Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: CDMA SHUT DOWN - what will prepaid do?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have extra lines with other carriers, no problems for me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post Ntim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That 10X10 MHz of 850 spectrum is better put to use for LTE than keeping CDMA going. If band 2 and 4 are going to be useless in those areas just band 13 isn't going to be enough. Converting 850 to LTE would double the capacity
    Not that it matters in sparsely-populated, fringe signal areas. Trading useful signal for unusable doesn't help anybody, except for the few camped right under the station.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    Not that it matters in sparsely-populated, fringe signal areas. Trading useful signal for unusable doesn't help anybody, except for the few camped right under the station.
    1X uses spectrum in the 850 MHZ range. LTE band 5 uses.....wait for it......spectrum in the 850 MHz range. It's the same spectrum. it's being shut down. Accept it. You're like someone with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that thinks you're going to get cured instead of getting your affairs in order. Lets see if you show up back here in 225 days to admit you were wrong.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Actually the MVNO's have contracts with Verizon and I know of at least one that has an agreement that CDMA will be continuing next year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post Let's see what happens

1X uses spectrum in the 850 MHZ range. LTE band 5 uses.....wait for it......spectrum in the 850 MHz range. It's the same spectrum. it's being shut down.
    I am aware that Verizon's primary LTE bands use the same frequency as CDMA. The difference is that LTE is inherently more difficult to hang on to, (which you can see measured on your own device using free software) while you can maintain a "usable" CDMA connection with poorer signal.

You're like someone with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that thinks you're going to get cured instead of getting your affairs in order. Lets see if you show up back here in 225 days to admit you were wrong.
    I'll reiterate what I said earlier - I'm not saying that it isn't going to happen. I'm just saying that if the cancer kills the still-usable healthy CDMA for fringe areas, it'll be a bad day for a lot of folks who depend on that service.

Quote Originally Posted by raygerogiano View Post
    Actually the MVNO's have contracts with Verizon and I know of at least one that has an agreement that CDMA will be continuing next year.
    That's definitely refreshing news if it is true. Do you have any sources to cite for that information?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am aware that Verizon's primary LTE bands use the same frequency as CDMA. The difference is that LTE is inherently more difficult to hang on to, (which you can see measured on your own device using free software) while you can maintain a "usable" CDMA connection with poorer signal.
    Let me put it this way, currently band 13( 700 MHz ) then fall back if band 13 has issues is either band 2( 1900 MHz ) or band 4/66 ( 1700/2100 ) MHz. Not a good fall back position. Once 1x is retired and converted then you have band 13( 700 MHz ) then band 5( 850 MHz ) That's a much better fall back position. So non-CDMA calling should be improved regardless. Maybe we should wait until CDMA is shut down before we make declarations that an all LTE network is going to be inferior.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ...........Name:  naNEzNm.gif
Views: 323
Size:  3.51 MB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I'll reiterate what I said earlier - I'm not saying that it isn't going to happen. I'm just saying that if the cancer kills the still-usable healthy CDMA for fringe areas, it'll be a bad day for a lot of folks who depend on that service.
    I'm definitely in a rural fringe area, so totally disagree in my case. I had to change over to LTE (VoLTE) because my regular 1x CDMA could no longer hang on to a signal and dropped calls and continues to do so. I have solid reliable signals on LTE B13, 2 and 4. Usually likes 13 but will fluctuate between all 3 of those bands. Every area is different. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about CDMA vs LTE and "usability". In my truly fringe area LTE rules.

I have a great 3G/1x phone (MOTO G first gen.) For what it is(was), best phone I ever had. But time moves on. I once had cars with carburetors and ignition points.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

CDMA SHUT DOWN - what will prepaid do?

Last night I was on a cruise ship 45-60 miles south of the nearest cell site on Maui, Hawaii, getting 2 bars of Band 13 LTE with 6 Mbps download speed. LTE can work long distances once CDMA is shut down.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Doesn't the signal bounce off of the water making the range further?

We used to live on the south side of Lake Ontario and when I had my first phone if you were at the beach you would roam in Canada.
    Last edited by raygerogiano; 05-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post Time will tell, but I'd rather know for sure

Let me put it this way, currently band 13( 700 MHz ) then fall back if band 13 has issues is either band 2( 1900 MHz ) or band 4/66 ( 1700/2100 ) MHz. Not a good fall back position. Once 1x is retired and converted then you have band 13( 700 MHz ) then band 5( 850 MHz ) That's a much better fall back position. So non-CDMA calling should be improved regardless. Maybe we should wait until CDMA is shut down before we make declarations that an all LTE network is going to be inferior.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'm definitely in a rural fringe area, so totally disagree in my case. I had to change over to LTE (VoLTE) because my regular 1x CDMA could no longer hang on to a signal and dropped calls and continues to do so. I have solid reliable signals on LTE B13, 2 and 4. Usually likes 13 but will fluctuate between all 3 of those bands. Every area is different. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about CDMA vs LTE and "usability". In my truly fringe area LTE rules.

I have a great 3G/1x phone (MOTO G first gen.) For what it is(was), best phone I ever had. But time moves on. I once had cars with carburetors and ignition points.
    On one hand, I really hope that's the case. On the other, the "we can't know until we completely dismantle the CDMA network" attitude worries me. All I can say for sure is that I hope they do their homework with this one.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Last night I was on a cruise ship 45-60 miles south of the nearest cell site on Maui, Hawaii, getting 2 bars of Band 13 LTE with 6 Mbps download speed. LTE can work long distances once CDMA is shut down.

I was thinking that Cruise ships have Verizon Wireless service on board but a quick search shows it is only voice and not data with added fees over native wireless. I can’t comment on range aboard ships but LTE signals are generally shorter distance even at low frequencies than others. Using various different bands, one can pick up and transmit signals that travel around the world but wireless two way services generally have short ranges and requiring multiple antennas and tower handoffs.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cruise ships use satellites for cellular data/voice they do not rely on terrestrial towers for coverage while in international waters. The ships are mandated to turn off their satellite network within a certain distance from shore and then they will rely on the land-based towers, not at sea. Cellular at Sea is the name of their network and is partially owned by At&t.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Doesn't the signal bounce off of the water making the range further?

We used to live on the south side of Lake Ontario and when I had my first phone if you were at the beach you would roam in Canada.
    I don't think it has anything to do with bouncing off water. Just like TV signal over water it's just that there are zero obstructions and a flat surface. No hills or trees or buildings or anything to get in the way. I'm more surprised a phone can send a signal 60 miles than the tower could do it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Cruise ships use satellites for cellular data/voice they do not rely on terrestrial towers for coverage while in international waters. The ships are mandated to turn off their satellite network within a certain distance from shore and then they will rely on the land-based towers, not at sea. Cellular at Sea is the name of their network and is partially owned by At&t.
    I’ve been on Carnival cruises where Cellular at Sea is turned on at some distance from shore. This particular NCL cruise only sails between the Hawaiian islands and does not have ship-based cellular - probably because sailing is done primarily at night, and areas with no cell coverage are typically when most people are asleep.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast