Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Taiwan isn't (and is) China

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    ROC was formed in 1911, it predates the PROC. ROC was run by KMT. ROC was China for a while until Chiang lost the war with Mao. KMT retreated to Taiwan. Along, Chiang took the people, the treasures from the Imperial Museum and gold to Taiwan. Today, most of the people in Taiwan, ROC are descendants of these Chinese that followed Chiang. People in ROC and PROC shares the same culture, language and so many things. The relationship between ROC and PROC are similar to East and West Germany (yesteryear) or North and South Korea (now).
    The constitution of ROC still talks about unification of one China. Many years ago, ROC was still trying to go back to China and liberate it. However, due to the strengthening of PROC in economic and military powers, ROC does not mention this effort again.
    ROC and PROC are separated due to political ideas. Taiwan being the smaller piece, so calling it a breakaway would be appropriate. I guess I could say China is a breakaway of Taiwan but is there a difference?
    When the constitution of ROC talks about unification, it means the both ROC and PROC were separated.
    True, today, ROC and PROC are run by two governments. Taiwan is not a Nation. There is no such thing as Taiwan ethnicity.
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Republic of China

Internet is your friend. A quick Google found these pictures from Wikipedia. This is the front cover of Republic of China passport.

Here is a picture of the Request page

Here is the words in English
    The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of China requests all whom it may concern to permit the national of the Republic of China named herein to pass freely and in case of need to give all possible aid and protection.

Other countries might or might not recognized Taiwan as an independent country but Taiwan, ROC officially claims that her nationals as national of the Republic of China, not national of Taiwan.

Feedback Score
    ACurrie, you said "and by the likes of Air Canada and Marriott Hotels bowing to mainland pressure and listing Taiwanese destinations as part of the PRC. But make no mistake"

The web site for Marriott Hotels clearly distinguishes the nations of eastern Asia. I am not sure where they bowed, but not on the hotel search map: it shows Taiwan as a country, same as Philippines, Cambodia, and Indonesia. There is an entirely separate designation for China's many provinces like Hainan. The separate texts lists for hotels in each country in Asia also list China as being separate from the Taiwan listings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chompx2 View Post
    IOther countries might or might not recognized Taiwan as an independent country but Taiwan, ROC officially claims that her nationals as national of the Republic of China, not national of Taiwan.
    That example clearly shows the sovereign nation of Taiwan conducting its own affairs in this important matter, and they are using the designation "ROC", which is in fact, its right to do so.

Feedback Score
    Taiwan is not a Nation. There is no such thing as Taiwan ethnicity.
    The USA is a nation, as numerous others... as this matter really has nothing to do with ethnicity. In fact, it isn't that common that a nation perfectly lines up with an ethnic group. Pretty hard to find, in fact.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    That example clearly shows the sovereign nation of Taiwan conducting its own affairs in this important matter, and they are using the designation "ROC", which is in fact, its right to do so.
    ROC is the name of the country. To avoid confusion between ROC and PROC, people just use Taiwan and China. The use of Taiwan is more of a convenience.
    If I am not mistaken, the constitution of ROC still addresses one China and unification.
    Oh, I read some Taiwanese consider themselves as Japanese as they were rule by Japan previously. Some even have Japanese names given to them by the ruling Japanese long time ago. The father of the current President was working for the Japanese, servicing military airplane during WW2.
    Education in Taiwan has removed most of the reference on China since DPP came into power. No wonder that most younger generations from Taiwan is so against admitting that they are Chinese. Sun Yat-sen is considered by those as a foreigner.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    The USA is a nation, as numerous others... as this matter really has nothing to do with ethnicity. In fact, it isn't that common that a nation perfectly lines up with an ethnic group. Pretty hard to find, in fact.
    Taiwan is not a Nation. There is no such thing as Taiwan ethnicity.
    These are two sentences. See the Full Stop?

Taiwan is not a Nation. That is obviously debatable as we do not agree.

There is no such thing as Taiwan ethnicity.
    This is a correct statement.

You are correct that US is a Nation and have nothing to do with ethnicity.

BTW there is an Indian Nation in America. This is the indigenous people that were here when Columbus landed in American and mistakenly think he landed in India.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Having visited both places numerous times in the past 31 years, China had become much more like Taiwan, highly capitalistic. Taiwan still has a big advantage in terms of food, and of course in boba.

Sent from my LGMP450 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Trying to assume it's role as a sovereign nation...
    Since most nation-states only recognize PRC/Beijing as the only legitimate successor to the Republic of China (post 1949).
    Only 16 or so countries recognize ROC/Taipei and these are mainly small and not so politically influential countries.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Oh, I read some Taiwanese consider themselves as Japanese as they were rule by Japan previously. Some even have Japanese names given to them by the ruling Japanese long time ago. The father of the current President was working for the Japanese, servicing military airplane during WW2.
    Not going to fly in Japan...
    Even the Issei who left the Home Islands aren't considered Japanese....
    I doubt the father did this willingly...

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Having visited both places numerous times in the past 31 years, China had become much more like Taiwan, highly capitalistic. Taiwan still has a big advantage in terms of food, and of course in boba.

My first visit to China was in 1987 on a temporary company assignment. In those days, I was briefed and debriefed by the company security before and after the trip. I have since visited China often. In the last 15 years, I visited yearly. China has major changes since the first time I visited. Taiwan is also one of my favorite places to visit. I do have to agree with you on the Taiwanese food. I especially like to stroll at the night markets. I love the dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Taipei. Although there are Dim Tai Fung in Los Angeles and in Hong Kong, the one in Taipei still is the best. The food prices in Taiwan is very reasonable too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My first visit to China was in 1987 on a temporary company assignment. In those days, I was briefed and debriefed by the company security before and after the trip. I have since visited China often. In the last 15 years, I visited yearly. China has major changes since the first time I visited. Taiwan is also one of my favorite places to visit. I do have to agree with you on the Taiwanese food. I especially like to stroll at the night markets. I love the dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Taipei. Although there are Dim Tai Fung in Los Angeles and in Hong Kong, the one in Taipei still is the best. The food prices in Taiwan is very reasonable too.
    I've been to Din Tai Fung in Taipei and in Shanghai. There's one in San Jose now, but I haven't been there as I try to stay away from the mall that it is located in. I can walk to a place with 小笼包 xiao long bao almost as good as Din Tai Fung, called XLB (xiao long bao) Kitchen.

Yes, the night markets in Taipei are awesome.

I also first visited China in 1987, on a vacation (a cycling tour). It has changed so much since then. I am really glad that I went there before it became so westernized. I went there a lot for work as well, as a semiconductor applications engineer, after that (including one trip where I went for only 1 day!) to visit companies that we sold parts to (including a lot of trips to Lenovo, which used to be called Legend.

I last went there in September 2018, visiting one of my city's "friendship cities," west of Shanghai, since I serve on our City Council (and now serve as mayor). Gave a speech to 500 people, visited an electric car factory, a fiberglass factory, one other factory, and an "Internet Hospital."

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    I've been to Din Tai Fung in Taipei and in Shanghai. There's one in San Jose now, but I haven't been there as I try to stay away from the mall that it is located in. I can walk to a place with 小笼包 xiao long bao almost as good as Din Tai Fung, called XLB (xiao long bao) Kitchen......."
    There are a few Din Tai Fung within striking distance from me. However, the first one here in So Cal is the best. That is the one in Arcadia. Stay away from the ones that are opened in the Malls. These cater to the Western folks. When the waiters and waitresses are non-Chinese and the menu is in English, stay away. I went to Din Tai Fung in Glendale and it was not that good.

I was in Shanghai twice for a total of 3 months in 1987. It was a really enjoying trip for me as my family is Australian Chinese and related to the Sincere and The Sun Companies. The Sun Company was no longer there but the building is still there. It is the No. One Department Store now if I am not mistaken. I took a day off and walked along Nanjing Road all the way to the Bund. I also stopped by the Peace Hotel.

I used to visit various Friendship Stores and Curio Shops. I almost bought some items from there. In those years, these art objects have export licenses and can be taken out of China. Some of these would probably worth tens if not hundred times now.
    Name:  The Sun.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  124.1 KB
    Last edited by chompx2; 01-13-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are a few Din Tai Fung within striking distance from me. However, the first one here in So Cal is the best. That is the one in Arcadia. Stay away from the ones that are opened in the Malls. These cater to the Western folks. When the waiters and waitresses are non-Chinese and the menu is in English, stay away. I went to Din Tai Fung in Glendale and it was not that good.

I was in Shanghai twice for a total of 3 months in 1987. It was a really enjoying trip for me as my family is Australian Chinese and related to the Sincere and The Sun Companies. The Sun Company was no longer there but the building is still there. It is the No. One Department Store now if I am not mistaken. I took a day off and walked along Nanjing Road all the way to the Bund. I also stopped by the Peace Hotel.

I used to visit various Friendship Stores and Curio Shops. I almost bought some items from there. In those years, these art objects have export licenses and can be taken out of China. Some of these would probably worth tens if not hundred times now.
    Name:  The Sun.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  124.1 KB
    I won't eat at a Chinese restaurant if more than 10% of the customers inside are white.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    I've been to Din Tai Fung in Taipei and in Shanghai....
    It dawned on me while Din Tai Fung is famous for its Xiao Long Bao, Xiao Long Bao is not a Taiwanese Food. It came from Jiangnan area, in China. Shanghai is one of the biggest cities in that area. It is ironic that Din Tai Fung from Taipei to open up a restaurant in Shanghai serving Xiao Long Bao.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast