Thread: Video output: The question no one ever asks.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Video output: The question no one ever asks.

One feature I'd like to have in my next phone is a video output jack. Now, it used to be that phones that had this feature would have a micro-HDMI port on the side of the phone. Today, it will be bundled into the USB-C port and you use a splitter box to break out the video. The problem is that no one mentions in their specs if this feature is supported or not. How do you tell, looking a a phone's specs if the video output is available on the USB-C port or not? What questions do you ask.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One feature I'd like to have in my next phone is a video output jack. Now, it used to be that phones that had this feature would have a micro-HDMI port on the side of the phone. Today, it will be bundled into the USB-C port and you use a splitter box to break out the video. The problem is that no one mentions in their specs if this feature is supported or not. How do you tell, looking a a phone's specs if the video output is available on the USB-C port or not? What questions do you ask.
    MHL and SlimPort used to be a thing. Looks like the last Galaxy S that supported MHL was the S5. MHL just took a cheap cable - USB on one end and HDMI on the other.

Some phones can "cast" over Wifi to a TV through a Roku, Firestick, etc. When I tried it on my Galaxy S3 and S4 the phones got so hot that they shutdown after a few minutes on thermal overload.

If you get it to work, it is not considered to be tethering. The phone is using the data, not the TV.

Feedback Score
    Windows 10 supports Miracast so you can mirror a Windows 10 screen to another windows 10 pc and I tested that it works and is easy to do.

I heard that android lollipop and higher supports Miracast but most phones don't have it enabled. Some high end phones might have it.

I have the unlocked moto e4 and it has a menu for cast but can't get it to work.

Google Chromecast is not the same because it requires you to have a home WiFi network to use it. I heard there might be an experimental way to do it using WiFi direct but doubt it would be easy.

So for Android there is no easy universal way to mirror your phone.

I don't understand why they don't have an easy universal way to mirror an Android screen because this is a feature a lot of people want to watch video on a larger screen without using hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    Windows 10 supports Miracast so you can mirror a Windows 10 screen to another windows 10 pc and I tested that it works and is easy to do.

I heard that android lollipop and higher supports Miracast but most phones don't have it enabled. Some high end phones might have it.

I have the unlocked moto e4 and it has a menu for cast but can't get it to work.

Google Chromecast is not the same because it requires you to have a home WiFi network to use it. I heard there might be an experimental way to do it using WiFi direct but doubt it would be easy.

So for Android there is no easy universal way to mirror your phone.

I don't understand why they don't have an easy universal way to mirror an Android screen because this is a feature a lot of people want to watch video on a larger screen without using hotspot.
    try checking out some of the youtube videos on Miracast - https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ror+your+phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try checking out some of the youtube videos on Miracast - https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ror+your+phone
    I have checked into Miracast. There is even a website you can check what phones support it.

My point was that it is not a feature supported on most Android phones.

If Windows 10 supports Miracast I see no reason why android does not support it on all or most phones.

I think it would be a great feature to have.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I was kind of looking for a hardware solution that would allow me to connect my phone to a monitor.
    The best information Google can find seems to be on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-C#Smartphones

Feedback Score
    Below is the link to check if a device has MHL.

http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx

Below is the link to check if a device has Miracast.

https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/miracast

Feedback Score
    I read that the problem with mhl is that it requires special hardware which cost more for the manufacturers.

The advantage of Miracast is it is just software and requires no special hardware so cost nothing for the manufacturer to implement.

So I would think that Miracast would be more common than mhl.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    Below is the link to check if a device has MHL.

http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx
    Thanks. .