Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Needs directions (How) to setup Google V as a primary Voicemail whilst being on Red P

Feedback Score

Needs directions (How) to setup Google V as a primary Voicemail whilst being on Red P

I have a Google Phone number setup but I want to integrate the Google Voice Voicemail feature to handle any voicemails I receive on my Red Pocket mobile number on an Android GSMA Red Pocket Network (Ebay).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by july11 View Post
    I have a Google Phone number setup but I want to integrate the Google Voice Voicemail feature to handle any voicemails I receive on my Red Pocket mobile number on an Android GSMA Red Pocket Network (Ebay).
    https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en
    Turn on Google voicemail for a phone
    This feature is not available for work or school accounts.
    1.On your computer, open Google Voice.
    2.At the top left, open Menu (hamburger) and then Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
    3.At the top right, open Settings (gear) and then Settings.
    4.Click the "Phones" tab.
    5.Under your forwarding phone, click Activate Google voicemail on this phone.
    6.Follow the instructions to turn on Google voicemail.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Boz1, that sets things up on the GV side, but since the OP is referring to calls made to his cell number (as opposed to his GV number), doesn't he have to do the routine with some kind of setup for conditional call forwarding (CCF) on his carrier handset, to forward to GV? (I've never done it as I don't have a need; have just read about it for years...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Boz1, that sets things up on the GV side, but since the OP is referring to calls made to his cell number (as opposed to his GV number), doesn't he have to do the routine with some kind of setup for conditional call forwarding (CCF) on his carrier handset, to forward to GV? (I've never done it as I don't have a need; have just read about it for years...)
    It's been quite a while since I set it up, but I thought that's what the following did:

5.Under your forwarding phone, click Activate Google voicemail on this phone.
    6.Follow the instructions to turn on Google voicemail.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Call Forwarding doesn't seem to work anymore on Red Pocket GSMA. It stopped working sometime last year for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @Boz1:

The only thing I can see that might possibly complete the circle is whatever is contained in #6 telling you to "follow the instructions...".

I can't see how simply doing anything at all with Settings from the GV end affects how a call made to a native cell number is initially routed away from carrier control over to GV. There is no data communication (OTT, using any potentially device-installed GV app) involved at this point; it's all cellular phone tech (whether LTE/IP or legacy digital cellular) at the beginning of a call.

You have to tell the incoming call to go to GV where it then starts to get handled by GV and the Settings contained therein. And that is done through CCF settings on the device specific to the native carrier. Which makes it possible to do all this without so much as a whiff of a smartphone or the GV app present.

Not that I'm inferring by what you've said that you think there's some function of an installed GV app on a smartphone that starts to handle this process; I'm just putting out there that I think it does not. And I don't think that has changed.

More on my take: The Settings you make for this in Legacy GV on the website are mainly to keep GV from enabling a call forwarding "loop" (if that's really possible) where calls made to the cell are meant to forward to GV when not answered, and get picked up by GV voicemail, but NOT forwarded back to the designated forwarded cell (or "linked number") as would typically happen with a call made directly to the GV number. And thus a potential loop. So GV let's you tell it how to handle it.

This has always been my understanding, but of course, I'm open to correction.

Feedback Score
    Tried but Gv didn't integrate as intended. I just hear a busy signal now and no voicemail. If I use another VM service besides Google everything works fine. So it's not the carrier or maybe my carrier doesn't support GV only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @Boz1:

The only thing I can see that might possibly complete the circle is whatever is contained in #6 telling you to "follow the instructions..."....
    The instructions from GV are to dial the code on the phone to enable call forwarding by your carrier to your GV number. That is all there is to the "special sauce".

The carriers frequently don't allow call forwarding on their MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The instructions from GV are to dial the code on the phone to enable call forwarding by your carrier to your GV number. That is all there is to the "special sauce".

The carriers frequently don't allow call forwarding on their MVNOs.
    Yes. That's what I was referring to.

Feedback Score
    It really surprises me that RP AT&T doesn't allow properly setting up CCF for GV. But now that it's been mentioned here, I seem to remember that this has been reported before.

I wonder if anyone ever found any kind of work-around for properly setting up CCF for GV on RP AT&T?

Feedback Score
    What I found out is dialing the code on the phone was apparently successful but still no GV voicemail integration. I followed the destructions above as best as I know.
    I tried an identical GV service using their code and I'm all setup with visual voicemail.
    I still want GV to work though.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The codes do not work for AT&T here in North Fla. for either post paid, prepaid, Cricket, or some other MVNO like Red Pocket or Tracfone.

These instructions are my experience with an android phone which is at least kitkat or newer - maybe for older too but it's been a long time since I've had an ICS phone, and I have no first hand experience with iPhones.

Tap the phone icon, which opens the dialer. Tap the three vertical dots and select "settings" from the menu. Scroll down to voicemail. Tap "voicemail settings". Change the voicemail number to your GV number. Make a note of the current VM number in case you want to switch back.

Go back to "call settings". Tap on "more settings". Tap "call forwarding". Change "forward when busy", "forward when unanswered", and "forward when unreachable" to your GV number. Do not mess with "Always Forward" unless you want all calls to be forced to GV and not ring on your phone. Again, make a note of the existing VM number in case you want to switch back.

This has always worked for me on AT&T MVNOs. I've had Red Pocket, Cricket, AT&T Prepaid, and Tracfone. It has never worked for any TMO MVNO, but apparently TMO does things differently.

This may or may not work for you. It seems as though AT&T has some variation from market to market based on how the legacy network was set up before being assimilated. I do not know how things are set up in your area.

Feedback Score
    All Noted . .. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    The codes do not work for AT&T here in North Fla. for either post paid, prepaid, Cricket, or some other MVNO like Red Pocket or Tracfone.

These instructions are my experience with an android phone which is at least kitkat or newer - maybe for older too but it's been a long time since I've had an ICS phone, and I have no first hand experience with iPhones.

Tap the phone icon, which opens the dialer. Tap the three vertical dots and select "settings" from the menu. Scroll down to voicemail. Tap "voicemail settings". Change the voicemail number to your GV number. Make a note of the current VM number in case you want to switch back.

Go back to "call settings". Tap on "more settings". Tap "call forwarding". Change "forward when busy", "forward when unanswered", and "forward when unreachable" to your GV number. Do not mess with "Always Forward" unless you want all calls to be forced to GV and not ring on your phone. Again, make a note of the existing VM number in case you want to switch back.

This has always worked for me on AT&T MVNOs. I've had Red Pocket, Cricket, AT&T Prepaid, and Tracfone. It has never worked for any TMO MVNO, but apparently TMO does things differently.

This may or may not work for you. It seems as though AT&T has some variation from market to market based on how the legacy network was set up before being assimilated. I do not know how things are set up in your area.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As noted in post #12, that's how I have one red pocket gsma account set up for use with gv vm. Works fine. I never used the * or # codes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by july11 View Post
    All Noted . .. Thanks
    Did this work for you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast