Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Using T-Mobile on a cruise

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-D View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up that "Block Charged" disables data from Tmo Roaming Partners. I called Tmo, they agree.

Concerning Airplane Mode while on the ship and using WiFi only - The ship's expensive prepaid Internet packages are by the minute ($0.58/min to $0.29/min if you prepay $200). But incoming texts are free using the ship's (Island Princess) cellular, "Wireless Maritime Services" (WMS), which is a Tmo partner.

Calls ($6/min, in or out) and outgoing texts ($0.50/min) are expensive but if I forward my incoming phone calls to my Ooma voice mail and don't make any calls and don't send any texts, I'll only need to turn on the expensive shipboard Internet sparingly and probably be able to wait until I'm in port for free data and outgoing texts.

BTW there's also a free on-board web service via WiFi for schedules and passenger-to-passenger messaging.
    Typically... I've disabled cellular service when onboard. On prior Princess (was At&t customer), I disabled data roaming and had cellular network to manual selection. Once I knew what was broadcasting (2g/3g), I could set my phone to LTE only. When I was in Europe, and NCL was 2g/3g only... I forced my phone to LTE only and roamed off of land based sites. That won't work if you're going LA to Hawaii

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    As I've mentioned elsewhere on HoFo, you can pay the lower WiFi per minute rate ([email protected]$.50-$.75) and make a WiFi call in Airplane Mode for an urgent voice call. Not cheap, but still a lot better than $6 per minute sailing to Hawaii.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Typically... I've disabled cellular service when onboard. On prior Princess (was At&t customer), I disabled data roaming and had cellular network to manual selection. Once I knew what was broadcasting (2g/3g), I could set my phone to LTE only. When I was in Europe, and NCL was 2g/3g only... I forced my phone to LTE only and roamed off of land based sites. That won't work if you're going LA to Hawaii[/URL]
    Interesting, but I think I need to keep the ship cellular on to get free incoming texts (per the Tmo/WMS roam agmt). We can probably wait until we're in a port to get back to anyone or if its urgent, pay the $0.50/on-board text. I'm hoping that keeping all our incoming calls forwarded will eliminate the $6 hits from junk calls.

On second thought, I'm wondering if only keeping on WiFi (for the free on-board schedules and passenger-to-passenger messaging) will pass-thru Tmo free incoming texts and $0.50 out-going texts even if I'm not connected to the ship cellular (similar to the way I get free texting from Tmo on some United flights while only connected to the on-board WiFi).

Do you recall if that was the case on your Princess cruise?

Feedback Score
    Not reading this entire thread, but just wanted to add that I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise almost exactly two years ago and opted for the $15 a day unlimited wifi plan. Speeds were great. Google Duo was even usable, which just goes to show that satellite Internet has gotten better or the open ocean just means lower latency than your typical home Satellite Internet connection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3