Thread: Convert Legacy PAYG to monthly?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score

Convert Legacy PAYG to monthly?

We have an old PAYG Legacy plan with about $92 on it (and the lovely 5-days-on-a-charge Nokia candy bar phone . It was our second phone on the road while in the US, but the last couple of years we've hardly used it. It's really not competitive any more, and those $10 refills have brought the price to about 20c/min. We usually end up with cheap MVNO plans with the least data option, or use a Canadian phone for the initial road trip (roaming in US has become much cheaper than the old days).

So we're thinking of finally biting the bullet and converting the PAYG Legacy to the $40/10GB monthly plan and then walking away when the money's gone (not worth $3/mo for something we don't use). Might port the number to voip.ms or something since we've had it >10 years and a couple of relatives still call it when we're on vacation.

My questions are,

(1) are there any issues using the ancient SIM in a new smartphone? I know I'll have to punch it down from full size (mini) to nano but that's not an issue.

(2) how much is $40 going to be after fees and taxes (FL number)?

(3) are there any other prepaid plans with less data, beyond $50/unlimited, $40/10GB, $3/30min?

(4) my current expiry is Feb 7, am I right that goes away when I switch to monthly (IOW it will keep working into March even without refill, as long as I'm on monthly?),

(5) anything I've overlooked?

Thanks!
    =aw

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is the $10/month 2GB data only plan which doesn't allow voice or text. You could then transfer the phone number to a VOIP service and get calls using the data connection. T-Mobile is phasing out it's low cost options. You could probably sell the plan you have for more than the value you have on it.

The expiration of your plan is different from the expiration of funds you add to it. Have you considered calling T-Mobile and asking them to extend the expiration of the money you have added so you don't lose it?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I knew the Legacy plans were worth something in the past but didn't think there'd be much demand now. There's probably no way to sell the plan but keep the number, right? How much are Legacy plans worth?

Can I use the 2GB data only plan in a phone? I have a GV number and 4 voip.ms numbers already, normally the latter are forwarded to my real mobile but I could use one (or GV) with a softphone.

I hadn't asked about extension, we just put $10 on each year but we use <$10 each year, most years (I think we must have had one higher-use year since the balance was about $105 at one time). I was thinking that if I went to a monthly plan, they probably wouldn't continue counting Feb 7 as an expiry. We're hoping to do the trip before Feb 7. If I go with $40/10GB, am I likely to get 2 months out of $92?

Thanks again!
    =aw

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had an old Gold Rewards legacy line I no longer used with $200 on it, so I switched it to the $3/mo. plan to avoid having to throw another $10/year at it. fter a few months of this, I decided the $10 data-only plan would be a better use of the remaining credit and called customer service...

What a clusterf--k! T-Mo had no way of switching a prepaid voice line to a tablet/data line, and no way of moving credit between lines, so their eventually solution was to "make a note" of my balance, cancel the voice line, create a new line (with a new number, and I had to use a new SIM- thankfully I had a spare and didnt have to pony up $10-20 for a new one!) and then have a supervisor put my notated credit on the new account.

And after that, their stupid new backend never allowed me to log in online for account management. It took a week of support calls to get them to move my line to the legacy prepaid system so I could log in at my.t-mobile.com.

It's all good now, and it has worked in plenty of phones (answering your "can I use a data plan in a phone and use VoIP for voice" question), although I just finally moved it into an LTE tablet for the first time this past week.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011