Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T starts calling their 4G..... 5G. LOL.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T starts calling their 4G..... 5G. LOL.

I guess all you have to do to achieve 5G is to update everyone's 4G notification icon to 5G. Saves lots of money on their part. LOL.

I know Tmo kinda did a similar thing with their enhanced 3G (calling it 4G) but the speeds actually warranted that. This is just ridiculous.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...tware-updates/

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I know Tmo kinda did a similar thing with their enhanced 3G (calling it 4G) but the speeds actually warranted that.
    No, they didn't.

It was bull **** then, just like it is now.

I just hope they don't scam Apple into playing along this time, like AT&T and T-Mo did with "4G". Carrier lies get exhausting after a while!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I brought up this topic in the AT&T forums a couple of weeks back. You can check it out here: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...th-5GE-in-2019

It's true I wasn't a fan of HSPA+ being called 4G initially but I believe the big difference is that the ITU approved HSPA+ to qualify for: "4G." For those of you who don't suffer from mobile amnesia the original WiMax and LTE networks that US carriers deployed didn't technically qualify to be labeled as 4G either and T-Mobile used that argument and won. https://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa...ording-to-itu/

5GE on the other hand is straight-up-made-up-fake-it-til-you-make-it 5G done for the sole purpose to mislead customers into thinking they are using a 5G network when they actually aren't. AT&T actually trademarked the 5G Evolution brand so nobody but them could mislead their customers with the service: https://trademarks.justia.com/872/87/5g-87287888.html

For the record T-Mobile offered its customers a fast HSPA+ 42 experience vs the slower HSPA + 21 implementation AT&T offered.

Here are T-Mobile's comments on the situation courtesy of John Legere:

"AT&T is trying to pull some straight up BS – showing a “5G”-ish indicator on the phone when it’s on LTE. They’ll basically be lying to their customers, and I and the rest of our team will continue to call them on it … and any other BS they try to pull. Oh, and if you want to talk about 4G and HSPA+, try checking in with the standards bodies that classified HSPA+ as 4G. Then, let’s talk."

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/2019-p...ons-legere-ceo

In the end I believe AT&T's recent consumer misleading move vindicates John Legere's argument that the T-Mobile / Sprint combination will be the ONLY US carrier with the appropriate spectrum portfolio to deliver REAL MOBILE 5G nationwide in the near term. This will be true until AT&T either buys more mid band spectrum or cannibalizes its current spectrum holdings via refarm efforts for NR.
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 01-07-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I brought up this topic in the AT&T forums a couple of weeks back. You can check it out here: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...th-5GE-in-2019

It's true I wasn't a fan of HSPA+ being called 4G initially but I believe the big difference is that the ITU approved HSPA+ to qualify for: "4G," while 5GE is straight-up-made-up-fake-it-to-you-make-it 5G. https://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa...ording-to-itu/

For the record T-Mobile offered its customers a fast HSPA+ 42 experience vs the slower HSPA + 21 implementation AT&T offered.
    Totally agree. The HSPA+ warranted the rating because it was plenty capable. What AT&T are doing with the 5G icon is pathetic!

Here are T-Mobile's comments on the situation courtesy of John Legere:

"AT&T is trying to pull some straight up BS – showing a “5G”-ish indicator on the phone when it’s on LTE. They’ll basically be lying to their customers, and I and the rest of our team will continue to call them on it … and any other BS they try to pull. Oh, and if you want to talk about 4G and HSPA+, try checking in with the standards bodies that classified HSPA+ as 4G. Then, let’s talk."

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/2019-p...ons-legere-ceo

In the end I believe AT&T's recent consumer misleading move vindicates John Legere's argument that the T-Mobile / Sprint combination will be the ONLY US carrier with the appropriate spectrum portfolio to deliver REAL MOBILE 5G nationwide in the near term. This will be true until AT&T either buys more mid band spectrum or cannibalizes its current spectrum holdings via refarm efforts for NR.
    Well said! I agree completely! Thanks for all of the good info on this topic.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

It's true I wasn't a fan of HSPA+ being called 4G initially but I believe the big difference is that the ITU approved HSPA+ to qualify for: "4G." For those of you who don't suffer from mobile amnesia the original WiMax and LTE networks that US carriers deployed didn't technically qualify to be labeled as 4G either and T-Mobile used that argument and won. https://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa...ording-to-itu/

5GE on the other hand is straight-up-made-up-fake-it-to-you-make-it 5G done for the sole purpose to mislead customers into thinking they are using a 5G network when they actually aren't. AT&T actually trademarked the 5G Evolution brand so nobody but them could mislead their customers with the service: https://trademarks.justia.com/872/87/5g-87287888.html
    that's "fake it 'til you make it"

Anyway, what's to prevent Joe's MVO from similarly trademarking 6G for the purpose of putting it on THEIR phones?

Remember 286, 386, 486? And then came...Pentium. This is the reverse of that. Regardless, business moves on. Businesses will do this. They will lie, cheat, and steal to increase shareholder value.

I've been AT&T-free for many many years now, and perfectly happy for it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To be fair here... T-Mobile called it’s HSPA+ “4G” in response to Sprint marketing WiMAX as 4G and the fact HSPA was faster... and yes, even AT&T’s HSPA+ at 21 mbps max was faster than WiMAX... so I’d say it was an equally fair use of it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T must think their customers are total morons to think their Non-5G capable phone is now magically capable of giving them 5G NR. AT&T has Advanced 4G LTE just like T-Mobile & Verizon. Not sure about Sprint but I think they have met the guidelines for Advanced 4G LTE by the governing bodies. Really AT&T should raise their prices since their customers think they now have 5G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    AT&T must think their customers are total morons to think their Non-5G capable phone is now magically capable of giving them 5G NR. AT&T has Advanced 4G LTE just like T-Mobile & Verizon. Not sure about Sprint but I think they have met the guidelines for Advanced 4G LTE by the governing bodies. Really AT&T should raise their prices since their customers think they now have 5G.
    99% are...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    To be fair here... T-Mobile called it’s HSPA+ “4G” in response to Sprint marketing WiMAX as 4G and the fact HSPA was faster... and yes, even AT&T’s HSPA+ at 21 mbps max was faster than WiMAX... so I’d say it was an equally fair use of it then.

Only problem with that is the Governing telcom bodies said HSPA+ was 4G.... So T-Mobile just did what the Governing telcom bodies allowed unlike AT&T that is just flat out lying about it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Only problem with that is the Governing telcom bodies said HSPA+ was 4G.... So T-Mobile just did what the Governing telcom bodies allowed unlike AT&T that is just flat out lying about it.
    That decision came after they began using the term when the ITU finally defined what 4G was, and called the new target IMT-Advanced. We have no way of telling if that will happen with this crap too, I do hope not though. I’m looking for consistent branding.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    That decision came after they began using the term when the ITU finally defined what 4G was, and called the new target IMT-Advanced. We have no way of telling if that will happen with this crap too, I do hope not though. I’m looking for consistent branding.

From what I've heard Verizon plans to use the moniker: 5G UWB on their devices unless they suddenly decide to shift direction. This of course will not fit right on phones with notches.

AT&T plans to use: 5G+ in areas where they actually deploy NR.

Might be a mixed bag. I agree that industry uniformity would be preferred.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From what I've heard Verizon plans to use the moniker: 5G UWB on their devices unless they suddenly decide to shift direction. This of course will not fit right on phones with notches.

They actually plan to use 5G when on NR and 5G+ when on mmWave.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T and Verizon are still looking at 5G NR over mmWave. I think that AT&T expects to have 5G NR is 19 additional cities in 2019 over what they have now with the fake 5G variation for home WISP service. Verizon has about the same plans. T-Mobile plans 5G NR in 2019 even without Sprint but with Sprint they can go bigger since Sprint is planing on putting their toe in the 5G waters.

T-Mobile hired a polling firm HarrisX to do a study of what customers wanted with 5G NR. What they found was in my opinion why AT&T wants to get a marketing advantage with putting that 5G indicator on their phones. ;

" Some 64% of Americans believe 5G technology will be widely available in the U.S. before 2020 according to a research study carried out by T-Mobile US and HarrisX.

The new 5G Consumer Index tracking 5G-related consumer attitudes is planned to be produced quarterly. The inaugural survey found that a large majority of Americans expect 5G to impact their personal lives, rural communities, the economy, business and government.

“Consumer sentiment around tech innovation and 5G in particular is widely positive, with big expectations for impact on job creation, business, and various facets of people’s personal lives like healthcare management in the near future,” said Dritan Nesho, chief researcher and CEO of HarrisX. “Expectations are high, with over 2 in 3 Americans believing 5G will become a reality by 2020, which will require significant investment by the public and private sector to get there.”

In the inaugural study’s findings, 57% of survey respondents said they are aware of 5G technology and, of those who are aware, 90% believe 5G will be better than 4G/LTE. Sixty-four percent of Americans who are aware of 5G expect that the technology will be “widely available” before 2020."

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most People don't know much about 5G NR other than they want it since it is faster.

This group thinks that AT&T display a “5GE” logo could result in AT&T passing Verizon in the total number of customers .

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Fake 5G isn't good for anyone

https://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...ke-5g-nonsense

During CES 2019, both Verizon and T-Mobile responded to AT&T's actions in very different ways.

Verizon issued a press release on January 7 titled, "When we say '5G', we mean 5G."

While Verizon never specifically calls out AT&T by name, it's pretty obvious that the whole release is in response to the company. Here's what the second paragraph says:

The potential for 5G is awesome, but the potential to over-hype and under-deliver on the 5G promise is a temptation that the wireless industry must resist. If network providers, equipment manufacturers, handset makers, app developers and others in the wireless ecosystem engage in behavior designed to purposefully confuse consumers, public officials and the investment community about what 5G really is, we risk alienating the very people we want most to join in developing and harnessing this exciting new technology.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast