Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Unlocking a Free TMO phone with $100 ePin promo ????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Unlocking a Free TMO phone with $100 ePin promo ????

    Hi , I was going to go over and get a Moto 5 play for the $100 ePin purchase.

    I need to unlock it so it can be used in Europe ,
    Want is the latest rules ?
    I have been on TMO prepaid Gold for 10 plus years,

    I will probably not be using it in the USA , if anything I might put the $10 tablet plan on it .

    Thanks for your ideas
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    183
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They will approve the unlock it right away if the $100 is added to the line associated with the phone. You may have to call in to get the process started. I find it takes a day or two from start to finish.

    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    679
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    They will approve the unlock it right away if the $100 is added to the line associated with the phone. You may have to call in to get the process started. I find it takes a day or two from start to finish.

    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
    It probably takes an extra $50. My last unlock was the $100 free phone promo in Nov. and I couldn't unlock until I added another $50 refill.
    Might be because of this:
    and does not include the initial activation payment.
    . This was on an existing account. There's no need to call CS, the unlock app is already on the phone. Just be sure not to add any refills you want to apply until the phone/device is 'registered' to your account. About 24 hrs, usually.

    *Be sure to ask for the ePin to be 'redeem later' so you can apply after the phone has registered to your account. The only reason I called CS was that they gave me 2 $50 refills instead of a single $100. As it turned out, it doesn't matter anymore. Under the old rules you had to add a single $100 refill. Now it's $100, not including initial activation payment.

    I outlined my experience here and upthread:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17039206
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the great info ,
    I plan on using this one so opening the box and activating it with my sim out of my other phone is not a problem , and it has $20-$30 credit on it already,
    Since my Sim already has credit on it do I just install it in the new phone and wait a day or 2 , then put the $100 ePin on the account. Is that all ?
    If I get a 2nd one is there a way to unlock it thru TMO without opening the box and activating it ?

    Thanks for you help

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    679
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Thanks for the great info ,
    I plan on using this one so opening the box and activating it with my sim out of my other phone is not a problem , and it has $20-$30 credit on it already,
    Since my Sim already has credit on it do I just install it in the new phone and wait a day or 2 , then put the $100 ePin on the account. Is that all ?
    If I get a 2nd one is there a way to unlock it thru TMO without opening the box and activating it ?

    Thanks for you help
    The current balance is irrelevant for unlocking. Put the old sim in the new phone, wait 1-2 days, add the $100, try to unlock, expect to add another $50 refill.

    I don't know how to unlock, unopened.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    183
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    It probably takes an extra $50. My last unlock was the $100 free phone promo in Nov. and I couldn't unlock until I added another $50 refill.
    Might be because of this:
    and does not include the initial activation payment.
    . This was on an existing account. There's no need to call CS, the unlock app is already on the phone. Just be sure not to add any refills you want to apply until the phone/device is 'registered' to your account. About 24 hrs, usually.

    *Be sure to ask for the ePin to be 'redeem later' so you can apply after the phone has registered to your account. The only reason I called CS was that they gave me 2 $50 refills instead of a single $100. As it turned out, it doesn't matter anymore. Under the old rules you had to add a single $100 refill. Now it's $100, not including initial activation payment.

    I outlined my experience here and upthread:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17039206
    I've always unlocked after adding $100 each time. I do this a few times per year.

    I'm not sure why you have to add an extra $50.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Space City
    Posts
    1,116
    Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Unlock eligibility for phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices on Prepaid plans

    The account associated with the device must not be canceled.

    The device on the requesting line has been active for more than one year on the T-Mobile network.

    If the device has been active for less than one year on the requesting line, the Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $100 in refills since device first use date. $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requested to be unlocked and does not include the initial activation payment.



    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Strike one !

    The TMobile store said they could not do it , they had to give me a new number and put the $100 on that account......
    I knew it was wrong but I was in a hurry and did not want to spend 30 minutes for him to figure it out or give up !
    So there are 3 more Tmoble stores within a few miles of here and I will try another one tomorrow hopefully ,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Space City
    Posts
    1,116
    Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My T-Mobile store also said I had to activate the phone with a new number and add the $100 PIN at activation. The clerk couldn't make her online system process the purchase any other way.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    679
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Strike one !

    The TMobile store said they could not do it , they had to give me a new number and put the $100 on that account......
    I knew it was wrong but I was in a hurry and did not want to spend 30 minutes for him to figure it out or give up !
    So there are 3 more Tmoble stores within a few miles of here and I will try another one tomorrow hopefully ,
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    My T-Mobile store also said I had to activate the phone with a new number and add the $100 PIN at activation. The clerk couldn't make her online system process the purchase any other way.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    Did you ask for the ePin to marked as 'redeem later'? You don't want to apply it immediately. And you want to apply it to your new device if you want to unlock it. As I said earlier, my clerk made me verify I had an existing account, even looked up my number with pin(!) in his system. As I left, he even said to come back if I wanted another phone. Shocked.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    GOT it with extra $10 !
    I just went to the 2nd TMO store and they figured out how to do it , thanks for all your help ,
    But they did charge me $10 for the sim card inside the Moto e5 play box ?????
    It's a separate $10 sim charge but I was not given a sim.,,ummmm

    It was not worth the trouble to argue about it or go to another TMO store so I just paid it ,
    Is that charge normal ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    183
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    GOT it with extra $10 !
    I just went to the 2nd TMO store and they figured out how to do it , thanks for all your help ,
    But they did charge me $10 for the sim card inside the Moto e5 play box ?????
    It's a separate $10 sim charge but I was not given a sim.,,ummmm

    It was not worth the trouble to argue about it or go to another TMO store so I just paid it ,
    Is that charge normal ?
    No, they should not be charging you for the sim inside the box. Imagine if you paid full price for the phone and then they put an extra $10 on top of the phone charge. That's just wrong. I'd contact CS and let them know. They will probably credit you $10 for that sneaky store manoeuvre.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,781
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah you shouldn't be charged for that sim. I would complain to see if they can credit it


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does anyone have the link to the better phones you can get on the $100 ePin deal ?
    I think there was a Moto e5 plus , Galaxy J3 maybe and some other models ,
    Yes you had to pay extra for these , but it was a big discount from store price.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How do I tell when my new Moto 5e play has been attached to my TMobile account so I can try and unlock it ?

    I still have not added the ePin to my account

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks