Thread: No voicemail notification

Feedback Score

No voicemail notification

I just realized that I'm not getting voicemail notifications on my Samsung Sky. I called to check my messages and found there were 16 messages dating back two months. I do get the notification that I got an unanswered call, but no voicemail notification.

My new Moto G6 QVC is due to be delivered in two days, so hopefully it will be a non-issue. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they rectified it.

Device(s)
    Tracfone J3 Orbit, Tracfone J3 Luna Pro, Tracfone LG442BG
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, TF/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
    I just realized that I'm not getting voicemail notifications on my Samsung Sky. I called to check my messages and found there were 16 messages dating back two months. I do get the notification that I got an unanswered call, but no voicemail notification.

My new Moto G6 QVC is due to be delivered in two days, so hopefully it will be a non-issue. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they rectified it.

If you call your voicemail, and press #4 personal options when prompted... does it start with "to change administrative options, press 2"?
    I'm asking because maybe you have VVM enabled on your account and the app on the phone is not communicating with it properly. I'm not familiar with that phone. If your personal options menu is missing the first option, "to turn message waiting indicator on or off press one" and starts with the second option already described, you have VVM and will not receive the basic voicemail notifications that you may have one time received.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    If you call your voicemail, and press #4 personal options when prompted... does it start with "to change administrative options, press 2"?
    I'm asking because maybe you have VVM enabled on your account and the app on the phone is not communicating with it properly. I'm not familiar with that phone. If your personal options menu is missing the first option, "to turn message waiting indicator on or off press one" and starts with the second option already described, you have VVM and will not receive the basic voicemail notifications that you may have one time received.
    I called voicemail and don't get the option "to turn message waiting indicator on or off press one." I did some research on the internet and found this is an ongoing problem with Tracfone/Straight Talk/Net 10 and affects only the Samsung Sky J3. Apparently it has existed for several years and the only solution is to buy a new phone, though some have had luck with a third party app called "Youmail."

Glad my Moto is only two days away!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, TF/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
    I called voicemail and don't get the option "to turn message waiting indicator on or off press one." I did some research on the internet and found this is an ongoing problem with Tracfone/Straight Talk/Net 10 and affects only the Samsung Sky J3. Apparently it has existed for several years and the only solution is to buy a new phone, though some have had luck with a third party app called "Youmail."

Glad my Moto is only two days away!
    You could get a tier three support number from online chat and call and ask them to enable basic voicemail on your account. As usually when you don't have that option it means you have visual voicemail enabled on you account. Then you'll have the basic voicemail notifications again. But then again if you are getting a new phone and transferring to the sim it will probably pick up VVM again if you did that... Anyway... good luck with the new phone which hopefully will work better with the voicemail situation in any case..
    Last edited by lappers; 02-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have reached out to TracFone too many times to count and they have never been able to help me with this on my iPhone SE. They tell me I need Verizon to change it. The only thing is, I've never had this phone on Verizon...only TracFone (BYOD CDMA sim). Lappers might remember how much he tried helping me with this problem, and I appreciated all his attempts but the TracFone agents are only there for simple issues, and even then they have their problems....
    Roadtrip

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, TF/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    I have reached out to TracFone too many times to count and they have never been able to help me with this on my iPhone SE. They tell me I need Verizon to change it. The only thing is, I've never had this phone on Verizon...only TracFone (BYOD CDMA sim). Lappers might remember how much he tried helping me with this problem, and I appreciated all his attempts but the TracFone agents are only there for simple issues, and even then they have their problems....
    Yeah I remember. It's weird. I've done it 12 times including once 2 hours ago. Though It was a little bit of a struggle the woman was acting a little dense. Makes me wonder if it is a byop issue or iphone.. but then again a guy on the tf forum with byop got it done so I don't know... iphone? or iphone when byop? Of just very bad luck of the rep draw.

Might pay to try them one more time. They done it a lot for me... maybe they know it better now.
    There is no reason it should take longer than 5 minutes.. Maybe it just can't be done because of the phone's particulars.
    Call on a different phone... you need to be able to call and examine the verizon personal options on the iphone's voicemail on the fly to check their work in real time. Look for the message indicator option. If it shows up.. you're good.
    Last edited by lappers; 02-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I recall Apple implementing their own VVM system separate from the carrier.

That's why iPhone users had VVM long before Android users on MVNOs.

Not sure how it's controlled or how it works when carrier (Verizon) VVM is enabled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I recall Apple implementing their own VVM system separate from the carrier.
    Noticed earlier that Verizon premium VVM only sends a transcription as a text message to iPhones, and not to the VVM app like on Android phones. Do iPhones not have a Verizon voicemail app?