Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile/Sprint End of Year Coverage Maps 12/30/2018

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    All you write is true, and much, much, much more. Mick is just pulling our leg to generate contraversy. He's too knowledgeable in other aspects of the industry not to be aware of what you write.

I've read somewhere it might be worth more broken up. What u think?
    It's what he does..he loves argument but the mods seem to favor him as they scolded me for calling him out on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Chapter 11 didn’t save Radio Shack. Sprint purchasers the majority of Radio Shacks in the court ordered liquidations sale. Another blunder. T-Mobile is buying Sprint for only $26 billion. Sprint owes much more than $26 billion. Sprint is done with out this merger.
    Cant compare radio shack to sprint. Brick and mortar retail on a whole is dying. The DOJ is on record saying the facts dont line up with the merge or die theory. Tmobile isnt buying Sprint outright, its a merger deal with softbank still holding a minority stake in company, this is why it was a better option for Sprint, Softbank can get a return faster. Better option though doesnt mean only option. I agree with most things you say, but this one i disagree on, i think Sprint would have a future without the merger. What we can agree on with it though is it wont get that far, the merger will likely get approved pretty easily.
    Last edited by mick_mandingo; 01-05-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Personal commentary about each other has no place here. Some of you need to chill out.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Cant compare radio shack to sprint. Brick and mortar retail on a whole is dying. The DOJ is on record saying the facts dont line up with the merge or die theory. Tmobile isnt buying Sprint outright, its a merger deal with softbank still holding a minority stake in company, this is why it was a better option for Sprint, Softbank can get a return faster. Better option though doesnt mean only option. I agree with most things you say, but this one i disagree on, i think Sprint would have a future without the merger. What we can agree on with it though is it wont get that far, the merger will likely get approved pretty easily.
    In reality it doesn't make any difference as long as the new company or whatever doesn't fail, as whether the bank is a lender or stock holder, everyone will get their money, per the contract. If the merger or whatever it is, helps make Tm a better carrier, then more power to it. Hopefully it will. We'll see, but for some reason 4 carriers sounds better than 3, but Sprint,imo, has been gone for a while, and their service is so bad, they can't even give it away.

Feedback Score
    In reality it doesn't make any difference as long as the new company or whatever doesn't fail, as whether the bank is a lender or stock holder, everyone will get their money, per the contract.
    what?
    If the merger or whatever it is, helps make Tm a better carrier, then more power to it.
    Of course it will.

their service is so bad, they can't even give it away.
    Cant be true. They made 8.4 billion last quarter in revenue. The quarter before they made 8.1 billion, the year before they made 7.9 billion, so somebody is paying for service, not only that, they are increasing revenue meaning more people are paying them. Which Tmobile will gladly take that 8 bil a quarter.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    what?

Of course it will.

Cant be true. They made 8.4 billion last quarter in revenue. The quarter before they made 8.1 billion, the year before they made 7.9 billion, so somebody is paying for service, not only that, they are increasing revenue meaning more people are paying them. Which Tmobile will gladly take that 8 bil a quarter.
    Not arguing, just observing and yes the income statement surprisingly reflects a profit, for the last year only I believe, whatever, but a profit based on overall smaller gross revenue. I believe you're confusing revenue with income, but never the less, your statement is true.

The mystery to me is how they did this, since typically with some inflation in almost every category especially wages, my guess is they've closed some non profitable stores and associated employees, but I don't really know and don't have the curiousity to look into why. But they were showing significant losses in years prior.

Feedback Score
    Not arguing, just observing and yes the income statement surprisingly reflects a profit, for the last year only I believe, whatever, but a profit based on overall smaller gross revenue. I believe you're confusing revenue with income, but never the less, your statement is true.

The mystery to me is how they did this, since typically with some inflation in almost every category especially wages, my guess is they've closed some non profitable stores and associated employees, but I don't really know and don't have the curiousity to look into why. But they were showing significant losses in years prior.
    Im not confusing anything. You stated Sprint cant even give their service away for free. Revenue would be where you would look to see if that is indeed true. Lots of things influence profit, but if you are claiming nobody is paying for their service, this would be proven or disproven by looking at revenue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. I just dont see how there is no way to save Sprint. It's a possibility though.
    It is not important if we armchair analysts believe Sprint can be saved. Softbank has made it clear that they want out of their investment in Sprint. Anyone who believes that we can do a better job of plotting Sprint's future than the owners with all of the financial information and teams of financial analysts is ... (fill in the blank).

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is pretty good. About the best you can get here actually in terms of square miles covered. The densification can be a bit lacking in places though which I think may be caused by phones wanting to stay on the higher frequency signals instead of switching to low band but I'm not sure. In my town they operate on 10 MHz band 4, 15 MHz band 2, and 5 MHz band 12 for LTE. They also seem to run HSPA+ on band 5 but I'm not sure about any other bands. Verizon is actually not that great in my area often relying on US Cellular for 1x roaming in places outside of town. I would even call Sprint better than Verizon here. They also only operate on band 13 10 MHz for LTE and PCS for CDMA in my town. They don't have too many customers here I don't think though so the towers shouldn't be overloaded. They are pretty decent from my experience in the northwest part of WV though where they have the 850 MHz license instead of US Cellular. I would say the merger would definitely improve T-Mobile coverage here and give them more spectrum. I'm still not sure if I'm all for it though.

HoFo mobile app

West Virginia is a state that T-Mobile is just now trying to service. First USCC owns Band 12 in most of the state and not T-Mobile. T-Mobile's Band 2/4 are not ideal for West Virginia's mountainous and rolling hills. Then West Virginia has national radio quiet zone that my friend that has a ski cabin near Snowshoe it is against the law to have cell service at his cabin. The National Radio Quiet Zone is a large area of land in the United States designated as a radio quiet zone, in which radio transmissions are heavily restricted by law to facilitate scientific research and military intelligence.

Name:  NRQZ.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  51.5 KB

Now that T-Mobile has 600 Mhz they have deployed some small areas of Band 71 near Morgantown. Without this Sub-1 Ghz band 71 spectrum since T-Mobile doesn't own Band 12 it was not economical for T-Mobile to provide coverage in many areas of that state. Band 71 is now the best solution spectrum for T-Mobile in West Virginia but will be heavily restricted near Snowshoe near the Green Bank Observatory Radio Telescope.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is not important if we armchair analysts believe Sprint can be saved. Softbank has made it clear that they want out of their investment in Sprint. Anyone who believes that we can do a better job of plotting Sprint's future than the owners with all of the financial information and teams of financial analysts is ... (fill in the blank).
    Yeah. I’d say that SoftBank wants out of this. I’m sure if this doesn’t go through they’d turn around and try someone else probably. I would honestly rather it be T-Mobile than Verizon or AT&T probably.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    West Virginia is a state that T-Mobile is just now trying to service. First USCC owns Band 12 in most of the state and not T-Mobile. T-Mobile's Band 2/4 are not ideal for West Virginia's mountainous and rolling hills. Then West Virginia has national radio quiet zone that my friend that has a ski cabin near Snowshoe it is against the law to have cell service at his cabin. The National Radio Quiet Zone is a large area of land in the United States designated as a radio quiet zone, in which radio transmissions are heavily restricted by law to facilitate scientific research and military intelligence.

Name:  NRQZ.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  51.5 KB

Now that T-Mobile has 600 Mhz they have deployed some small areas of Band 71 near Morgantown. Without this Sub-1 Ghz band 71 spectrum since T-Mobile doesn't own Band 12 it was not economical for T-Mobile to provide coverage in many areas of that state. Band 71 is now the best solution spectrum for T-Mobile in West Virginia but will be heavily restricted near Snowshoe near the Green Bank Observatory Radio Telescope.
    Yeah. USCC getting that band 12 seemed to really hurt the buildout. In WV it would be very hard to use just midband. I am kinda surprised they haven’t already got more band 71 towers put up here. The National Radio Quiet Zone really only affects cell phone signals very much in the area within a pretty small radius of Green Bank. By the time you get back to the bigger roads and towns cell signals are pretty much unrestricted and you can have full power towers because none of it could make it to the “Silent Zone” which is an even smaller radius where these rules really apply for this kind of stuff more. The big “Quiet Zone” really only applies to lower frequency stuff like radio and TV stations which I think combat it by setting antennas in that direction on a lower power. What little bit does matter like Snowshoe I’d imagine is not at the top of T-Mobile's to do list because as of now AT&T is the only provider that works there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Good summation.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I’d say that SoftBank wants out of this. I’m sure if this doesn’t go through they’d turn around and try someone else probably. I would honestly rather it be T-Mobile than Verizon or AT&T probably.
    Of course Sprint-Softbank will have to decide what to do if the sale to T-Mo does not go through. The history of Sprint's toxic mess of a company before agreeing to be bought by T-Mo includes: Sprint tried to buy T-Mo, Softbank tried to sell Sprint to a couple of cable companies, Softbank approached Warren Buffet to see if he was interested in a deal. All of these failed. T-Mo was the only interested buyer.

Finding another buyer is possible. So is my winning the lottery with odds of 500,000,000 to 1. Verizon and AT&T have spent about $10 billion a year each for the past decade. That leads me to guess that $50 to $100 billion is what it would take to build the Sprint network to a state where they could be competitive with the other three. Potential investors would have to believe that they could produce return on investment that is better than other uses of their funds. The cell service market is becoming saturated. The ROI is likely not there.

Sprint could continue limping along as they are and see how long they can survive. This is not what Sprint's owners want.

Sprint being bought by Verizon or AT&T is very unlikely. The govt. would not allow it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. I’d say they probably wouldn’t approve of AT&T or Verizon buying them. It would make the buyer too big. Not that there’s really any good reasons they should need them to begin with. I guess I’d rather it go to T-Mobile who at least knows what they’re doing instead of some cable company. I have no desire to have Charter Cellular or something like that which would probably try and shove something else down your throat like an overpriced internet TV package or something where cable would seem like a better deal.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. Something must've been up. I think it's funny they give you all the VOLTE roaming but I don't get it natively as a USCC customer. Did your phone lose USCC LTE a lot?

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    On the drive north, it switched between US Cellular LTE and AT&T 3G a lot. On the drive south, I stopped in Morgantown and used the carrier selection screen to lock it to US Cellular and it seemed to keep the signal just fine until I switched it back to Automatic when I was close to entering VA -- I was only really paying attention when trying to hit play for the next episode of the podcast I was listening to, so it might still have dropped some.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast