Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 106

Thread: T-Mobile/Sprint End of Year Coverage Maps 12/30/2018

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Of course Sprint-Softbank will have to decide what to do if the sale to T-Mo does not go through. The history of Sprint's toxic mess of a company before agreeing to be bought by T-Mo includes: Sprint tried to buy T-Mo, Softbank tried to sell Sprint to a couple of cable companies, Softbank approached Warren Buffet to see if he was interested in a deal. All of these failed. T-Mo was the only interested buyer.

    Finding another buyer is possible. So is my winning the lottery with odds of 500,000,000 to 1. Verizon and AT&T have spent about $10 billion a year each for the past decade. That leads me to guess that $50 to $100 billion is what it would take to build the Sprint network to a state where they could be competitive with the other three. Potential investors would have to believe that they could produce return on investment that is better than other uses of their funds. The cell service market is becoming saturated. The ROI is likely not there.

    Sprint could continue limping along as they are and see how long they can survive. This is not what Sprint's owners want.

    Sprint being bought by Verizon or AT&T is very unlikely. The govt. would not allow it.
    If the merger doesn't go through Sprint will need to partner with someone/anyone who is willing to invest in them long term. They have all the spectrum they will ever need they need cash - that leaves Dish out of the equation. As you say even if they wanted to AT&T & Verizon are off the table for sure.

    So who has the cash and wants a national network that could be great if their CAPEX went through the roof? Cable co's have been testing the waters for a long time but I just can't see it - they don't want to pony up imo. Could CenturyLink get back into wireless? No.

    There is really no opposition to the merger and no viable alternative for Sprint to thrive so as soon as the FCC is back up and running I think it'll be approved and Tmobile will start using band 41 immediately for data and start shifting Sprint users who have capable phones over to Magenta.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,919
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    ...They have all the spectrum they will ever need they need cash -.....
    The problem is that their spectrum is unbalanced. They have generally inadequate (or barely adequate) mid-band licenses combined with wildly excessive high-band licenses. This is one reason that Sprint's download speeds are pretty poor in many suburban/exurban environments and yet can be fantastic in cities.
    Donald Newcomb

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
    On the drive north, it switched between US Cellular LTE and AT&T 3G a lot. On the drive south, I stopped in Morgantown and used the carrier selection screen to lock it to US Cellular and it seemed to keep the signal just fine until I switched it back to Automatic when I was close to entering VA -- I was only really paying attention when trying to hit play for the next episode of the podcast I was listening to, so it might still have dropped some.
    Hmm. That's weird. I wouldn't really be surprised if it dropped some. There are a few places on that drive where even the CDMA barely reaches. Also I didn't think USCC had coverage in the Weston area. T-Mobile covers part of that area I think because of the lack of USCC in that town. I cant really ever lock my phone to the LTE signal only because if I do I can't make or receive calls. I would say they should still build some towers though before giving us VOLTE. They seemed to just give it to T-Mobile customers probably because they know they'd receive a lot of complaints about call quality with the current state of their network. It's neat to know you guys have it though.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The problem is that their spectrum is unbalanced. They have generally inadequate (or barely adequate) mid-band licenses combined with wildly excessive high-band licenses. This is one reason that Sprint's download speeds are pretty poor in many suburban/exurban environments and yet can be fantastic in cities.
    You're right of course and they have never had the cash to take advantage of the hi band spectrum. They've been crippled for years by bad management and as a result cash flow has suffered.

    It rarely gets talked about but as late as Sprint was to the game how could they have even chosen CDMA as a network topology? Then of course the decision to spurn Alltel was bad enough but to merge with Nextel instead? Everyone knows all that I just have to repeat it out loud sometimes for myself because it's all so unbelievable.

    That's why the merger is exciting. T mobile is well managed and they have access to a Capex budget that will take all that band 41 and make it generate cash.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,459
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    It rarely gets talked about but as late as Sprint was to the game how could they have even chosen CDMA as a network topology? Then of course the decision to spurn Alltel was bad enough but to merge with Nextel instead? Everyone knows all that I just have to repeat it out loud sometimes for myself because it's all so unbelievable.
    Sprint wasn't technically late to the game. In fact, some times they were too far ahead, but had poor execution.
    1. They originally started off as GSM in the Washington DC area (good for global roaming - ahead of everyone else... nobody was using GSM in the US at the time)
    2. They switched to CDMA which helped, then bought Nextel which was an albatross on iDEN, including the first responders issues on SMR band.
    3. Anyone remember WiMAX... primarily done because they HAD to use it or lose it with the spectrum, if I recall.
    4. Softbank... has done little, as has the Sprint network since. It has relied for too long on old partnerships with Verizon and small rural carriers for roaming.

    Personally... USCC, Alltel and Sprint could have made for a decent company - if Sprint wasn't bleeding so much.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Sprint wasn't technically late to the game. In fact, some times they were too far ahead, but had poor execution.
    1. They originally started off as GSM in the Washington DC area (good for global roaming - ahead of everyone else... nobody was using GSM in the US at the time)
    2. They switched to CDMA which helped, then bought Nextel which was an albatross on iDEN, including the first responders issues on SMR band.
    3. Anyone remember WiMAX... primarily done because they HAD to use it or lose it with the spectrum, if I recall.
    4. Softbank... has done little, as has the Sprint network since. It has relied for too long on old partnerships with Verizon and small rural carriers for roaming.

    Personally... USCC, Alltel and Sprint could have made for a decent company - if Sprint wasn't bleeding so much.
    Sprint buying up all the 1900ghz spectrum as Sprint PCS and launching nationally about 10 years after analog cell service started was always what I understood to be the beginning of Sprint in wireless.

    I never heard of them having a local DC operation at all. Have a link to that?

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,165
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Sprint buying up all the 1900ghz spectrum as Sprint PCS and launching nationally about 10 years after analog cell service started was always what I understood to be the beginning of Sprint in wireless.

    I never heard of them having a local DC operation at all. Have a link to that?
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/19991101...network-in-d-c
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-wahsington-dc
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,919
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    ....I never heard of them having a local DC operation at all. Have a link to that?
    It was called Sprint Spectrum. I bought a used Sprint branded Ericsson 388 GSM phone as one of my first digital phones.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    LOL, that makes their decision to go to CDMA even more baffling. I guess they didn't like what they saw and shut it down. Probably the same engineers who said they would easily integrate Nextel and that Wimax was viable.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    164
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Plus (64GB),Galaxy S9 (64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon(E-Sim)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Name:  sprintceomissesyou.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  17.9 KB

    And who remembers this guy. The one person who started Sprint's spiral downward.
    Sim-Locked phones just flat out suck!

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    1,623
    Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stridr69 View Post
    Name:  sprintceomissesyou.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  17.9 KB

    And who remembers this guy. The one person who started Sprint's spiral downward.
    IMO the piss poor decision to buy Nextel was their first circle around the drain.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,459
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    LOL, that makes their decision to go to CDMA even more baffling. I guess they didn't like what they saw and shut it down. Probably the same engineers who said they would easily integrate Nextel and that Wimax was viable.
    GSM at that time was 'unAmerican', as CDMA was the big push by Qualcomm. At&t started its GSM network back in 2001/2002 and was horrible (I had a Moto Timeport) but audio was stellar (efr codec). Part of the issue was no GSM 850 gear.... Period. Pacbell Wireless was GSM 1900 from day 1 and was good. Its issue was lack of spectrum. The iPhone was a death blow to CDMA in general.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    164
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Plus (64GB),Galaxy S9 (64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon(E-Sim)
    Feedback Score
    0
    That too! PTT was pretty cool back in the day. Even Big Red gave it a shot.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    1,623
    Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stridr69 View Post
    That too! PTT was pretty cool back in the day. Even Big Red gave it a shot.
    Nextel stand alone was slick. Sprint turned into a steaming pile of


    Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    164
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Plus (64GB),Galaxy S9 (64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon(E-Sim)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Amen to that!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 03:57 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2015, 01:08 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
  4. Nextel's patent up at end of year?
    By DJmegatron in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 09:33 AM
  5. Unannounced: 9 new phones by end of year!!!
    By FoneAhead in forum AT&T
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2002, 05:57 PM

Bookmarks