Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which USED iPhone to buy that will be good for 2 years on AT&T?

Feedback Score
    6, 6S or 7. I just retired a 6S for a 7. Company provided. Both are excellent phones.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Which USED iPhone to buy that will be good for 2 years on AT&T?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry K. Nathan View Post

AT&T's 3G network should still be up and running 2 years from now, so in terms of AT&T network compatibility, iPhone 3G and later are all sufficient. App compatibility, not AT&T's network, is the real constraint here.
    Yeah but as time goes on AT&T will continue to cut bandwidth from HSPA/UMTS. The experience will just get worse. I certainly would not recommend a 3G only phone this late in the game. 6S or 6S Plus would be a safe bet for a few years.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Can you compare a 6s and 6s plus ?
    So far that seems like the best choice ,

And they are not new enough for the status symbol Apple owners to want anymore !
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Can you compare a 6s and 6s plus ?
    So far that seems like the best choice ,

And they are not new enough for the status symbol Apple owners to want anymore !
    6s Plus has a larger, higher resolution screen, better battery life, and optical image stabilization on the rear camera... otherwise they are the same phone pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Keep in mind that the older the phone, the older the battery is. An iPhone battery replacement is about $50.
    Costs less than $10 if you buy the battery yourself and install it yourself. Installing is easy as long as you pay attention to details.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One good thing about AT&T is that they are fairly conservative about aligning their spectrum & technologies to continue to support older devices. Yes, they did drop 2G but AFAIK they've kept 3G running on either 850 or 1900 MHz just about everywhere. So, in theory an old iPhone 3Gs would still work. T-Mobile OTOH, may shift 3G up to the AWS band, drop it altogether or never deploy it in the first place, so many older 3G devices won't work with them. One is in-effect forced to update his phone even when his old phone is working well enough.

Anyway, I agree with the majority here and advise an iPhone 6 or newer but with the qualification that even older phones will still work. There are many Android phones that give good service too.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One good thing about AT&T is that they are fairly conservative about aligning their spectrum & technologies to continue to support older devices. Yes, they did drop 2G but AFAIK they've kept 3G running on either 850 or 1900 MHz just about everywhere. So, in theory an old iPhone 3Gs would still work. T-Mobile OTOH, may shift 3G up to the AWS band, drop it altogether or never deploy it in the first place, so many older 3G devices won't work with them. One is in-effect forced to update his phone even when his old phone is working well enough.

Anyway, I agree with the majority here and advise an iPhone 6 or newer but with the qualification that even older phones will still work. There are many Android phones that give good service too.
    I wouldn’t necessarily say they’re conservative about keeping spectrum on legacy technologies. AT&T has 160 MHz of spectrum on LTE where I live, and 10 MHz on UMTS.

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

T-Mobile has better support for older devices. They still have 2G GSM/EDGE up, along with 3G. At&t shut down their GSM network.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    6s Plus has a larger, higher resolution screen, better battery life, and optical image stabilization on the rear camera... otherwise they are the same phone pretty much.
    One more difference: The iPhone 6s is more durable than the 6s Plus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post

In my experience, the 6s+ also gets better reception. My 6s+ certainly does better than my wife's 6s anyway.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    6s+ with a Qualcomm chipset is what you want. Make sure to get the At&t version as that has band 30 also.

Model A1633 and A1634
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    6s+ with a Qualcomm chipset is what you want. Make sure to get the At&t version as that has band 30 also.

Model A1633 and A1634
    All 6s models have the Qualcomm modem. It was the 7/7+/8/8+/X that used the Qualcomm only on some models. Though it is possible that some older phones used different modems.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    All 6s models have the Qualcomm modem. It was the 7/7+/8/8+/X that used the Qualcomm only on some models. Though it is possible that some older phones used different modems.
    The first iPhones used Infineon modems, which was bought by Intel.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 6s would be better as for me. I take into account performance, iOS versions supported, compatibility with apps and your carrier.
    Check online reviews before buying your new gadget: https://www.pissedconsumer.com/categ...t-gadgets.html

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I think as others have said, the 6S and SE would be my pick (6 in a pinch). Most Best Buys and some Walmarts still carry AT&T Prepaid SEs for $200, which you can put an existing postpaid SIM in instead. As far as compatibility/longevity, the SE has the A9 processor, which is still considered quite powerful and should have software support for quite awhile (the 2017 iPad, iPhone 6S/6S Plus, and original iPad Pros all used chips in that family...A9/A9X). Despite the smaller screen, I'd argue it's the same or better in many ways when compared with the 6.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast