Thread: Phone charging question, is fast charging really better? (volts, watts, amps)

Feedback Score

Phone charging question, is fast charging really better? (volts, watts, amps)

So I recently got a phone that allows for wireless charging and being a bit of a nerd I happen to have a device that plugs in between USB devices and shows the input/outputs in volt, amp, watt, and amp/hr.

I purchased a well reviewed wireless charger, and the QuickCharge 3.0 plug adapter it was said to need. However in playing around with an older non-quick charge (but higher wattage) plug in charger I noticed the following charging the phone.

First that the recommended phone placement from the charger company did NOT yield the fastest charging rates with either plug adapter.

Old Plug Adapter: 24 watt, 5v, 2 port, Anker
    New Plug Adapter: 18 watt, 12v max, Quick Charge 3, 1 port, Anker

Now for the interesting part, I was getting higher wattage draw with the older plug adapter. While it was only pushing ~5v it was pushing a much higher amperage. It was approaching 8 watts total. With the newer plug it was showing ~9v but pushing a much lower amperage, and around 6.5-7 watts. At least to my non-EE brain that says the 5v older plug charger was getting more energy to the phone. Now perhaps the charging is more efficient with higher voltages that offsets the difference but it was interesting and seems counterintuitive to me.

I thought perhaps it was something odd with the wireless charger, so I removed that from the loop and just used the iphone cord, same approximate delta, just different numbers.

I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to time the charging with both under similar drain. I just thought I'd pick everyone's brain to see if they had seem similar.

Device(s)
    LG100c
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
    So I recently got a phone that allows for wireless charging and being a bit of a nerd I happen to have a device that plugs in between USB devices and shows the input/outputs in volt, amp, watt, and amp/hr.

I purchased a well reviewed wireless charger, and the QuickCharge 3.0 plug adapter it was said to need. However in playing around with an older non-quick charge (but higher wattage) plug in charger I noticed the following charging the phone.

First that the recommended phone placement from the charger company did NOT yield the fastest charging rates with either plug adapter.

Old Plug Adapter: 24 watt, 5v, 2 port, Anker
    New Plug Adapter: 18 watt, 12v max, Quick Charge 3, 1 port, Anker

Now for the interesting part, I was getting higher wattage draw with the older plug adapter. While it was only pushing ~5v it was pushing a much higher amperage. It was approaching 8 watts total. With the newer plug it was showing ~9v but pushing a much lower amperage, and around 6.5-7 watts. At least to my non-EE brain that says the 5v older plug charger was getting more energy to the phone. Now perhaps the charging is more efficient with higher voltages that offsets the difference but it was interesting and seems counterintuitive to me.

I thought perhaps it was something odd with the wireless charger, so I removed that from the loop and just used the iphone cord, same approximate delta, just different numbers.

I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to time the charging with both under similar drain. I just thought I'd pick everyone's brain to see if they had seem similar.
    Faster charging is only better if you have to be somewhere with a full battery.

Drawohnimda

Feedback Score
    Hi there. As I know it is better to charge batteries with lower power but longer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The "pushing amps" measurement only applies if the phone has exactly the same state of charge in both measurements.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drawohnimda View Post
    Faster charging is only better if you have to be somewhere with a full battery.

Drawohnimda
    agreed. if you use fast charging option regularly then your battery's life will decrease significantly.s