Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Canada / Mexico roaming options for 5 line plan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,121
    Feedback Score
    0

    Canada / Mexico roaming options for 5 line plan

    I am currently on the 5 line for $100 plan and my family member added the $5 International Canada and Mexico feature to one of the lines for a family member whos is travelling in Mexico. Their phone is not working in Mexico. The Cricket 611 phone rep told me that feature was for calling those plan (vs roaming) and that that I need to upgrade plans and suggested moving the to 5 line /$125 plan. Is this correct or is there another problem ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    185
    Feedback Score
    0
    I added the $10 dominican republic plan for one month when traveling there. I needed wifi calling in order to use it. When i cancelled no effect on my 5/$100 plan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I am currently on the 5 line for $100 plan and my family member added the $5 International Canada and Mexico feature to one of the lines for a family member whos is travelling in Mexico. Their phone is not working in Mexico. The Cricket 611 phone rep told me that feature was for calling those plan (vs roaming) and that that I need to upgrade plans and suggested moving the to 5 line /$125 plan. Is this correct or is there another problem ?
    I believe if you change plans you will lose the grandfathered. I face the same issue when traveling to Canada in March. Others here told me I would need to get a different SIM from a different provider

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    I believe if you change plans you will lose the grandfathered. I face the same issue when traveling to Canada in March. Others here told me I would need to get a different SIM from a different provider
    What would be a good/cheap local Canadian sim for a week long trip?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    What would be a good/cheap local Canadian sim for a week long trip?
    Apparently there aren't any cheap ones with Canadian provider. People suggested doing AT&T Prepaid for a month as that has Canada roaming. I still haven't decided what to do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,746
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    Canada / Mexico roaming options for 5 line plan

    How much data usage? How many calls? Would that calls be back to the US? Where do you need coverage?

    Canadian prepaid options are pretty terrible, but it depends on usage. I would ask in the Canadian prepaid forums.
    Last edited by mch; 02-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,739
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just got back from Puerto Vallarta and surrounding area with my Cricket service and calling/texting worked flawlessly. THat line is on the basic $30. plan with the $5. Mex/Canada plan added. Btw, I'm using a unlocked phone, Nexus 6P.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    How much data usage? How many calls? Would that calls be back to the US? Where do you need coverage?

    Canadian prepaid options are pretty terrible, but it depends on usage. I would ask in the Canadian prepaid forums.
    I wouldn't need any minutes, just data. I'm planning on a week long travel to Quebec. Asking a Canadian prepaid forum is a good idea.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    I wouldn't need any minutes, just data. I'm planning on a week long travel to Quebec. Asking a Canadian prepaid forum is a good idea.
    Rent a Google Fi data only SIM for your trip if you don't use a lot of data or rent a Cricket unlimited plan SIM if you plan to use a lot of data. Both are good choices and cheap. PM me if you need more information. It will take 10 days for SIM to be delivered, so plan ahead.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    Rent a Google Fi data only SIM for your trip if you don't use a lot of data or rent a Cricket unlimited plan SIM if you plan to use a lot of data. Both are good choices and cheap. PM me if you need more information. It will take 10 days for SIM to be delivered, so plan ahead.
    Looks like for $70 I can get two lines of 8GB AT&T prepaid high speed which includes Canada - one sim for my phone and for my wife's. That is after an autopay and multiline discount. Don't know if I need to pay an activation fee or not on top of that

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Looks like for $70 I can get two lines of 8GB AT&T prepaid high speed which includes Canada - one sim for my phone and for my wife's. That is after an autopay and multiline discount. Don't know if I need to pay an activation fee or not on top of that
    I only paid $15 to rent a Cricket unlimited SIM for a 10 day trip to Canada.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    I only paid $15 to rent a Cricket unlimited SIM for a 10 day trip to Canada.
    What is this renting business, is that something someone running under the table so to speak or a legit business online? Where is the link?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    What is this renting business, is that something someone running under the table so to speak or a legit business online? Where is the link?
    yes I am curious too

    Gotta be someone who has an extra line (maybe they bought a phone with it) and trying to recoup

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is not a business. It is a spare line in a Cricket Unlimited group that helps other Cricket 5/$100 group members to stay in the grandfathered plan. Short term renting a Cricket Unlimited SIM is a good option for traveling to Canada and Mexico. For other international traveling, there is a Google Fi data only SIM that has 3GB LTE roaming data for each trip.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    This is not a business. It is a spare line in a Cricket Unlimited group that helps other Cricket 5/$100 group members to stay in the grandfathered plan. Short term renting a Cricket Unlimited SIM is a good option for traveling to Canada and Mexico. For other international traveling, there is a Google Fi data only SIM that has 3GB LTE roaming data for each trip.
    Sounds like a business to me, but what do I know. I am guessing this is also against TOS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will Verizon match T-Mobile for Canada/ Mexico roaming?
    By DeadManWalking in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 08:32 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:40 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:27 PM
  4. my options for changing plans...
    By jorken in forum AT&T
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-30-2002, 09:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks