Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Cheapest plan just for Uber?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    354
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheapest plan just for Uber?

    I have freedompop (both sprint and at&t versions), which uses voip as their phone #.
    i also have a Google voice/google hangouts phone #. they too use voip.

    uber doesnt allow usage with voip phone #s.
    lyft works with voip #s but there are some places that dont have lyft.

    i'm going to one of those places in a couple of weeks, which is Puerto rico.
    so much cheaper to use Uber than a taxi.

    my spare phones are LG Tribute 2 (cdma, no sim slot), Alcatel Elevate (cdma, no sim slot), and Moto E (2nd gen) which has a sim slot.

    what's the cheapest plan to get a phone # that works with uber?
    (obviously, must also have data for uber app.)
    Last edited by fstuff; 02-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,231
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    I have freedompop (both sprint and at&t versions), which uses voip as their phone #.
    i also have a Google voice/google hangouts phone #. they too use voip.

    uber doesnt allow usage with voip phone #s.
    lyft works with voip #s but there are some places that dont have lyft.

    i'm going to one of those places in a couple of weeks, which is Puerto rico.
    so much cheaper to use Uber than a taxi.

    my spare phones are LG Tribute 2 (cdma) and Moto E (2nd gen) which has a sim slot.

    what's the cheapest plan to get a phone # that works with uber?
    (obviously, must also have data for uber app.)
    fstuff, read through the thread linked below to see how I got Uber to work with my GV #. Hopefully what I describe in that thread still works. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...8#post16853228 https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post16853881 I don't know if I ever mentioned it in that thread, but I did successfully use Uber multiple times with my GV # for two out of town trips since that time.

    If you can't get it to work like I did, I'm not sure what cheap plan to suggest that 1) works in Puerto Rico and 2) that Uber will accept.

    What did you plan to use for data in Puerto Rico if you COULD get Uber to accept your GV #?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,476
    Feedback Score
    0
    Some sort of T-Mobile prepaid provider since T-Mobile has native service in Puerto Rico. Simple Mobile maybe? Ultra Mobile?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    354
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    fstuff, read through the thread linked below to see how I got Uber to work with my GV #. Hopefully what I describe in that thread still works. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...8#post16853228 https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post16853881 I don't know if I ever mentioned it in that thread, but I did successfully use Uber multiple times with my GV # for two out of town trips since that time.

    If you can't get it to work like I did, I'm not sure what cheap plan to suggest that 1) works in Puerto Rico and 2) that Uber will accept.

    What did you plan to use for data in Puerto Rico if you COULD get Uber to accept your GV #?
    yeah, you suggested this to me last year, and i did go the uber support route like in your post.
    got shot down by them.

    i would use freedompop for data.
    both sprint and at&T versions worked in puerto rico when i was there last year.
    just couldnt get uber to work.

    so trying a different route by getting a cheap phone service that uber likes on a spare phone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,231
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    yeah, you suggested this to me last year, and i did go the uber support route like in your post.
    got shot down by them.

    i would use freedompop for data.
    both sprint and at&T versions worked in puerto rico when i was there last year.
    just couldnt get uber to work.

    so trying a different route by getting a cheap phone service that uber likes on a spare phone.
    That's too bad!

    I have seen recent reports that indicate Uber now allows GV #s, but I have no idea if that's true. Would you be able to test if Uber works now with your GV #?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,952
    Feedback Score
    0
    How about the T-Mobile $3 a month prepaid plan. It gets you 30 minutes/texts, no data.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    303
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    What about the Mint sim that's on sale now for $20 for 3 months , 8gb a month data too ,
    Get it online from Best buy or Amazon

    It uses TMobile
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,231
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    How about the T-Mobile $3 a month prepaid plan. It gets you 30 minutes/texts, no data.
    Data is required for the Uber app.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    354
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's too bad!

    I have seen recent reports that indicate Uber now allows GV #s, but I have no idea if that's true. Would you be able to test if Uber works now with your GV #?
    just tried it with a schedule pickup.
    same as before. got to the end then said "your mobile # isnt supported"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,596
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Uber is working for me using my Google Voice/Hangouts number. Used it a recently as last week to get 2 rides.


    Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can buy a gig of data, good for a week, for $10 (or 500 MB for $5, but only good for a day) on T-Mobile PayGo.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,231
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    just tried it with a schedule pickup.
    same as before. got to the end then said "your mobile # isnt supported"
    Oh, bummer. That's what it did to me until I got Uber support to manually enable my GV # in my Uber account.

    If it were me, I would try and try again with Uber support. I didn't know a FP AT&T LTE SIM would work in Puerto Rico, but since it does, getting your GV # to work with Uber would definitely be the best and cheapest way to go!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    817
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you need something just for this trip, get a free 1-month $30 plan from H2O -- it's a promo, and all you'll pay is $5 for shipping. They use AT&T.

    If you need something ongoing, the Red Pocket AT&T $60/year plan with 100 mins, 100 text and 500MB of data would be the best for a backup phone.

    Your Moto E would need to be unlocked to use these (or be an AT&T branded Moto E).


    If it's a Sprint locked device, you'll need to see if the IMEI is clear for activation on the Sprint MVNOs, in which case I'd probably opt for Twigby for a single month or the aforementioned RP $60 Plan (but the Sprint version) for ongoing use.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,231
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Vzw ALL have native service in Puerto Rico?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    303
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    If you need something just for this trip, get a free 1-month $30 plan from H2O -- it's a promo, and all you'll pay is $5 for shipping. They use AT&T.

    .
    Do you have a link for the H2O promo ?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ATT Cheapest plan only for calling and texting
    By ahg in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 01:37 AM
  2. iPhone Plan just for Email
    By Dynamyk in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
  3. PDA data plan just for PDA's with integrated phones?
    By adsouthpaw in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 12:23 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 09:33 PM
  5. Cheapest plan(s) for 2 area codes
    By Orange_MP3 in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 03:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks