Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I thought that someone may have confused the end of 2019 date for VoLTE on the Verizon network.

Guess I don't know the right search terms on google to find this report.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    for iphones you shouldn't be worrying about VoLTE because eventually all iphones will have volte on all network. This is for android devices that concerns us the most some will get some will not..

Verizon will shutdown CDMA on Dec 31, 2019 and they already shutting down to some areas already.
    Galaxy Care Ambassador

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    for iphones you shouldn't be worrying about VoLTE because eventually all iphones will have volte on all network. This is for android devices that concerns us the most some will get some will not..

Verizon will shutdown CDMA on Dec 31, 2019 and they already shutting down to some areas already.
    I understand about the iPhone. But not everyone uses iPhones. I have a backup Moto phone that is carrier agnostic, but most likely isn't VoLTE on ATT (I've never tried, but it isn't ATT branded). I prefer iPhones, but in general I don't hate Android users

I saw the reports that Verizon may be shutting down some areas already. Which actually surprises me unless there were either equipment outages or the LTE bands were overloaded.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I understand about the iPhone. But not everyone uses iPhones. I have a backup Moto phone that is carrier agnostic, but most likely isn't VoLTE on ATT (I've never tried, but it isn't ATT branded). I prefer iPhones, but in general I don't hate Android users

I saw the reports that Verizon may be shutting down some areas already. Which actually surprises me unless there were either equipment outages or the LTE bands were overloaded.
    What do you mean carrier agnostic??... Yes verizon claim they still need capacity for their network.. i believe verizon is rolling out Band 48.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    A phone like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unloc.../dp/B079Z3DX1W

which currently supports VoLTE on T-Mobile and Verizon only. I don't know if it is technically capable of VoLTE on ATT if ATT were to allow it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    AT&T says they haven't release which phone will support volte but they only say as long as your phone is capable of VoLTE then it will have volte so I guess if your phone has volte on other network and it is unlocked then it will have VoLTE starting by end of 2019. and I believe S10 line unlocked will be first i think thats according to their memo. all we have to do is wait till end of the year =).. You can go to at&t website or cricket wireless website to check the BYOD capabilities and if they recognized the IMEI and states the name of the phone then I guess that will have VoLTE.

Keep us posted as well once your unlocked devices start to get VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    I know that my Pixel 2 XL does not have VoLTE on Cricket even though it should support it.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 100 Megs per second internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Prepaid as primary, Three UK sim as secondary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    AT&T says they haven't release which phone will support volte but they only say as long as your phone is capable of VoLTE then it will have volte so I guess if your phone has volte on other network and it is unlocked then it will have VoLTE starting by end of 2019. and I believe S10 line unlocked will be first i think thats according to their memo. all we have to do is wait till end of the year =).. You can go to at&t website or cricket wireless website to check the BYOD capabilities and if they recognized the IMEI and states the name of the phone then I guess that will have VoLTE.

Keep us posted as well once your unlocked devices start to get VoLTE.
    To support all phones with VoLTE, they would have to go back a lot farther than S10 and Android Pie:

From the T-Mobile web site:
    Supported Android VoLTE devices

BlackBerry PRIV
    Google Nexus 6
    HTC One M9
    LG G Stylo
    LG GFlex
    LG G3
    LG G4
    LG Leon

Samsung Galaxy Avant
    Samsung Galaxy Light
    Samsung Galaxy S 5
    Samsung Galaxy S 6
    Samsung Galaxy S 6 Edge
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
    Sony Xperia Z3
    I can verify this because my T-Mobile Note 4 supports VoLTE on Android 6.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    A phone like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unloc.../dp/B079Z3DX1W

which currently supports VoLTE on T-Mobile and Verizon only. I don't know if it is technically capable of VoLTE on ATT if ATT were to allow it.
    VoLTE works on the G6 on AT&T for about 2 minutes until they kick it off of VoLTE.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    To support all phones with VoLTE, they would have to go back a lot farther than S10 and
    I'm guessing they would only support phones currently on the market and in the future, the logic being that those older devices won't be around in 2023 when the 3G network is gone.

Feedback Score
    Folks need to keep in mind the shutdown date (February 2022 is the latest I've seen) is the end of a process that is already in progress. There are already isolated towers around the country that are LTE only.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    On another site, I was seeing someone claim that ATT won't activate phones without VoLTE after the end of the year.

I have my doubts, since I would think I would see that here already.

ATT doesn't even allow VoLTE on many of their MVNOs yet

I suspect someone confusing the year end date of 2G/3G on Verizon, and the report this year of 2022 for ATT.

And even on Verizon, though you couldn't activate phones without VoLTE, you could still transfer a SIM to an otherwise compatible Verizon phone and use it as long as CDMA is still supported.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    January 2022 is supposedly the scheduled sunset date for 3G. At that point, it won't make sense to keep 3 layers of technology for a small percentage of people but they definitely should start letting more phones utilize VoLTE.

https://www.mobileworldlive.com/feat...pectrum-to-5g/

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyotiac View Post
    Folks need to keep in mind the shutdown date (February 2022 is the latest I've seen) is the end of a process that is already in progress. There are already isolated towers around the country that are LTE only.
    That's... interesting. I thought that LTE radios also had backwards compatibility to run an HSPA+ channel and share all the same infrastructure?

I'm disappointed that they are getting rid of HSPA+ in rural areas where they have B5 spectrum, as like Verizon with CDMA, they will lose a LOT of coverage, and I would think that the LTE radios and all the other infrastructure could support an HSPA+ channel in the long haul, unlike CDMA where it is a semi-proprietary system. I doubt that there's much point to keeping it around where they'd have to run it on B2, since B12 or B14 LTE would probably carry just as far, if not a bit farther.

ATT doesn't even allow VoLTE on many of their MVNOs yet
    They could still require that the phones support VoLTE for when they get around to turning it on for them. It's sort of hard to enforce where SIM cards end up though.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That's... interesting. I thought that LTE radios also had backwards compatibility to run an HSPA+ channel and share all the same infrastructure?

I'm disappointed that they are getting rid of HSPA+ in rural areas where they have B5 spectrum, as like Verizon with CDMA, they will lose a LOT of coverage, and I would think that the LTE radios and all the other infrastructure could support an HSPA+ channel in the long haul, unlike CDMA where it is a semi-proprietary system. I doubt that there's much point to keeping it around where they'd have to run it on B2, since B12 or B14 LTE would probably carry just as far, if not a bit farther.

They could still require that the phones support VoLTE for when they get around to turning it on for them. It's sort of hard to enforce where SIM cards end up though.
    The UMTS/HSPA+ hardware is completely separate in all AT&T sites. I know of no LTE radios or BBUs made by either Nokia or Ericsson that support both LTE and UMTS. Not saying they don’t make such products, as I honestly have no idea, but I do know that there is nothing like that used at AT&T.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    The UMTS/HSPA+ hardware is completely separate in all AT&T sites. I know of no LTE radios or BBUs made by either Nokia or Ericsson that support both LTE and UMTS. Not saying they don’t make such products, as I honestly have no idea, but I do know that there is nothing like that used at AT&T.
    Well, good to know. That's sort of sad, but that dooms HSPA+ to getting shut down eventually. You'd think that the LTE equipment would have just come with HSPA+ already enabled, but I guess not.

On sites with B5 LTE, for example, are there two separate B5 antennas, or is it combined somewhere (RRH? On the ground?) before going to the B5 antennas?

Have all LTE sites been climbed to add at least B4/17 (if not B12/29/30/66/14), or are there any extremely rural sites that just had radio swaps done at the ground to put LTE on B2/5?

It's sad that AT&T's network, like Verizon's will lose a lot of coverage when 3G shuts down, but so is the march forward of technology I guess. Hopefully B14 with HPUE and RRHs will at least partially make up for the lost coverage from B5 HSPA+.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast