Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Missing Calls, iPhone XS Doesn't Ring

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question Missing Calls, iPhone XS Doesn't Ring

    Hello! I switched to Verizon a few months ago, about a month after getting an iPhone XS. On a somewhat regular but intermittent basis, I do not receive phone calls. What I mean is thereís no indication on any of my devices that a call is coming in, or that Iíve missed a call, I only know because I receive a voicemail or someone texts me to follow up. This has happened in a few different locations, both on Wi-Fi calling and just on LTE. I also have a cellular Apple Watch (activated on Verizon), and my number shared with an iPad and MacBook Proóthese calls do not ring or show as missed on these devices either. The callers have been varied (landline or cell), and they experience either the usual rings followed by voicemail, or a message that the caller isnít available and then voicemail.

    When I find out this is happening, usually restarting my phone seems to fix it, though I donít know if thatís actually fixing it or if itís just that some time has passed. Iíve tried resetting my network settings, and Verizon hasnít had any ideas other than trying a new SIM card.

    Has anyone experienced this before? I almost always have between 3 and full service on Verizon, and very fast and strong Wi-Fi, but I have had some intermittent problems with data being slow/useless on Verizon despite full service bars displayed. Iím not sure if the phone could be related, even though Iíve got the other devices attached to the number which should also be receiving the calls.

    Thanks for any input!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,151
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have this issue from time to time on my iPX with Verizon. I donít think itís a device issue, or it could be. I donít know. Either way, itís annoying.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    51
    Feedback Score
    0
    This happens with my iPhone 7 on AT&T also


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Western Missouri
    Posts
    152
    Device(s)
    LG G-3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    My sister is having a similar problem on an android phone. Part of the time any calls from friends that are on AT&T won't come in go straight to voice mail, a battery pull will fix it for a day or two then starts again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,635
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    And this is what you get with VoIP based services like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

    All carriers are now unreliable because of it. All-IP usually equates to "best-effort". Welcome to the future, there's no going back.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    129
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    And this is what you get with VoIP based services like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

    All carriers are now unreliable because of it. All-IP usually equates to "best-effort". Welcome to the future, there's no going back.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I'm afraid you're right.

    I have been using my phones in LTE-only mode for several years now to avoid "accidental" fall backs to CDMA. The issue in my case is IMS becomes unregistered somehow, and both incoming VoLTE calls and SMS stop working, while data is unaffected. It was happening rarely in the past, but now it seems that it got worse. It happened to me this Saturday and today.

    Here's how it looks on my Pixel

    Name:  Screenshot_20190212-201807.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  41.4 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-201958.png
Views: 350
Size:  23.7 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-204038.png
Views: 348
Size:  69.0 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-210351.png
Views: 348
Size:  76.0 KB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    337
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have had the same issue on my XS Max. Also have the watch and iPad.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    671
    Feedback Score
    0
    You guys think it’s just an issue with the IMS provisioning system, and it’ll all be worked out before the 12/31 deadline? It does suck it keeps happening to you guys.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    I'm afraid you're right.

    I have been using my phones in LTE-only mode for several years now to avoid "accidental" fall backs to CDMA. The issue in my case is IMS becomes unregistered somehow, and both incoming VoLTE calls and SMS stop working, while data is unaffected. It was happening rarely in the past, but now it seems that it got worse. It happened to me this Saturday and today.

    Here's how it looks on my Pixel

    Name:  Screenshot_20190212-201807.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  41.4 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-201958.png
Views: 350
Size:  23.7 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-204038.png
Views: 348
Size:  69.0 KB Name:  Screenshot_20190212-210351.png
Views: 348
Size:  76.0 KB
    This is compelling, I located where the "IMS Status" area is on my iPhone, and of course right now (while it's working) it says "Voice & SMS," but that'll be a place I can check next time I start losing calls.

    When this happens to me, none of my Number Share devices receive the call either. Does this suggest that the issue is on the end of the IMS Service, as opposed to an issue with my phone dropping its connection to IMS? (Since calls go to my other devices when my phone is turned off or out of service, I have to assume delivering calls to my other devices doesn't rely on my phone).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Feedback Score
    0

    Missing Calls, iPhone XS Doesn't Ring

    There are 170 pages of complaints and problems regarding poor reception on the XS and XS max. The problems have existed since the release of the phones. Many folks have returned the phones and exchanged them for iPhone 8 and the problems are gone. Google iPhone XS reception problems and see the forums on macroumers. The new phones from from Apple are bad news this year.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    There are 170 pages of complaints and problems regarding poor reception on the XS and XS max. The problems have existed since the release of the phones. Many folks have returned the phones and exchanged them for iPhone 8 and the problems are gone. Google iPhone XS reception problems and see the forums on macroumers. The new phones from from Apple are bad news this year.
    I've seen some of this as well, but even if my XS has terrible reception on both LTE and Wi-Fi despite showing strong service, shouldn't my other devices ring?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    129
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyDH View Post
    This is compelling, I located where the "IMS Status" area is on my iPhone, and of course right now (while it's working) it says "Voice & SMS," but that'll be a place I can check next time I start losing calls.

    When this happens to me, none of my Number Share devices receive the call either. Does this suggest that the issue is on the end of the IMS Service, as opposed to an issue with my phone dropping its connection to IMS? (Since calls go to my other devices when my phone is turned off or out of service, I have to assume delivering calls to my other devices doesn't rely on my phone).
    I'm not exactly sure how calls for these Number Share devices are implemented, but at least both VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling rely on IMS. I would say that your issue is very likely IMS related. IMS is a software thing, so if your data is not affected during the times you see the issue, it's most likely the issue with IMS on the Verizon network side.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    337
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyDH View Post
    Hello! I switched to Verizon a few months ago, about a month after getting an iPhone XS. On a somewhat regular but intermittent basis, I do not receive phone calls. What I mean is thereís no indication on any of my devices that a call is coming in, or that Iíve missed a call, I only know because I receive a voicemail or someone texts me to follow up. This has happened in a few different locations, both on Wi-Fi calling and just on LTE. I also have a cellular Apple Watch (activated on Verizon), and my number shared with an iPad and MacBook Proóthese calls do not ring or show as missed on these devices either. The callers have been varied (landline or cell), and they experience either the usual rings followed by voicemail, or a message that the caller isnít available and then voicemail.

    When I find out this is happening, usually restarting my phone seems to fix it, though I donít know if thatís actually fixing it or if itís just that some time has passed. Iíve tried resetting my network settings, and Verizon hasnít had any ideas other than trying a new SIM card.

    Has anyone experienced this before? I almost always have between 3 and full service on Verizon, and very fast and strong Wi-Fi, but I have had some intermittent problems with data being slow/useless on Verizon despite full service bars displayed. Iím not sure if the phone could be related, even though Iíve got the other devices attached to the number which should also be receiving the calls.

    Thanks for any input!
    Have you had any luck with finding a solution. I still have the same issue. I opened network tickets and the response I got from the engineer was ďitís not the network, if you want to have your phone ring reliably then get rid of your iPhone and get a different phoneĒ. Apple claims nothing is wrong with the phone and itís Verizon and Verizon says the network is fine and itís apples problem.

    I donít think itís a software issue cause when I call the phone it immediately goes to voicemail like the device isnít even on but I still can make calls and get emails/texts. As soon as I toggle the device in and out of airplane mode or power cycle the phone it rings Again. Sometimes it will do it 3-4 times in a day and other times it doesnít do it for weeks.

    IMO it has to be with how the phone is provisioned where itís getting periodically ďpartially kicked offĒ of the network.

    I have restored the device multiple times and had the SIM card replaced with no permanent solution.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    314
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was expecting a call once but my iPhone 7 never rang, when I looked at the phone I could see it recieved the call about 15 minutes ago but it never rang, so far that has only happened to me once that I’m aware of and that was a week or so ago. These smartphones are to complicated, I miss my basic flip phone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    337
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    I was expecting a call once but my iPhone 7 never rang, when I looked at the phone I could see it recieved the call about 15 minutes ago but it never rang, so far that has only happened to me once that Iím aware of and that was a week or so ago. These smartphones are to complicated, I miss my basic flip phone.
    When I have the issue the missed call doesnít even show up in my call log. But if the person leaves a voicemail I will get that alert.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. missed calls iPhone 4
    By LAJOSAEE in forum Apple
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM
  5. Phone doesn't ring when called?
    By mike in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2001, 07:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks