Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Plan on Out of Province Plans?

Feedback Score

Upgrade Plan on Out of Province Plans?

Just curious if this is something we can do?

******I meant to put upgrade phone******
    Last edited by Beals90; 02-20-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Wrong title

Feedback Score
    You can easily test this discreetly. Just go select the hardware you want, go to the add a plan step and see if the system will allow you to add the hardware to the existing plan. If the available plan options do not include the existing plan, then you cannot do the hardware upgrade. You can safely back out from any of the steps except the final one where you are asked to supply a credit card to complete the order. I assume the OOP plan may have a medium tab limit based in plan price and so hardware upgrade on a higher tab level won't work due to tab size limitation.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    You can easily test this discreetly. Just go select the hardware you want, go to the add a plan step and see if the system will allow you to add the hardware to the existing plan. If the available plan options do not include the existing plan, then you cannot do the hardware upgrade. You can safely back out from any of the steps except the final one where you are asked to supply a credit card to complete the order. I assume the OOP plan may have a medium tab limit based in plan price and so hardware upgrade on a higher tab level won't work due to tab size limitation.
    This.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    OK, so basically can only do tab medium on upgrading phones?

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beals90 View Post
    OK, so basically can only do tab medium on upgrading phones?
    Tab medium and at times it will also increase the price of Tab medium vs what you see on that specific provinces Tab medium.

Ex: QC Tab medium price for Select Phone is $0 upfront + $15/month.

But for you it may be $100 upfront + $15/month

Thats the cost of saving money overall, for most people its worth it.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Looks like my current $48/5GB MB/SK plan would allow a Tab Medium upgrade but nothing more.

On the other hand, in Quebec, the current $49/6GB plan qualifies as a Tab Extra Extra Large So if I were capable of swinging that, a Samsung Galaxy S10e would only be $100 up front and $89/month for 6GB. Whereas in Ontario the XXL plans start at $75/mo BEFORE the Tab charge.

Feedback Score
    TBH, it make zero sense to carry extra monthly cost to elevate the plan tab level. Of course the QC plans are blessed with not having to pay more for the bigger tabs. If the trouble of getting a QC plan is too much, then just buy the phone on a new line and cancel it right away.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    TBH, it make zero sense to carry extra monthly cost to elevate the plan tab level. Of course the QC plans are blessed with not having to pay more for the bigger tabs. If the trouble of getting a QC plan is too much, then just buy the phone on a new line and cancel it right away.
    ... but then I'd have to pay it back right? If I'm going to buy outright then I may as well buy straight from the manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    ... but then I'd have to pay it back right? If I'm going to buy outright then I may as well buy straight from the manufacturer.
    I don't understand what you mean by that. The way Koodo's tab system works is rather unique and different from other carrier brands. Often when there is a promotion for any device, they are targeted to certain so called tab levels. This means that purchasing the device at the targeted tab levels yields the best price. Expensive phones like the newest model of iPhone would have promotions targeted at the higher tab levels such as extra, extra large tab or extra large tab. For someone interested in these expensive phones, access to the larger tabs would obviously be advantageous. Apart from access to promotional pricing for expensive phones, larger tabs allow the customer to take on a larger interest free loan (referred to as tab) over a 24 month period. However, this comes at a cost in provinces like Ontario. The larger tab plans have a premium price which negates any advantage that may come from promotional pricing. It is like buying a lottery ticket every month hoping to "win" a promotional offer for an iPhone XR.

Here is an example based on numbers taken from the Koodo site as of today. The Ontario pricing for a "medium tab eligible" plan with 4GB data, 500 daytime minutes, unlimited text is $50. A plan with the same usage but extra, extra large tab eligibility is $75. That mean you pay over 24 months $25x24=$600 more for the privilege of mortgaging $40x24=$960 interest free for the extra, extra large tab as compared to being able to mortgage $15x24=$360 for a medium tab. In order for it to make sense to get the extra, extra large eligible plan, they would need to offer a $600 promotional discount that is targeted exclusively to the extra, extra large tab. Would anyone want to buy this $600 lottery ticket?

For those in Quebec, $49 gets you an extra, extra large tab eligible plan with 6GB data, unlimited minutes, unlimited text. $49 also gets you a medium tab eligible plan with the same usage. So you understand my comment that QC plans are blessed in not having a higher cost for bigger tab eligibility. This is on top of the cheaper price for more usage that is most evident and typically the reason why those of us in ON/AB/BC want to get an out of province plan.

On the question of buying a device outright vs getting a tab with tab level determined by the eligibility of the plan, it is always best to get a tab as at least some of the cost can be deferred interest free and more importantly to take advantage of any "activation credits" that may be offered for a device. Using the Huawei P20 Pro as an example, this phone costs $480 on large tab ($20x24), $510 on medium tab ($150 up front plus $15x24), $510 on small tab ($270 up front plus $10x24), and $1050 outright (so called retail price). The activation credit is $570 for large tab and $540 for medium and small tab. So you see how Koodo likes to favor a slight bit of savings for the larger tabs. Crucially, they don't want to sell you hardware outright and offering a punishing price that nobody is willing to pay.

I believe your question is concerning the activation credit that comes with getting a tab. The activation credit never has to be paid back irrespective of what transpires in the future. If for whatever reason you decide to leave and cancel the plan, the entire tab balance becomes payable immediately upon cancellation. Otherwise you quietly pay back the tab over the 24 equal installments interest free.

Going back to my first statement about the Koodo tab system being unique. The treatment of the activation credit is the biggest advantage of the Koodo tab system. With brands like Rogers, Fido any activation credits on hardware are issued in monthly installments but not really shown in the bill in a transparent fashion and would not be forgiven if you leave early. I believe they call it the early cancellation fee. The disadvantage of the Koodo tab system is that the tab payment is on top of the service fee. While you have a tab, the total bill is higher until the tab is paid off. For Robellus, the monthly fee has the hardware rolled into it.

While I am on a roll here, I want to add a comment that the out of province plans have been made a lot less attractive by migration offers from Public Mobile to Koodo over the past year plus retention deals. The Public Mobile migration offers were $40/8GB, $40/6Gb and $35/5GB with medium and small tab eligibility. People getting the current QC plan are actually paying more. There is the slight advantage of access to larger tabs. Personally, I have $40/6GB plans which I find to be way, way better than the $49 QC plan. I have no intentions of ever buying the latest iPhone. At the right times of the year, there is enough discounts to make the medium tab work quite nicely. My last purchase was the Huawei P20 Pro with targeted discounts that brought the total tab down to $310 with no money up front. I hope I covered everything.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You sir, are a blessing, sadly most people will bypass your entire essay and ask this question again.

In simple terms, the "Tab" amount total is what anyone is liable for paying at the end of the day once they cancel and/or leave Koodo.

The activation credit one gets at the time of purchase of the device on Tab, are yours to keep; no cash value. You are not responsible for paying the Activation Credits back to Koodo in the event you decide to leave Koodo for any reason at all, that's one fo the unique things about Koodo tab system vs other carriers where they claw back the activation credits and hold customers responsible for paying them in the event they leave before 24 months.

This isn't to say that Koodo cannot or won't do the same in the future with al the abuse thats been happening.

For those that are already on QC / MB / SK....you cannot upgrade and get anything other than Tab Medium for most part. IF you want to get any higher tab, you will loose your plan as the system simply will not allow you to keep it.

Only way around it, is re-doing the entire process....new line, new number, change to QC #, wait till billing cycle, change plan, move old number to Prepaid, then onto the 2nd line that you've added.

There is no other way around it, there is no simpler way, there is no faster way.

You are saving money every month vs what you would pay in store, so it may be worth the trip to do all this extra work and keep in mind, you will pay new activation fee = $35 and Prepaid SIM cost = $20....all + tax.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Really, no need for the essay. I was responding to "If the trouble of getting a QC plan is too much, then just buy the phone on a new line and cancel it right away." in the context of my interest in the Samsung S10e.

According to what I can tell, the cost on an Extra Extra Large Tab has only $65 activation credits, which is peanuts. $100 up front, $40/mo Tab payment. Therefore there is little cost difference between "new line and cancel right away" and "purchase outright". And with the credit that small, the costs of the partial plan payment would eat some of it up. Plus the outright purchase comes with additional benefits on my credit card like extended warranty, which is unavailable if I don't pay for the whole device at once.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    You sir, are a blessing, sadly most people will bypass your entire essay and ask this question again.

In simple terms, the "Tab" amount total is what anyone is liable for paying at the end of the day once they cancel and/or leave Koodo.

The activation credit one gets at the time of purchase of the device on Tab, are yours to keep; no cash value. You are not responsible for paying the Activation Credits back to Koodo in the event you decide to leave Koodo for any reason at all, that's one fo the unique things about Koodo tab system vs other carriers where they claw back the activation credits and hold customers responsible for paying them in the event they leave before 24 months.

This isn't to say that Koodo cannot or won't do the same in the future with al the abuse thats been happening.

For those that are already on QC / MB / SK....you cannot upgrade and get anything other than Tab Medium for most part. IF you want to get any higher tab, you will loose your plan as the system simply will not allow you to keep it.

Only way around it, is re-doing the entire process....new line, new number, change to QC #, wait till billing cycle, change plan, move old number to Prepaid, then onto the 2nd line that you've added.

There is no other way around it, there is no simpler way, there is no faster way.

You are saving money every month vs what you would pay in store, so it may be worth the trip to do all this extra work and keep in mind, you will pay new activation fee = $35 and Prepaid SIM cost = $20....all + tax.
    Really there is no need for much more than a medium tab. To get the best value out of a phone purchase, we have to chase the best activation credit. Larger tab just means larger interest free loan for 24 months. But if you have to pay for the larger tab, then the loan isn't really interest free anymore. If the out of province plan comes with a medium tab, you should be all set.

Here is a recent example of the mate 20 pro pricing across all tabs. Interestingly, the large tab has the best price at $680 and the extra large tab was the worst at $720. But there is not enough difference in overall cost that tab level really matters.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/28/k...al-tab-medium/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Really, no need for the essay. I was responding to "If the trouble of getting a QC plan is too much, then just buy the phone on a new line and cancel it right away." in the context of my interest in the Samsung S10e.

According to what I can tell, the cost on an Extra Extra Large Tab has only $65 activation credits, which is peanuts. $100 up front, $40/mo Tab payment. Therefore there is little cost difference between "new line and cancel right away" and "purchase outright". And with the credit that small, the costs of the partial plan payment would eat some of it up. Plus the outright purchase comes with additional benefits on my credit card like extended warranty, which is unavailable if I don't pay for the whole device at once.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    You used a bad example where the activation credit was next to nothing. Who on earth would buy a phone with no activation credit with Koodo. With the exception of iPhones, all android devices will come with generous activation credits very quickly.

Feedback Score
    I bought the wife a Apple I8 boxing week with a Manitoba plan. With the activation credits the outright price on that I-phone was $360.00. I paid it off the next month. She was very happy with the I8, so as long as you do not want the shinny new ones great deals are to be had with Koodo!!!!!

Feedback Score
    What happens if you start a new account with an in-province plan on an extra extra large tab and switch to a QC plan? What happens to the tab payment? Does it remain the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast