Thread: Watching DirecTV Now While Connected To The Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100

Feedback Score

Watching DirecTV Now While Connected To The Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100

I noticed recently that when I watch DirecTV Now on my laptop computer and it is getting data from the Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100, I get Chicago IL local channels. I am located in the Minneapolis Saint Paul MN DMA, however. How can I get my local channels instead of Chicago locals?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 4, Samsung S5 (G900A), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I noticed recently that when I watch DirecTV Now on my laptop computer and it is getting data from the Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100, I get Chicago IL local channels. I am located in the Minneapolis Saint Paul MN DMA, however. How can I get my local channels instead of Chicago locals?
    Most likely that AT&T Mobility IPs are in Chicago and Atlanta, GA... When I go to https://tools.tracemyip.org I get a IPv4/IPv6 IP in Chicago most of the time.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is what I'm getting: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JYG...w?usp=drivesdk

Feedback Score

Watching DirecTV Now While Connected To The Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100

Thanks you so much for the replies. Is there an easy fix so that I can watch Minneapolis Saint Paul MN local channels on DirecTV Now?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks you so much for the replies. Is there an easy fix so that I can watch Minneapolis Saint Paul MN local channels on DirecTV Now?
    Not until AT&T gets Wireless IP Addresses in the Twin Cities. If I'm on my U-VERSE in St. Louis it shows St. Louis... Also is the Twin Cities available to stream online? I know that St. Louis isn't on the regular DirecTV App.

Feedback Score
    What device are you using?

When using apple tvs it uses the appletv location instead of the ip based one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    I just picked up a Nighthawk to use when needed while traveling and when Direct TV goes down due to system problem or when in hotels while traveling. I have two Mobley's and both got the update that established a pin code and I did get the PUK codes for both SIM’s. As I understand it, I insert one of the SIM chips into the Nighthawk, turn it on and it will ask for the SIM code. After three, unsuccessful tries, it will lock out and then I can use the PUK code to unlock it and establish a new PIN. Do I need to be on the ATT network or is there menu on the Nighthawk itself. Thanks.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Do I need to be on the ATT network or is there menu on the Nighthawk itself. Thanks.
    The lock prevents the SIM from getting onto the network. The PUK is entered on the Nighthawk itself as well as the establishment of the new PIN.

The final suggested step is to turn off the requirement to require a PIN upon boot up. This is a setting that is also stored on the SIM itself. So you'll likely want to do that as well. Then you can move the SIM back and forth between the devices including back into a Mobley with no issues. If that setting remains turned on, when you put it back into the Mobley, you'll have to connect with a device to access Mobley settings and enter the PIN upon each boot up.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    They probably use Nielsen market data to decide which stations to show you. This is pretty common with most all streaming services that they will geo-locate. As others have said, if your location appears to be in Chicago IL then there is nothing you can do.

Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    if your location appears to be in Chicago IL then there is nothing you can do.
    If on Android, an app in the store called FakeGPS worked great when I was testing YoutubeTV, before my own locals were live, I watched Seattle news. Fire up app, point the dot at where you want to be, and presto, the other apps think you are there. I don't recall it requiring root either. Rightcheer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kegps&hl=en_US

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    If on Android, an app in the store called FakeGPS worked great when I was testing YoutubeTV, before my own locals were live, I watched Seattle news. Fire up app, point the dot at where you want to be, and presto, the other apps think you are there. I don't recall it requiring root either. Rightcheer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kegps&hl=en_US
    Depends how the app is doing it. Most use IP address information and Nielsen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Unfortunately that will NOT work, DTVNow requires you to enable High Accuracy (Location) and using Fake GPS I was not able to view certain channels local to where my default billing address / location was.I even tried moving the Fake DOT to the map .High Accuracy using Wifi, LTE, and GPS to sort of triangulate / locate you.

So it may have worked for YouTubeTV but doesnt for DTV now..

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Observations I’ve made being in PA:

Roku on Nighthawk, shows Columbus OH locals which is where AT&T IP originates for my area.

Apple TV 4K on Nighthawk, always shows locals that match my billing address, I travel with one in my bag and use it all over the US in hotels etc and it always shows my local market no matter where I am.

Gave my login credentials to my sis who is in Cali to try out DTVNow before she subscribed and it provided her with my locals. She’s also on a ATV4K using a Nighthawk.

VZW Jetpack 7730L which passes GPS info over Wi-Fi will always provide distinct locals anywhere using my MacBook Pro or Roku, but as always my ATV4K still shows my PA locals regardless.

Feedback Score

Sometime recently, possibly within the past few days, this has changed. I am currently streaming DirecTV Now, through the Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot Router MR1100 and I am getting Minneapolis-Saint Paul DMA locals. That IS the DMA I am located in and those are the local channels for me.

Feedback Score
    Fakegps on Android tv did work for me with DTVNOW. I was trying to figure out how to make it work with my FireStick and as far as I can tell it has also changed on the last week or so. I used to only get Atlanta locals which is where my att ip put me, but it has been showing my correct locals the last week or so

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo