reach Colorado Springs).

As you can see in the picture above. Oh and probably a good 50 mile stretch is actually roaming 3G HSPA ! I believe comment is the one they roam onto. Without that 3G roaming lots and lots of land wouldn’t be covered in the picture above.

This is common on many highways in Colorado. Not major highways, but the countless others. So unless they add new towers via firstnet there’s countlesss areas that will drop to no service. Multiple towns still have HSPA (and not even a good signal) even in 2019

Now Colorado is the WORST State in the nation for cell reception due to the mountains
    Last edited by Josh177; 03-02-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    Now Colorado is the WORST State in the nation for cell reception due to the mountains
    I guess they need to dig up those mountains and make the whole state flat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    AT&T doesn’t seem ready in rural Colorado to drop 3G/HSPA/4G/HSPA+ whatever you want to call it.

This is a 100 MILE STRETCH mapped on sensory that has only HSPA (some HSPA+ closer to the city and LTE once you reach Colorado Springs).

As you can see in the picture above. Oh and probably a good 50 mile stretch is actually roaming 3G HSPA ! I believe comment is the one they roam onto. Without that 3G roaming lots and lots of land wouldn’t be covered in the picture above.

This is common on many highways in Colorado. Not major highways, but the countless others. So unless they add new towers via firstnet there’s countlesss areas that will drop to no service. Multiple towns still have HSPA (and not even a good signal) even in 2019

Well 2022 is still a couple of years away and part of doing the upgraded means you ching every tower so that they can add the firstnet bands etc. So I'm sure they won't just ignore that area

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a good move by att and they are giving plenty of advance notice for customers

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    In my limited testing, T-Mobile seems better in Oklahoma than it was a couple years ago. But ATT also seems better for voice now for me with VoLTE support (new on Prepaid, which is my main plan).

A long hands free call on the interstate is a good test. More than 1 or 2 dropped calls is annoying. ATT and Verizon now pass this test on I-44. T-Mobile didn't in 2016 when I tried them for a couple months.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    In my limited testing, T-Mobile seems better in Oklahoma than it was a couple years ago. But ATT also seems better for voice now for me with VoLTE support (new on Prepaid, which is my main plan).

A long hands free call on the interstate is a good test. More than 1 or 2 dropped calls is annoying. ATT and Verizon now pass this test on I-44. T-Mobile didn't in 2016 when I tried them for a couple months.
    I think tmobile has stepped it up some in ok from what it looks like. Hopefully that continues

For me when visiting att usually seemed pretty good in ok but I don't live there so others have better experience I'm sure

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Well 2022 is still a couple of years away and part of doing the upgraded means you ching every tower so that they can add the firstnet bands etc. So I'm sure they won't just ignore that area
    I agree if they upgrade all their towers to LTE it definitely beats HSPA, my only concern is can LTE reach as far as HSPA? I know 700mhz LTE is lower frequency then HSPA, but for whatever reason the signal seems to reach “further”. Like if I go to certain parts of town (2nd largest city in state of Colorado) there is still HSPA+ only areas up in the hilly parts of town. But the closest towers have LTE on them yet it picks up HSPA+ instead only.

This also seems to happen when going say into underground parking lot, sometimes it’ll pick up a 3G/4G signal but not LTE, even though the closest tower has LTE on it. Anyone know why that happens? Or does HSPA actually have better reach/penetration inside buildings?

The biggest problem is the drive of the picture I posted above is so much of it is roaming HSPA. So if AT&T phases out HSPA... Does that mean you cannot roam onto HSPA? Or will you still be able to roam onto them? As some of these areas haven’t had coverage since analog days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast