Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone XS consistently slower than Pixel 3

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

iPhone XS consistently slower than Pixel 3

Well as the title says.. My iPhone XS is consistently 30-40Mbps slower than my Google Pixel 3.

I’m not sure why there is such a big difference seeing as they are both capable of “Gigabit LTE”..

They are both on Band 2 15MHz and aggregating B4 20MHz and B12 5Mhz. Both on the same account with the One Plus plan and under 10GB of usage..

The same tower in the middle of the night yields about 200Mbps on my Pixel 3, and the iPhone gets 150Mbps..

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

iPhone XS consistently slower than Pixel 3

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post

Well as the title says.. My iPhone XS is consistently 30-40Mbps slower than my Google Pixel 3.
    So? Was there a point you intended to make?

Pixel uses Qualcomm modem iPhone uses Intel. Difference is irrelevant in any practical consideration, but if you weigh speed more that all the other advantages of IOS and the Apple ecosystem then by all means use the Pixel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I’m not sure why there is such a big difference seeing as they are both capable of “Gigabit LTE”..

They are both on Band 2 15MHz and aggregating B4 20MHz and B12 5Mhz. Both on the same account with the One Plus plan and under 10GB of usage..

The same tower in the middle of the night yields about 200Mbps on my Pixel 3, and the iPhone gets 150Mbps..

Yeah the difference is the intel modem vs the Qualcomm modem to answer your question. Qualcomm always had an advantage in speed generally than the intel modem. Apple does update its modem firmware so who knows what the future holds.

Verizon LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The problem isn’t necessarily the modem, but rather the antenna design of the iPhone X/XS. I’ve had data issues or even failures at times because of the poorly designed antennas compared to my Galaxy devices.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    The problem isn’t necessarily the modem, but rather the antenna design of the iPhone X/XS. I’ve had data issues or even failures at times because of the poorly designed antennas compared to my Galaxy devices.
    Same, my XS sometimes loses service just because I put it in my pocket, when my iPhone 7 would still have signal. I also lose service in areas that I used to have one bar before.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Since the iPhone 4 dubbed “Antennagate” by Steve Jobs no one has ever accused Apple of having good antennas or good reception. The i4 was my last Apple phone after going through four of them in 13 months. Glad you got the XS instead of the XR that is only 2x2 MIMO.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/364768...gnal-test-resu

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derek703 View Post
    Same, my XS sometimes loses service just because I put it in my pocket, when my iPhone 7 would still have signal. I also lose service in areas that I used to have one bar before.

My garage is a particular weak spot and I have seen this as well. Leaving the house, I put my iPhone in my pocket, then when I'm in the car, take it out and it sometimes drops to HSPA+. None of my other devices have ever done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Since the iPhone 4 dubbed “Antennagate” by Steve Jobs no one has ever accused Apple of having good antennas or good reception. The i4 was my last Apple phone after going through four of them in 13 months. Glad you got the XS instead of the XR that is only 2x2 MIMO.

The XR is far worse than the XS. I couldn't imagine having that. Terrible phone for people who spend a decent amount of time in fringe signal areas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    So? Was there a point you intended to make?

Pixel uses Qualcomm modem iPhone uses Intel. Difference is irrelevant in any practical consideration, but if you weigh speed more that all the other advantages of IOS and the Apple ecosystem then by all means use the Pixel?

I guess the point is how slow the iPhone is compared to the Pixel 3. I am wondering why the Intel modem would be slower considering the specs are as good as the Pixel 3.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

The main reason I got the XS is for the 4x4 MIMO. I am just surprised that after all these years, a high end device like this performs so poorly compared to a much less expensive Pixel 3.. It is rather disappointing. If they ever made the Apple watch and iMessage android compatible, i'd ditch it immediately.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    iPhone XS should be more than capable. I have a work iPhone 8, and in Woodland Hills, CA (Fry's Electronics) I've hit 277Mbps on AT&T - multiple CA
    My old LG G6 has hit +220Mbps with B2 10x10, B4 20x20 and B12 5x5 - has a Qualcomm 821 (cat 12) , and while the iPhone 8 supports 4 channels... in the Americas there are only 3 which can be used for CA, effectively making it a cat12 even if its truly a cat15 (no 4x4 mimo).
    I can't speak for the iPhone XS
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I guess the point is how slow the iPhone is compared to the Pixel 3. I am wondering why the Intel modem would be slower considering the specs are as good as the Pixel 3.
    It’s because of the B.S. between Qualcomm and Apple. https://www.digitaltrends.com/busine...qualcomm-news/ Apple didn’t do itself (or their customers) any favors when it neutered the performance of Qualcomm modems in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to match the Intel variant. https://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ith-intel-chip
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/20/iphon...r-performance/
    Last edited by DebiLee; 02-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    iPhone XS should be more than capable. I have a work iPhone 8, and in Woodland Hills, CA (Fry's Electronics) I've hit 277Mbps on AT&T - multiple CA
    My old LG G6 has hit +220Mbps with B2 10x10, B4 20x20 and B12 5x5 - has a Qualcomm 821 (cat 12) , and while the iPhone 8 supports 4 channels... in the Americas there are only 3 which can be used for CA, effectively making it a cat12 even if its truly a cat15 (no 4x4 mimo).
    I can't speak for the iPhone XS
    Here’s an article you’ll like regarding the iPhone 8 LTE support and performance https://www.pcmag.com/news/356437/ex...peed-tests-sof

Here’s an article about the XS LTE perforance https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2...-than-qualcomm

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think that’s pretty well known and largely irrelevant. People don’t buy Apple products for specs like they do PC or Android. iPhones never have the memory or screens or modems of Android flagships because at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    f they ever made the Apple watch and iMessage android compatible, i'd ditch it immediately.
    Which is exactly why they won’t.

Feedback Score
    Why was this posted in the T-Mobile forum instead of Apple where it belongs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast