Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile/Sprint End of Year Coverage Maps 12/30/2018

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    Why is that?
    Do you mean why am I not sure if I'm for the merger?

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    Why is that?
    T-Mobile will keep and utilize Sprint towers that add coverage and get rid of excess...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajet7 View Post
    T-Mobile will keep and utilize Sprint towers that add coverage and get rid of excess...

Yeah. From a coverage perspective it will be great. I'm just not sure if having less competition is s good thing. Part of it may be too though that I've known about Sprint longer than I've known about T-Mobile. It would kinda be weird to see the Sprint name go away. T-Mobile here is just commercials on TV. I'm not exactly sure about how they work as a service provider because all I ever get to see from them is my US Cellular roams onto their service. I have never really done business with them or personally know anybody who has done business with them. Part of me leans for the merger for stuff like the coverage gains. It seems like Sprint struggles in a lot of places. And T-Mobile won't admit it but they struggle in places too(such as where I live) but do seem to be somewhat more consistent in places that aren't where I live. But I just wonder if we will end up with super expensive prices. I just hope that doesn't happen because it seems to me like this merger might be passed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. From a coverage perspective it will be great. I'm just not sure if having less competition is s good thing. Part of it may be too though that I've known about Sprint longer than I've known about T-Mobile. It would kinda be weird to see the Sprint name go away. T-Mobile here is just commercials on TV. I'm not exactly sure about how they work as a service provider because all I ever get to see from them is my US Cellular roams onto their service. I have never really done business with them or personally know anybody who has done business with them. Part of me leans for the merger for stuff like the coverage gains. It seems like Sprint struggles in a lot of places. And T-Mobile won't admit it but they struggle in places too(such as where I live) but do seem to be somewhat more consistent in places that aren't where I live. But I just wonder if we will end up with super expensive prices. I just hope that doesn't happen because it seems to me like this merger might be passed.

Less competition is always a bad thing

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Less competition is always a bad thing

Yeah. That's what I'm mostly worried about.

Feedback Score

Yea, but you're not losing competition. You admitted TMobile doesn't have a presence right now in your market, but Sprint does. Also you said u.s. cellular does so you currently have 4 carriers in your market that provide service for you to choose from. If the merger is passed you'll still have 4 carriers in your market you can choose service from. This is the thing with the merger. It's really not reducing competition in many places. In the urban areas you can argue those markets are becoming over saturated. You have 4 main carriers and 20 different mvno's that run off of those carriers, so people have a ton of choices in those areas and it's oversaturated. To the point a lot of mvno's end up going out of business in a year or 2 because there are many other options out there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Yea, but you're not losing competition. You admitted TMobile doesn't have a presence right now in your market, but Sprint does. Also you said u.s. cellular does so you currently have 4 carriers in your market that provide service for you to choose from. If the merger is passed you'll still have 4 carriers in your market you can choose service from. This is the thing with the merger. It's really not reducing competition in many places. In the urban areas you can argue those markets are becoming over saturated. You have 4 main carriers and 20 different mvno's that run off of those carriers, so people have a ton of choices in those areas and it's oversaturated. To the point a lot of mvno's end up going out of business in a year or 2 because there are many other options out there.
    Yeah. I'm not technically losing competition due to the current lack of T-Mobile. But prices aren't really reflected by what we have in my town. The prices are reflected nationally, not regionally like the cost of some things. Most urban markets have service from the 4 big carriers so it is losing competition in those markets. I can say that oversaturation can be a problem. I think one of the main reasons T-Mobile doesn't have service here is because they never got a low band license until the 600 MHz auction. Without that license in my area, they seemingly didn't see a good reason to try and build out just on mid band. They did in the Charleston market(but only early last year) but it's a more urban market. I can drive about 20 minutes down the interstate to Mercer county or about 30 minutes to Greenbrier county where they have the 700 MHz license and get T-Mobile service. T-Mobile never got that band 12 license around here in Raleigh County because U.S. Cellular and AT&T got all of it. So yeah, oversaturation can be a problem. That could be one benefit is it makes them stronger because they can get more of their own spectrum. But that would probably lower the price gap at the same time. They will all just have to compete to basically provide the same thing. That would probably make all the carriers charging about the same for service. I'm hoping that if this whole thing goes out of control though maybe U.S. Cellular or somebody could do something crazy to try and better compete but it's not like they're the cheapest now and are in need of some technology updates in my area so that is wishful thinking.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I'm not technically losing competition due to the current lack of T-Mobile. But prices aren't really reflected by what we have in my town. The prices are reflected nationally, not regionally like the cost of some things. Most urban markets have service from the 4 big carriers so it is losing competition in those markets. I can say that oversaturation can be a problem. I think one of the main reasons T-Mobile doesn't have service here is because they never got a low band license until the 600 MHz auction. Without that license in my area, they seemingly didn't see a good reason to try and build out just on mid band. They did in the Charleston market(but only early last year) but it's a more urban market. I can drive about 20 minutes down the interstate to Mercer county or about 30 minutes to Greenbrier county where they have the 700 MHz license and get T-Mobile service. T-Mobile never got that band 12 license around here in Raleigh County because U.S. Cellular and AT&T got all of it. So yeah, oversaturation can be a problem. That could be one benefit is it makes them stronger because they can get more of their own spectrum. But that would probably lower the price gap at the same time. They will all just have to compete to basically provide the same thing. That would probably make all the carriers charging about the same for service. I'm hoping that if this whole thing goes out of control though maybe U.S. Cellular or somebody could do something crazy to try and better compete but it's not like they're the cheapest now and are in need of some technology updates in my area so that is wishful thinking.

There he goes

Feedback Score

It'll eventually lead to higher prices worse plans etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It'll eventually lead to higher prices worse plans etc.

Yeah. That's what I'm worried about. Generally, the less competition you have, the higher the prices go. Having 3 carriers on the same level isn't good because there is no smaller option to keep the others in check. The smaller option with lower prices would be attractive for people who that's all they need which would be the smaller option's way of making money while the others are there to provide service to people who want the more expensive service but have to keep competitive because if they are too high, less and less people would want the service because there would be less value and drive more people to the cheaper service.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. That's what I'm worried about. Generally, the less competition you have, the higher the prices go. Having 3 carriers on the same level isn't good because there is no smaller option to keep the others in check. The smaller option with lower prices would be attractive for people who that's all they need which would be the smaller option's way of making money while the others are there to provide service to people who want the more expensive service but have to keep competitive because if they are too high, less and less people would want the service because there would be less value and drive more people to the cheaper service.

Yeah, look at Canada's prices. Look at Comcast monopolies and duopolies

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, look at Canada's prices. Look at Comcast monopolies and duopolies

Yeah. I have heard Canada is bad. I don't have Comcast where I live. But Suddenlink basically has a monopoly on fast residential internet and they are pretty expensive. The bill seems to go up all the time and run you over $150 for your services(TV, internet, and a phone modem that hardly ever gets used) after all the promotional stuff fades away. You pretty much have to get it though if you want to have fast, reliable service. Other than Suddenlink it's either DSL(through Frontier), satellite, or cellular. None of which can really match the speeds they offer by a long shot. All monopolies do is make everything more expensive. Having less competition in the cellular space I would imagine would cause the same thing.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I have heard Canada is bad. I don't have Comcast where I live. But Suddenlink basically has a monopoly on fast residential internet and they are pretty expensive. The bill seems to go up all the time and run you over $150 for your services(TV, internet, and a phone modem that hardly ever gets used) after all the promotional stuff fades away. You pretty much have to get it though if you want to have fast, reliable service. Other than Suddenlink it's either DSL(through Frontier), satellite, or cellular. None of which can really match the speeds they offer by a long shot. All monopolies do is make everything more expensive. Having less competition in the cellular space I would imagine would cause the same thing.

Exactly

Feedback Score

This is under the assumption though that the national prices are kept where they are at because of Sprint. Not sure that's the case. Let's look at it this way, if service and features improve, but say there is a small increase in price, is that bad or good? Even with 3 dominate carriers you will still have competition. You can make the argument it will be more competitive because now all 3 can compete for the same customer. The thing with the cable industry is it's one company who sets the price in the area, and doesn't have to compete with anyone for that customer. That's not what is happening here. Now you have 3 carriers who will be on equal footing, all fighting for the same customer base. None of the 3 will want to lose any market share to the other. I can't say for sure prices won't rise, but price increases may have absolutely nothing to do with the merger as well. Who's to say even with Sprint separate, prices don't rise?

Feedback Score
    For me coverage/spectrum doesn't mean much, unless they build out more towers. I'd like to consider tmobile more, especially when they release their tv service... but despite technically having coverage here, there isn't enough buildout to make them viable for me. In my month of testing I averaged a smidge over 5Mbps. Thats just not going to cut it, especially for streaming. I'm also worried that when they merge, they'll shut down a bunch of 'redundant' sprint towers. Theres a lot of coverage overlap, but in some areas, sprint is a lot faster than tmobile (in my case actually)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast