Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid in Canada and Mexico will be 2g from 17 March, unless you are on AT&T MX

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolshayaptica View Post
    Prepaid Canada and Mexico will be 2g from 17 March, unless you are on Att MEX:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...anada_anymore/
    What does it mean "Att MEX"? The thread title is not clear.

I have two lines with ATT Prepaid on the $45/mo plan which I've had for a couple of years now - I spend time in Canada throughout the year and depend on data roaming at LTE to function up there and I don't want to be swapping SIM cards and not be able to receive and make calls with my regular number - but I cannot get a straight answer from anyone at ATT as to what this actually means.

1. is it strict enforcement of a policy where data WILL be limited to 2G?
    2. is it restating an existing policy where data MIGHT be limited to 2G (where if it hasn't before, it probably won't?)

I have no insight into my expected user experience when I go to Canada, and being up there and finding my phone is almost unusable is too late. If this is option 1, meaning my data WILL be throttled to 2G, then I am leaving for TMobile where i know for sure that it will not be....and I get 10GB of data for the same price as ATT.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post

I have two lines with ATT Prepaid on the $45/mo plan which I've had for a couple of years now - I spend time in Canada throughout the year and depend on data roaming at LTE to function up there and I don't want to be swapping SIM cards and not be able to receive and make calls with my regular number - but I cannot get a straight answer from anyone at ATT as to what this actually means.

1. is it strict enforcement of a policy where data WILL be limited to 2G?
    2. is it restating an existing policy where data MIGHT be limited to 2G (where if it hasn't before, it probably won't?)

I have no insight into my expected user experience when I go to Canada, and being up there and finding my phone is almost unusable is too late. If this is option 1, meaning my data WILL be throttled to 2G, then I am leaving for TMobile where i know for sure that it will not be....and I get 10GB of data for the same price as ATT.
    AT&T runs a wireless network in Mexico. If you are roaming on it, you will not be subject to these rules. If you roam on another carrier in Mexico or any carrier in Canada, you may find your data throttled. AT&T has not defined what the criteria for throttling is.
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I saw the typo, but couldn’t fix MEX to MX.

Feedback Score
    So, in a nutshell, we have no idea if this is a new or old policy or if anyone will be throttled until it happens to them, or under what circumstances they may be throttled?

Doesn't this lack of disclosure violate any state or federal laws?

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,KoKo,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    So, in a nutshell, we have no idea if this is a new or old policy or if anyone will be throttled until it happens to them, or under what circumstances they may be throttled?

Roaming off-net is a calculated risk with any carrier. Best just to travel with more than one option. If must have primary number when roaming internationally, then you could use Google Voice or other VOIP service or just give key contacts alternate phone numbers before travel.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

As the roaming takes place outside of the states and US countries, I would think a lack of jurisdiction would prevent any US laws from applying.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Feedback Score
    It says "may be reduced", not "will be reduced". It's better to ask the rep.
    Check online reviews before buying your new gadget: https://www.pissedconsumer.com/categ...t-gadgets.html

Feedback Score
    So is there a network in Canada that gives you full speed or will all roaming be at 2G speeds?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c47v3770 View Post
    So is there a network in Canada that gives you full speed or will all roaming be at 2G speeds?
    It looks like all prepaid will be 2g speeds in Canada, while pistpaid still be full LTE.
    I can confirm as of today that postpaid customers can roam on Canadian big 3 with lte speeds. Postpaid in Mexico only Att MX full LTE speed and 0.2-0.3 download on Telcel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cutie_11 View Post
    It says "may be reduced", not "will be reduced". It's better to ask the rep.
    The reps are completely useless in being to answer this question

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolshayaptica View Post
    It looks like all prepaid will be 2g speeds in Canada, while pistpaid still be full LTE.
    I can confirm as of today that postpaid customers can roam on Canadian big 3 with lte speeds. Postpaid in Mexico only Att MX full LTE speed and 0.2-0.3 download on Telcel.
    Again, "will" or "may"?

I appreciate you sharing your experience as a postpaid customer, but do you have first hand experience roaming with prepaid?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Since they are now warning you that as of March 17, 2019, that you will be throttled to 2G speeds on any network besides AT&T MX you, as the consumer now have to look for other options, I doubt any this is considered a lack of disclosure under any consumer law since you are warned beforehand. The key word is "may", it's not a definite action but they reserve the right to do so because they are paying the partner network, if you are paying the partner network then there would be no need to throttle or manage your connection since you take responsibility for the bill.

Feedback Score
    So is it throttled?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markus3000 View Post
    So is it throttled?
    AT&T Prepaid-8 GB Plan roaming on Telcel.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So, that seems throttled, but faster than EDGE speeds. Given plenty of people are on 3Mbps Cricket plans and are happy, that seems likely to be usable for generic activity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast