Thread: Any realistic way to modernize a Galaxy Nexus?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Any realistic way to modernize a Galaxy Nexus?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and was wondering if there’s anything that can be done to it so that I can use it as a backup phone?

Currently it’s running Android 4.3.3 (that’s the newest OS I could upgrade it to).

Why do I want to do this? I have a sentimental attachment to the phone.

My thinking is to root the phone so that newer versions of Android could be installed on it, thus allowing the apps I’d need most (Facebook Messenger, Google Translate, WhatsApp, Uber, Lyft) to work.

I understand the processor, RAM, etc. are 7 years old. But having the newest versions of both Android and the apps mentioned should at least work in a pinch, right?

Any thoughts/suggestions/etc.?

TIA!

Feedback Score
    I can't help you with rooting since I never did that but I have another idea you can try that might be less work.

Check if there are older versions of the apps that will run on your OS. I have used old versions of apps before when the newest would not run on my os.

Another alternative for some apps is using a browser if possible.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I can't help you with rooting since I never did that but I have another idea you can try that might be less work.

Check if there are older versions of the apps that will run on your OS. I have used old versions of apps before when the newest would not run on my os.

Another alternative for some apps is using a browser if possible.
    Excellent idea! Thank you! I’ll see where I can find older versions of apps.