Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Supposedly, by the end of the year, all unlocked devices will have VoLTE, but not necessarily VoWiFi. Verizon does VoLTE but not VoWiFi. T-Mobile does both, but USCC has issues with their system that prevent unbranded devices from roaming, so you take a huge coverage hit. Unlocked Android doesn't work well on any carrier unfortunately.
    This post should be sticky. I did test an unlocked S10+ briefly earlier this year it was VoWifi capable on Verizon. However that is more of an exception vs the norm.

Due to these issues mentioned I typically stay with iPhone, all carrier features “just work” on all US carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    This post should be sticky. I did test an unlocked S10+ briefly earlier this year it was VoWifi capable on Verizon. However that is more of an exception vs the norm.

Due to these issues mentioned I typically stay with iPhone, all carrier features “just work” on all US carriers.
    Thanks! Yes, there are a few exceptions, like, I believe (double check before buying) the Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 series on AT&T get both VoLTE and VoWiFi. iPhones do "just work". I have a branded Note 9 on AT&T. It's unlocked, but it still has bloatware that's annoying. I hate that I had to buy the branded version just to have it work properly with all features and coverage on AT&T.

My unlocked Moto G6 on Mint works 100%, but that's only because Mint doesn't have any roaming to begin with, so it just goes to No Service when outside T-Mobile coverage areas.

Feedback Score
    What about calling Cricket, asking them to associate an iPhone IMEI for my number, would that then allow VoLTE on a U1 S9+?

Also in that #*3646 secret menu, how come the update carrier provisioning button doesn't work?

Neither voLTE nor wifi calling work for me.
    Last edited by <<M>>; 12-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    They can't just substitute an IMEI from another phone (if I understand your question) in the billing service to make it work. The phone IMEI is automatically broadcasted to the billing system every time the phone makes/receives a call. Even if they tried to do so it would be a violation of company policy and get result in dismissal for entering false information in the billing system. If I still was a CS rep for any wireless carrier I wouldn't risk my job.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is one of the primary reasons I ported out of First Net back to T-Mobile. Not being able to use a FACTORY (retail Samsung S10e) with VoLTE/WiFi calling, combined with poor coverage, are why I'll never deal with AT&T again.

They still can't provide a valid, logical reason why they intentionally block factory unlocked Android devices from fully functioning with VoLTE and WiFi calling (which is required as their in-building coverage is atrocious in many areas) other than to force consumers to buy their branded bloatware filled device and get the consumer locked into some carrier financing nonsense.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I must disagree with your assertions about At&t not being friendly with unbranded devices as I have used more than a few unbranded devices on At&t with no issues.

All carriers don't allow all devices to automatically work on their system unless they have been fully evaluated by the carrier (locked or unlocked). About 3 years ago I had an unlocked LG G4 device from Europe that I could not activate on Verizon who sold the same device branded on their own network. I didn't dwell on it, I used a compatible phone instead.

You make it sound like At&t is the only carrier who doesn't allow all phones on their network.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000 View Post
    This is one of the primary reasons I ported out of First Net back to T-Mobile. Not being able to use a FACTORY (retail Samsung S10e) with VoLTE/WiFi calling, combined with poor coverage, are why I'll never deal with AT&T again.

They still can't provide a valid, logical reason why they intentionally block factory unlocked Android devices from fully functioning with VoLTE and WiFi calling (which is required as their in-building coverage is atrocious in many areas) other than to force consumers to buy their branded bloatware filled device and get the consumer locked into some carrier financing nonsense.
    Motorola G7 Power, unlocked, purchased directly from Motorola... VoLTE active. Whacha talkin about?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000 View Post

Well said. Att's coverage is almost as bad as their unlocked non att branded phone policy.

Firstnet seems like a joke overall at least with att in the drivers seat

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Does AT&amp;T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Well said. Att's coverage is almost as bad as their unlocked non att branded phone policy.

Firstnet seems like a joke overall at least with att in the drivers seat
    Lol. Coverage compared to who? T-Mobile or Sprint. Haha.

Come on up to my state...T-Mobile offers zero non roaming coverage.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well said. Att's coverage is almost as bad as their unlocked non att branded phone policy
    Um...unbranded, unlocked Motorola G7 Power here...VoLTE activated..
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
    Um...unbranded, unlocked Motorola G7 Power here...VoLTE activated...
    Buy a tmobile model unlock it and let us know how well it works out for you. Att software could easily handle it but they choose not to.
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-01-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You att employees are something else
    Put down the New Year's Eve beverage, as you're still talkin out your

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
    Put down the New Year's Eve beverage, as you're still talkin out your
    Posting facts as I see them

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Lol. Coverage compared to who? T-Mobile or Sprint. Haha.

Come on up to my state...T-Mobile offers zero non roaming coverage.

T-Mobile has way more LTE than att so that makes a good difference. Att is stuck on so much h/h+ they can't compare to tmobiles network

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Posting facts as I see them
    The fact is you have no clue what you're talking about...that's the fact..

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast