Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,155
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout

    This is very surprising to me unless the amount of non-mmWave spectrum Verizon owns has been misreported. mmWave spectrum is going to be very expensive to deploy outside the top 25 or 40 metro areas even with small cells.


    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout

    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is very surprising to me unless the amount of non-mmWave spectrum Verizon owns has been misreported. mmWave spectrum is going to be very expensive to deploy outside the top 25 or 40 metro areas even with small cells.


    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout
    I think Verizon is willing to spend what is necessary to make it work .. other then that there spectrum assets aren’t to impressive other than there mmwave spectrum


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,494
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have to assume that they know their network needs better than anyone here so if that's their thinking than so be it. Clearly they're in the mindset of building an infrastructure to be everywhere (small cells, oDAS, CRAN, etc.) instead of just throwing as many carriers on a macro as possible like AT&T and riding the CA wave to less congestion. It doesn't hurt that there are a lot of places where they have more than one wideband carrier to support the traffic and adding LAA to small cells will only further help them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I have to assume that they know their network needs better than anyone here so if that's their thinking than so be it. Clearly they're in the mindset of building an infrastructure to be everywhere (small cells, oDAS, CRAN, etc.) instead of just throwing as many carriers on a macro as possible like AT&T and riding the CA wave to less congestion. It doesn't hurt that there are a lot of places where they have more than one wideband carrier to support the traffic and adding LAA to small cells will only further help them.
    Yup I can see it in El Paso .. the amount of infrastructure that they are adding will be crazy.. permits are in and soon small cell and more towers are coming to help boost capacity where needed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,614
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is very surprising to me unless the amount of non-mmWave spectrum Verizon owns has been misreported. mmWave spectrum is going to be very expensive to deploy outside the top 25 or 40 metro areas even with small cells.


    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout
    But isn't that really only where you need the mm wave stuff? You need capacity, density, overlap, etc. in say the biggest 30 cities for a reliable network. The rest of America doesn't need 300 MHz of spectrum for fast speeds when it's serving 13 people in a town of 200 at any given time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,697
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I have to assume that they know their network needs better than anyone here so if that's their thinking than so be it. Clearly they're in the mindset of building an infrastructure to be everywhere (small cells, oDAS, CRAN, etc.) instead of just throwing as many carriers on a macro as possible like AT&T and riding the CA wave to less congestion. It doesn't hurt that there are a lot of places where they have more than one wideband carrier to support the traffic and adding LAA to small cells will only further help them.
    Hey Jim, not sure if you've been following in the At&t thread, but they're rolling out small cells in many different parts of the country. It's been confirmed in parts of north Carolina, El Paso TX, New Orleans baton rouge Louisiana and Oklahoma City recently, aside from the ones they've been building out in Manhattan, Chicago, LA and a few other major metros.

    We should really start a thread dedicated to it in the T forum like you have here.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    425
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Yup I can see it in El Paso .. the amount of infrastructure that they are adding will be crazy.. permits are in and soon small cell and more towers are coming to help boost capacity where needed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    "This is Tyron with TechLife????"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,457
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    "This is Tyron with TechLife????"
    Yes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    425
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Yes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Cool - I'm subscribed to your channel. As soon as you said El Paso and I saw your username I figured it was you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,329
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is very surprising to me unless the amount of non-mmWave spectrum Verizon owns has been misreported. mmWave spectrum is going to be very expensive to deploy outside the top 25 or 40 metro areas even with small cells.


    Verizon says current spectrum holdings are sufficient for 5G buildout
    Verizon's purchase of XO made it a top 5 fiber provider in 16 of the largest metro areas outside of their footprint. They bought the Chicago area fiber network from WOW cable.

    They have been running massive amounts of fiber in 50 metro areas outside of their ILEC footprint.

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/ed...n-bets-farm-5g

    Vestberg also said that Verizon continues to invest in fiber as a way to bolster its 5G buildout and network densification efforts. Specifically, he said that Verizon is deploying fiber into 50 different cities outside of its traditional ILEC fiber footprint.
    They bought 37 million miles of fiber from Corning and another 10 million miles of fiber from Prysmian just for this.

    https://arstechnica.com/information-...not-more-fios/

    https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...chase-prysmian

    Verizon is focusing on multiple products for that fiber, 5G wireless, business services, smart city services and 5G fixed so for them this is not just about 5G wireless. This is Verizon moving all their products to the rest of the country not just wireless.

    They have 600+mhz of spare mmwave spectrum nationwide. Running the fiber makes all that capable of being used. I doubt Verizon will ever offer 5G outside of the top 100 or so metro areas where most people live. They'll leave the farmlands to someone else.

    There is no reason Verizon can't refarm its lowband at some point for 5G when they feel they need it. MMwave though has much higher throughput/speeds due to the much larger channel sizes and despite the story it's likely Verizon bids in the CBRS auction and the 24ghz auction.
    Last edited by offthegrid; 01-12-2019 at 03:50 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Posts
    721
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think CBRS will play a big roll in rural area's especially in Bell Atlantic area's.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,155
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    But isn't that really only where you need the mm wave stuff? You need capacity, density, overlap, etc. in say the biggest 30 cities for a reliable network. The rest of America doesn't need 300 MHz of spectrum for fast speeds when it's serving 13 people in a town of 200 at any given time.
    I'm not an expert. However, I don't think mmWave has proved how useful it will be in mobile application since mmWave has very poor penetration and very short distances. I have read that even glass is a major barrier for mmWave especially in the 38 Ghz spectrum area and higher. Maybe, tons of small cells will be the solution for mmWave inside large buildings.

    However I think mmWave will be very useful in the fixed WISP market for home broadband with an antenna on the outside of the building. So even small cities would be a good market with mmWave for fixed WISP markets.

    Just don't understand why Verizon doesn't want to buy some low band spectrum as they move into 5G NR. Agree, Verizon knows best what they need for their network.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    903
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I'm not an expert. However, I don't think mmWave has proved how useful it will be in mobile application since mmWave has very poor penetration and very short distances. I have read that even glass is a major barrier for mmWave especially in the 38 Ghz spectrum area and higher. Maybe, tons of small cells will be the solution for mmWave inside large buildings.

    However I think mmWave will be very useful in the fixed WISP market for home broadband with an antenna on the outside of the building. So even small cities would be a good market with mmWave for fixed WISP markets.

    Just don't understand why Verizon doesn't want to buy some low band spectrum as they move into 5G NR. Agree, Verizon knows best what they need for their network.
    If a 5G cell is on a light pole guess what people are OUTSIDE on their phone are they not. People go to the park are out in their yards take walks in their neighborhoods do they not? If I'm standing 200 feet from a light pole in a park my 5G phone is working just fine and reliving the 4G network of congestion s well as the dozen or hundreds of other people in the park.

    As far as indoor it's not going to have to go through glass since their will be antennas on the sides of buildings. And if you go into a building without a mmwave antenna guess what your phone will just go to 4G mode because guess what phones will be both 4G and 5G for many many years. When Verizon shuts down it's 4G network in 12-20 years that spectrum will be refarmed for 5G.

    I think people are going to be shocked that Verizon is actually buying mm wave in rural areas. Someone is, if anyone is following the 28 GHz auction. when the results of this auction are made public don't be shock if Verizon has 28 GHz in nearly every county( 28 GHz licenses are at the county level ) in the lower 48. And when the 24 GHz auction in over don't be shock if Verizon has at least one if not two 100 MHz blocks in every PEA( 24 will be auctioned off in PEAs not counties )

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    671
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Hey Jim, not sure if you've been following in the At&t thread, but they're rolling out small cells in many different parts of the country. It's been confirmed in parts of north Carolina, El Paso TX, New Orleans baton rouge Louisiana and Oklahoma City recently, aside from the ones they've been building out in Manhattan, Chicago, LA and a few other major metros.

    We should really start a thread dedicated to it in the T forum like you have here.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    I’d like to know how all of this new equipment will immediately benefit the majority of 4G LTE customers Verizon currently has. Will they be seeing faster call setups and noticeably improved audio quality and see signal where they previously did not? I’d also like to know what LTE bands will be seen on the new equipment.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,494
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Hey Jim, not sure if you've been following in the At&t thread, but they're rolling out small cells in many different parts of the country. It's been confirmed in parts of north Carolina, El Paso TX, New Orleans baton rouge Louisiana and Oklahoma City recently, aside from the ones they've been building out in Manhattan, Chicago, LA and a few other major metros.

    We should really start a thread dedicated to it in the T forum like you have here.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    I'm only familiar with a couple of markets but yes AT&T seems to be finally rolling out small cells. As far as I know they're really only targeting more urban areas whereas Verizon has been installing small cells all over in the place including small towns. I know in upstate NY they'll typically throw 2-3 small cells in a town that the other carriers would just use a macro to cover.

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile eyes spectrum above 95 GHz for 5G backhaul
    By shilohcane in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2018, 10:37 AM
  2. Verizon upgrading to North Las Vegas site for 5G broadband
    By weskeene in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 04:09 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 10:19 PM
  5. Verizon says Connecticut cell tower could be off for 6 weeks!
    By bobabbate in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 07:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks