Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Nextel stand alone was slick. Sprint turned into a steaming pile of

Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk
    Actually... Nextel had very little as far as a path forward, at least on iDEN, or even WiDEN.
    a) iDEN was Motorola licensed proprietary technology that NOBODY else used (hardware by .. Motorola, and licensed to Blackberry)
    b) Battery life SUCKED big time
    c) iDEN used the SMR band as a bunch of TDMA 'like' channels. It was efficient for PTT, but not so great for much else.
    d) Nextel's PTT worked efficiently with its trunking technology.. but never worked as well under CDMA/GSM/etc.
    e) No spectrum for useful data rates.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Actually...
    a) iDEN was Motorola licensed proprietary technology that NOBODY else used (hardware by .. Motorola, and licensed to Blackberry)
    Actually, Southern LINC used and still uses iDEN.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Splitting hairs.. But you're right. I should have stated that where iDen existed... there was only 1 carrier, and it did exist in other countries. Nextel dual iDen/GSM phones came out due to lack of international coverage and carriers.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    LOL, that makes their decision to go to CDMA even more baffling.
    Why is that? I think at the time, it was superior.

I couldn't speak with colleagues on AT&T (Cingular, or whatever it was) more than a few minutes before the call would drop. Verizon (NYNEX and then Bell Atlantic Mobile) was great. You could drive a long way before a call would drop.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Memories can play a trick on a person. First I remember hearing about Sprint was when they were advertising the hear a pin drop. I've learned today that the pin drop predated cellular
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Why is that? I think at the time, it was superior.

I couldn't speak with colleagues on AT&T (Cingular, or whatever it was) more than a few minutes before the call would drop. Verizon (NYNEX and then Bell Atlantic Mobile) was great. You could drive a long way before a call would drop.
    Somewhere in there didn’t they dial back cell phone power because of SAR.
    Before that Cell phones could reach a lot further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    What I remember about Sprint in the early 2000's was that every feature worked seamlessly assuming you were within the bounds their native 1x/EVDO coverage area. The same couldn't be said (at the time) about Verizon/Cingular who had a hodgepodge of legacy networks that didn't always play nice depending on which region of the country you were in.

Sprint was a pioneer in picture/video messaging and streaming media to the phone albeit a proprietary way that the rest of the industry didn't follow. Sprint also for a while had the coolest, sleekest looking phones courtesy of their partnership and early close ties to Samsung.

Around the time of the Nextel, "merger of equals," the Sprint vs. Verizon debates were heated here and many felt that Sprint was going to destroy Verizon because Sprint was going to have all of those high ARPU Nextel Business Customers and nationwide PTT network that (at the time) was the envy of the industry....
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    What I remember about Sprint in the early 2000's was that every feature worked seamlessly assuming you were within the bounds their native 1x/EVDO coverage area. The same couldn't be said (at the time) about Verizon/Cingular who had a hodgepodge of legacy networks that didn't always play nice depending on which region of the country you were in.

Sprint was a pioneer in picture/video messaging and streaming media to the phone albeit a proprietary way that the rest of the industry didn't follow. Sprint also for a while had the coolest, sleekest looking phones courtesy of their partnership and early close ties to Samsung.

Around the time of the Nextel, "merger of equals," the Sprint vs. Verizon debates were heated here and many felt that Sprint was going to destroy Verizon because Sprint was going to have all of those high ARPU Nextel Business Customers and nationwide PTT network that (at the time) was the envy of the industry....
    Verizon didn't exist. It was either NYNEX or Bell Atlantic Mobile if you were on the east coast. And I think Cingular and cellular one were the predecessor to AT&T, though I could be wrong.

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I saw this on a Sprint TV ad last night. It looks way overblown and no one has that much coverage in Maine to my knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And what does "Incremental" 4G LTE mean?

Name:  IMG_20190120_202348.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  26.1 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Verizon didn't exist. It was either NYNEX or Bell Atlantic Mobile if you were on the east coast. And I think Cingular and cellular one were the predecessor to AT&T, though I could be wrong.

Hokie: This is Danny you're talking to.

Verizon was formed in June of 2000.

I worked for Vodafone-Air-touch Cellular at the time when Verizon and Vodafone announced their joint venture to form Cellco Partnership dba Verizon Wireless back in 2001.

Remember Sprint didn't announce their intention to merge with Nextel to create the Sprint-Nextel Corporation until Dec. 15th 2004.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I worked for Vodafone-Air-touch Cellular at the time when Verizon and Vodafone announced their joint venture to form Cellco Partnership dba Verizon Wireless back in 2001.

Remember Sprint didn't announce their intention to merge with Nextel to create the Sprint-Nextel Corporation until Dec. 15th 2004.
    In my area PrimeCo became part of Verizon Wireless.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrimeCo

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    In my area PrimeCo became part of Verizon Wireless.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrimeCo

Same happened in my area.

I had primeco way back. Prob the worst cell experience I've ever had. Every few months the service would get cut even though bill was paid. They never could figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Same happened in my area.

I had primeco way back. Prob the worst cell experience I've ever had. Every few months the service would get cut even though bill was paid. They never could figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yeah I never used them. My cell history (primary devices only) was Cellular One>GTE mobilnet>Aerial>Sprint>Alltel>T-Mobile

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wow, it doesn't seem like that long ago. I felt like I had Bell Atlantic for a long time after NYNEX Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking the exact same thing, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast