Thread: Searching for USB Android Smartphone Keyboard

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Searching for USB Android Smartphone Keyboard

Even with predictive text on a smartphone, its a challenge typing an email more than say two or three sentences with the small on-screen keyboard as one example. Everyone's finger tips are different sizes, and my typing is slowed by often hitting the wrong/adjacent letter on the screen keyboard. Looking for a keyboard, foldable or mini for Androids that is portable that can use with my phone, and it also need to be able to connect using a USB-C cable with my smartphone which is a six month old LG G7 ThinQ. I very much prefer a wired connection, as from past work data security experience, and also living in an apartment building with nearby neighbors not know (have wired router, not Wifi), and wired USB connections are more reliable and stable and less connectivity challenges getting setting up than Wifi, bluetooth, and the like (many many varied device posts on Internet forums on that topic). Also to say with bluetooth, if phone and keyboard are next to each other on my lap, and if slide more than a few inches from each other, the connection is lost. As majority of smartphones in the last two to three years or so are with a USB-C connector, I rather get the keyboard with a USB-C cable, rather than a plain USB micro cable and then get a convertor to USB-C, though I have a charging/data USB-C cable being unsure if it will work with the keyboard. Its fine if the portable Android keyboard has both wireless and wired modes, but I will only use the later.

My searches on Google and Amazon and even tried this forum when have spent more than an hour already not coming up with results for needs, but perhaps using the wrong search terms. Hoping someone here using or has experience with such a foldable/mini/portable wired keyboard that will work with an Android smartphone with a USB-C connector which can recommend a specific model number, that is currently out on the market for sale with a reputable seller/company with a fair return policy if by slight chance need to return.

Feedback Score
    I think you should get a Bluetooth keyboard.

I think range is about 30 feet but it likely will tell you in the specs.

I would start out looking on Amazon. Logitech is a good manufacturer for one.

Target, Walmart, and best buy might have some in the store if you want to buy local.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I think you should get a Bluetooth keyboard.

I think range is about 30 feet but it likely will tell you in the specs.

I would start out looking on Amazon. Logitech is a good manufacturer for one.

Target, Walmart, and best buy might have some in the store if you want to buy local.
    Bluetooth is a no go in my apartment as it is less than 32 feet wide (bluetooth distance range agreeing with you) plus have neighbors less than 10 feet above me, which also according to this article I just found https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth2.htm , the signal can go through walls, which in my case are not concrete or brick. There is also a sidewalk in front of my ground floor apartment less than 30 feet away. Not want strangers hacking into my email communication over unsecure wireless. One time used bluetooth only to transfer pictures from an old inactive personal cell phone (my bad thinking the range was shorter, never used bluetooth in office job), and the passcode is only four digits (default is 0000) which can easily be hacked. This suggestion better for houses with a perimeter of land around.

Agreed vast majority of Android keyboards sold are wireless, but really need to fine one that is wired or has a wired USB mode to ensure data security. Though cellular communication is encrypted (unless on old system), unsure fully why device manufacturers push Wifi and bluetooth, where USB is better for some. There are millions of apartment, condo, and townhouse dwellers in the US with adjacent neighbors. Of course, many are unaware of the security risks of bluetooth, like some non-tech people thinking just installing anti-virus software on your laptop, PC, etc. is all you need to totally protect you.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it is that easy to hack Bluetooth because it is encrypted.

Also wired keyboards have security issues too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcw...ticle.amp.html

So if you want a keyboard for Android I would get Bluetooth.

Feedback Score
    My RCA Android tablet has a USB keyboard attached to the case. I havent tried it with my smartphone. The tablets w/keyboard are under$50 at Walmart.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Bought this vive Comb keyboard https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Viv...gateway&sr=8-3 with a USB micro cable included with a USB-A connector to plug into another device as found this well-rated USB-C adapter since https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P42LS4...ing=UTF8&psc=1 with power current protections. Though also supports bluetooth (not tried), this keyboard does work in USB mode with my LG G7 smartphone with USB-C and OTG and as well as a friend's Samsung Galaxy 8 also with a USB-C port. If your smartphone has an older USB connector, you will need a different adapter. No guarantee this work with a phone that is not OTG or a non-Android iphone. The vive Comb full size keyboard also includes a mouse pad and folds up size of a smartphone but is 0.8 inches thick. At least with my LG G7, you can interchangeably use the vive Comb keyboard and mouse and the smartphone keyboard and mouse even typing the same message (email, text, Chrome browser, notepad, etc.) where finding the vive Comb keyboard is quicker for typing but sometimes using the smartphone finger mouse screen actiion is quicker.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Spurkcell, you're going about this all wrong. Just buy a phone with a QWERTY keyboard built in. They're much harder to find these days, but they DO still exist! The current champ is the BlackBerry Key2!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...