Thread: Interesting and might be Useful for Some.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Interesting and might be Useful for Some.

Just for curiosity, I placed my activated Google Fi SIM into two of my old phones to see if it would work. One of them is a Blackberry PRIV and the other is Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Both are running Android 6.01. I shut off the WIFI connections on both and both phones worked. One more interesting thing is that the Galaxy Note 4 is a T-Mobile phone and I have never unlocked that. It seems that since Google Fi uses T-Mobile network, the T-Mobile branded phone works without unlocking.
    When I placed the Google Fi SIM into my BB PRIV, I checked the network connection and get a notification that the phone is not a device that would work with Google Fi. The notification provided a link to devices that work with Google Fi. The phone worked no different than the Note 4. I really do not see anything different in operation a Google Fi SIM and a T-Mobile SIM in these two phones. In fact, I do not see any difference using the Google Fi with my Samsung S8+.
    I was able to make calls on the T-Mobile branded Note 4 without any issue. There is no problem of connecting to the internet via the cell service.
    So, it seems that Google Fi SIM would work on some phones that were not supposed to work per Google Fi. I guess the benefit of this discovery is that if my phone that is used with Google Fi were not functioning, other older phones would work with that Google Fi SIM. This would opened up a bunch of phones for temporary use or as spares.
    Disclaimer: -
    I only briefly tested these two phones. I could not tell if all other older phones would work.
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much as expected. Just because the phone works with the Tmobile portion of Project Fi, doesn't mean it works as a Project Fi phone which, of course, works on "all" the carrier portions; Sprint, US, etc.

They certainly are not going to say your phones work, when they know they won't in Sprint areas, etc.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Might be useful information for someone (like me) whose Nexus phone goes TU and needs to be sent to LG to be repaired.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Pretty much as expected. Just because the phone works with the Tmobile portion of Project Fi, doesn't mean it works as a Project Fi phone which, of course, works on "all" the carrier portions; Sprint, US, etc.

They certainly are not going to say your phones work, when they know they won't in Sprint areas, etc.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app
    I picked up a LG G7 ThinQ from Google and signed up for Google Fi Service. Google Fi is discounting this LG G7 and kicks in a $200 credit for using it on Google Fi. It is a great deal that I could not resist. I activated 2 lines. I use a Samsung S8+ on the other Google Fi line. The LG G7 has the full Google Fi features, including the network switching and VPN but the Samsung S8+ does not. The S8+ is operating on T-Mobile’s network only.
    The Google Fi info not only does not list the older phones, it specified unlocked phone to work with Google Fi. What was not expected is that my T-Mobile locked Note 4 works with Google Fi.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I used Fi on a OnePlus 2 phone for about a year with no problems. Fi used to prefer Sprint's network to T-Mobile's, but with T-Mobile having a larger native footprint, it would only make sense to go with them. While this opens up more phones, it would continue the question for many Fi users as to if they should keep Fi or go with a T-Mobille prepaid or postpaid plan that will give them more data for less money.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    I used Fi on a OnePlus 2 phone for about a year with no problems. Fi used to prefer Sprint's network to T-Mobile's, but with T-Mobile having a larger native footprint, it would only make sense to go with them. While this opens up more phones, it would continue the question for many Fi users as to if they should keep Fi or go with a T-Mobille prepaid or postpaid plan that will give them more data for less money.
    Other than my new LG G7 that is bought from Google, all my phones are on GSM network. So, there is no option of going on Sprint network. I moved from T-Mobile to Google Fi because I travel overseas. That is why I pack a Samsung S8+ Duos. While T-Mobile does provide free overseas data service but it is only at 2G. One can pay $15.00 per month more to get a better speed but was only advertised at twice the speed. Google Fi has no roaming charges; the phone would provide the same data speed at home. Now, my 2nd line (local SIM) on my dual SIM phone is used for calls and text only. Unless it is a new phone most 2 SIM phones’ 2nd SIM is not 4G anyway. With T-Mobil, I had to pay to a separate data only SIM for my Samsung Tab S3. Google Fi does not charge extra for the data SIM. It just charged for data used. For the amount of data that I use, I should break even or get a cheaper monthly bill. If I bring the Tablet overseas, the speed is too slow to be useful and I still get charged $20.00 a month.