Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Post Merger Virtual Combined Coverage Map

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,984
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Post Merger Virtual Combined Coverage Map

    https://www.fastcompany.com/90291274...-will-dominate


    Esri used its location intelligence tools and mapping skills to lay out for customers a potential future after the No. 3 carrier in the United States (T-Mobile) merges with the No. 4 carrier (Sprint) and becomes the predominant wireless service provider in many areas of the country, including metro areas like New York City, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

    The map shows the state of cellphone coverage both before and after the merger by visualizing the predominant wireless service provider at the tract and county level. You can click any place for more information about service providers and monthly bill rates, and can even enter your zip code to see what your own neighborhood will look like.


    Check the map below. What are your thoughts?

    https://esrimedia.maps.arcgis.com/ap...2aa7dc6&embed#
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,883
    Feedback Score
    0
    Isn't listing MetroPCS redundant?
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

    Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,258
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    How do they determine what constitutes "the predominant wireless service provider at the tract and county level. "?
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,102
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Check the map below. What are your thoughts?
    Sure takes the Blue out of most of the map after the merger... However if the merger is approved T-Mobile will have the first nationwide 5G network and will turn a lot of Red into the new T-Mobile....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,102
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Isn't listing MetroPCS redundant?
    I guess they are showing by service provider instead of the network on who has the most phones per zip code. I found this on the map before the merger...

    ZIP: 07108 | Newark, NJ
    The most common service provider in this ZIP code is MetroPCS. Across all providers, households here have a monthly cell phone bill of $63.

    One thing for sure if this is all service providers instead of just Networks then US Cellular and Cspire are irrelevant service provides even in their tiny regions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    10,994
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90291274...-will-dominate


    Esri used its location intelligence tools and mapping skills to lay out for customers a potential future after the No. 3 carrier in the United States (T-Mobile) merges with the No. 4 carrier (Sprint) and becomes the predominant wireless service provider in many areas of the country, including metro areas like New York City, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

    The map shows the state of cellphone coverage both before and after the merger by visualizing the predominant wireless service provider at the tract and county level. You can click any place for more information about service providers and monthly bill rates, and can even enter your zip code to see what your own neighborhood will look like.


    Check the map below. What are your thoughts?

    https://esrimedia.maps.arcgis.com/ap...2aa7dc6&embed#
    Map is based in spectrum... Not usable coverage. Inside casinoa, hotels and malls in Vegas, TMobile ends up often attempting to roam on At&t.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,258
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I guess they are showing by service provider instead of the network on who has the most phones per zip code. I found this on the map before the merger......
    If so, I'd like to know where they get the information. I didn't know that carriers release information on customers by county or zip code.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,102
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If so, I'd like to know where they get the information. I didn't know that carriers release information on customers by county or zip code.
    Don’t have the answer. My guess would be the speed test sites like Speed Test ... etc. Crowdsourcing sites like Sensory, Open Signal, Cellmapper ... etc. Again just a personal guess since with all those data points from people testing they could get enough data information for statistics to calculate service providers in a area. No way they are getting this stuff from all four networks.

    Then again it could be any cell phone App that gets your permission to your phone and GPS. When you download Cellmapper it sure knows your service provider and has your GPS so any App you download could grap that information if you give the App permissions.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 01-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    579
    Feedback Score
    0

    Post Merger Virtual Combined Coverage Map

    It’s an odd map. Locally, it shows Verizon as the dominant carrier on the uninhabited Hawaiian Island of Kahoolawe but after the merger, T-Mobile will be.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    268
    Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was in vegas and had full service almost every time inside, outside, in my room, casino floor, clubs etc. Internet was super fast as well. I have a Samsung note. Not sure why yours had to roam....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,274
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was wondering if it was just spectrum or actual coverage. A lot of spectrum isn't helpful w/o more towers :P

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,102
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I was in vegas and had full service almost every time inside, outside, in my room, casino floor, clubs etc. Internet was super fast as well. I have a Samsung note. Not sure why yours had to roam....
    In the last two months T-Mobile has deployed a lot of 600 MHz Band 71 into Las Vegas.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    10,994
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I was in vegas and had full service almost every time inside, outside, in my room, casino floor, clubs etc. Internet was super fast as well. I have a Samsung note. Not sure why yours had to roam....
    Depends on which hotel. MGM Grand was good and hitting ~60Mbps. Wynn was weak to 'No Service'. Similar with the 'Fashion Show Mall'. It was searching often inside. Caesar's Palace was weak but usable. Down the far end of the strip at the Town Square Las Vegas - with band 2 (15x15) and band 4(20x20) I was able to get ~210Mbps. Service better between the Bellagio and the Mandalay Bay.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    10,994
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    In the last two months T-Mobile has deployed a lot of 600 MHz Band 71 into Las Vegas.
    Coverage would be similar to band 12 though. Much of the strip is band 4/2, with the macros close to the freeway on band 12.

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile/Sprint Combined Coverage Map May 2018
    By oldsoul1989 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM
  2. T-Mobile and US Cellular - Combined coverage maps
    By jeffw16 in forum USCellular
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-28-2015, 03:27 PM
  3. Verizon/Alltel combined coverage map
    By 25jive1 in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
  4. Post of most recent coverage map (56K warning)
    By formercanuck in forum AT&T
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 10:25 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 09:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks