Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T starts calling their 4G..... 5G. LOL.

Feedback Score
    Remember when T-Mobile renamed hspa+ to 4g?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by punishedsnake View Post

Yeah. I addressed it in Post # 3.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah. I addressed it in Post # 3.
    Yup

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Most People don't know much about 5G NR other than they want it since it is faster.

This group thinks that AT&T display a “5GE” logo could result in AT&T passing Verizon in the total number of customers .
    No doubt. The word that comes to mind is: shameless!

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punishedsnake View Post

LOL that is because HSPA+ is 4G

What is HSPA+ 4G

" A faster version, HSPA+, has been widely considered 3.5G, until the ITU decision in December opened up those terms to a more liberal interpretation. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T weren't happy. The technology is an incremental approach to upgrading existing HSPA networks, not a whole new generation of technology. Still, the ITU decision means carriers can start referring to their HSPA+ networks as 4G. " Wired Explains: What U.S. Carriers Mean by '4G'

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G

Now defend AT&T and Verizon that are lying about having 5G...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LOL that is because HSPA+ is 4G

What is HSPA+ 4G

" A faster version, HSPA+, has been widely considered 3.5G, until the ITU decision in December opened up those terms to a more liberal interpretation. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T weren't happy. The technology is an incremental approach to upgrading existing HSPA networks, not a whole new generation of technology. Still, the ITU decision means carriers can start referring to their HSPA+ networks as 4G. " Wired Explains: What U.S. Carriers Mean by '4G'

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G

Now defend AT&T and Verizon that are lying about having 5G...
    It's not, doesn't matter what DTF says. It does not comply with the standard of 4g.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has really lost there way, and it's disappointing. What's going on currently with Big Blue is a complete *hi* show!!!

They're totally only about lip service.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This can actually be good for T-Mobile in that they can use this against AT&T in advertising. AT&T are pathetic and proper counter advertising will show that to be true.

On a side note, I just replaced all the emblems on my Toyota with "Lamborghini". Who knew it was so easy to own such a high end sports car.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That reminds me of the time a guy down the street replaced a Chrysler 300 grill with a Bentley grill and was trying to resell it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

AT&T wireless CEO on fake 5G complaints: ‘that makes me smile’ @ CES

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18...ponse-ces-2019

“If I now occupy beachfront real estate in our competitors’ heads, that makes me smile,” AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan said during an appearance on stage at CES today. “Every company is guilty of building a narrative of how you want the world to work and I love the fact that we broke our industry’s narrative two days ago, and they’re frustrated and gonna do what they’re gonna do.”

AT&T seems to be well aware of what it’s doing. By changing LTE icons to say “5G E,” a large number of its subscribers will be seeing a “5G” icon easily a year or more before subscribers of other carriers do. That could give it an edge in consumer perception as the 5G marketing battle heats up.

Donovan even acknowledges how important that little icon is, noting that “that real estate has always been the place that the customer goes to see what’s happening with my network.”

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18...ponse-ces-2019

“If I now occupy beachfront real estate in our competitors’ heads, that makes me smile,” AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan said during an appearance on stage at CES today. “Every company is guilty of building a narrative of how you want the world to work and I love the fact that we broke our industry’s narrative two days ago, and they’re frustrated and gonna do what they’re gonna do.”

AT&T seems to be well aware of what it’s doing. By changing LTE icons to say “5G E,” a large number of its subscribers will be seeing a “5G” icon easily a year or more before subscribers of other carriers do. That could give it an edge in consumer perception as the 5G marketing battle heats up.

Donovan even acknowledges how important that little icon is, noting that “that real estate has always been the place that the customer goes to see what’s happening with my network.”
    Little better version that has the AT&T CEO on video getting interviewed in that has that statement plus Verizon CEO. Also, looks like T-Mobile new customers dropped AT&T’s stock. Also, found out AT&T is laying off 7,000 people.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/att-...bscribers.html

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is in a financial bind. They have close to $200 billion in debt because so much has been spent on the media business. They've already said they have to cut $20 billion in debt this year - that is a lot of cuts.

Really down the road based on what's happening right now I see Tmobile and Verizon fighting it out with AT&T being relegated to a number 3.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    While I certainly think it's misleading, I personally hope it backfires on AT&T. I hope Apple won't go for it, but perhaps they will (as they did succumb to the 4G logo, but perhaps only after the ITU caved to the AT&T/T-Mobile pressure since Verizon was already well ahead of them on LTE).

All that said, I can't wait for a bunch of people to start tweeting/posting speed tests with AT&T 5GE logos showing poor speed tests with quotes saying things like "Thanks AT&T, I guess this is all we can look forward to", etc.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    While I certainly think it's misleading, I personally hope it backfires on AT&T. I hope Apple won't go for it, but perhaps they will (as they did succumb to the 4G logo, but perhaps only after the ITU caved to the AT&T/T-Mobile pressure since Verizon was already well ahead of them on LTE).

All that said, I can't wait for a bunch of people to start tweeting/posting speed tests with AT&T 5GE logos showing poor speed tests with quotes saying things like "Thanks AT&T, I guess this is all we can look forward to", etc.

I think AT&T biggest issue will be when they have real 5G NR spectrum and they have to tell everyone that old phone they think supports 5G doesn't really support 5G NR. Then some of the customers will say his old phone been working with AT&T 5G and thinks the phone salesman is trying to rip him off. The salesman has to tell the customer that AT&T lied to them since that was FAKE 5G on his old phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Really down the road based on what's happening right now I see Tmobile and Verizon fighting it out with AT&T being relegated to a number 3.
    I agree very much. When the T-Mobile/Sprint merger was announced and people were fretting about losing T-Mobile as a value carrier, I stated that T-Mobile has every right to compete with Verizon and AT&T on a level playing field. In addition, I predicted that T-Mobile could surpass AT&T due to AT&T's investments into the video transmission providers and it would actually be AT&T who would become the lower tier value provider.

So far it appears its headed in that direction. A lot of AT&T's efforts in the upcoming years will be keeping their behemoth company afloat and not competing to be the best wireless network.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast