Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: CDMA SHUT DOWN - what will prepaid do?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    What Verizon expand into new areas to eliminate roaming cost?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    If I remember correctly they did just buy out a small roaming partner and covert it to native coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    If I remember correctly they did just buy out a small roaming partner and covert it to native coverage.

who was it that was bought out

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    who was it that was bought out

I believe it was a roaming partner in Indiana… I’m having trouble finding the article about it.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I mean I guess it’s kinda their own fault for not replacing such old equipment. It’s prepaid so it’s basically an “at will” service. Verizon isn’t obligated to continue providing them service.
    Well it's obviously not that simple since many are probably elderly & have no clue this is coming. I also wonder how the various Verizon MVNO's will notify their users that they will need to obtain new phone's by this time next year? For instance my Father uses Verizon service through Straight Talk & he's been using the same LG Straight Talk flip phone since 2011. Obviously I will start urging him to get a different phone by summer 2019 at the latest but what about all the elderly people who may not have a family member or friend who knows about this deadline? I'm guessing (ok hoping) that Verizon might be working with the MVNO's to come up with a plan to make sure there is minimal impact to those that could potentially be left with a non working device.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Well it's obviously not that simple since many are probably elderly & have no clue this is coming. I also wonder how the various Verizon MVNO's will notify their users that they will need to obtain new phone's by this time next year? For instance my Father uses Verizon service through Straight Talk & he's been using the same LG Straight Talk flip phone since 2011. Obviously I will start urging him to get a different phone by summer 2019 at the latest but what about all the elderly people who may not have a family member or friend who knows about this deadline? I'm guessing (ok hoping) that Verizon might be working with the MVNO's to come up with a plan to make sure there is minimal impact to those that could potentially be left with a non working device.
    I’m guessing the strongest hold out will get a call, text, AND mail Notification that the change is coming. It prob wouldn’t be too painful for Verizon to mail some of their prepaid and postpaid customers a free basic LTE flip. Prob could lock it to their service too if need be. The MVNO will deff be a challenge but I feel like Verizon has a lot less then others.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wouldn't use a dumb phone as my primary cell phone (though I did put my "home" service onto a Nokia 3310 for nostalgia sake).

But for someone who doesn't want to bother with apps or texting, dumb phones do have 2 big advantages. They can last longer on battery than a smart phone. Also, reduced security risk.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I wouldn't use a dumb phone as my primary cell phone (though I did put my "home" service onto a Nokia 3310 for nostalgia sake).

But for someone who doesn't want to bother with apps or texting, dumb phones do have 2 big advantages. They can last longer on battery than a smart phone. Also, reduced security risk.
    I would argue a modern smart phone is much more secure than a flip phone with facial recognition like Face ID or touch ID systems. Flip phone anyone can take it and use it...never come across one locked.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would argue a modern smart phone is much more secure than a flip phone with facial recognition like Face ID or touch ID systems. Flip phone anyone can take it and use it...never come across one locked.

But less likely to be remotely exploited. A 3+year old cheap android phone is unlikely to be receiving updates anymore. Flagship phones are different case.

Smartphones with unpatched vulnerabilities may be exploited just going to a compromised website.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    But less likely to be remotely exploited. A 3+year old cheap android phone is unlikely to be receiving updates anymore. Flagship phones are different case.

Smartphones with unpatched vulnerabilities may be exploited just going to a compromised website.
    And sadly it’s usually the most vulnerable people that have these entry level smart phones. Iv seen so many people fall victim to gift card and pishing scam.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    At this point I believe 100% of Verizon towers have LTE on them. People seeing 1x are on the fringe of coverage or possible on a roaming partner ect ect.

Although I’m not familiar with coverage out west in the east I can say that for the most part the phone switches to 1x because it can, Not because it has too. I had one area that I drove through that my phone would always switch to 1x for a brief period but a friends phone which is LTE only never dropped a call or lost service in that area. That leads me to believe that my phone would switch to 1x because it could and not cause it had too.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Although I’m not familiar with coverage out west in the east I can say that for the most part the phone switches to 1x because it can, Not because it has too. I had one area that I drove through that my phone would always switch to 1x for a brief period but a friends phone which is LTE only never dropped a call or lost service in that area. That leads me to believe that my phone would switch to 1x because it could and not cause it had too.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Remember Verizon doesn’t have LTE to 1x fallback. This may be a good thing because it will force them to continue to densify.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Remember Verizon doesn’t have LTE to 1x fallback. This may be a good thing because it will force them to continue to densify.
    I think, at least around me...there is strong evidence that is exactly what it has forced them to do.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    They really should keep that sliver for 1x calls. There’s tons of CDMA coverage in the Midwest and parts of the west. It’s still heavily relied on.
    That negates the point of shutting down CDMA in the first place. That sliver only exist for m2m devices until there significant portion of that group that is using LTE devices. Also those devices use much less data than phone calls.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Well anyone upgrading to a new phone has no choice but to choose a LTE phone already

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    At this point I believe 100% of Verizon towers have LTE on them. People seeing 1x are on the fringe of coverage or possible on a roaming partner ect ect.

Yep every tower has LTE in fact 1/3 of towers have no CDMA at all.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast