Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Speeds are great in Minneapolis

Device(s)
    Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Speeds are great in Minneapolis

Live downtown Minneapolis and the speeds are pretty solid here. I am using a Note 9 with LTE-A (LTE+). I am also told that T Mobile service in Minnesota in general is some of the best in the country. I know in the outskirts of major cities they are adding Band 71 coverage and in the city we have mainly 2, 4 and 12 just about everywhere.

I had Cricket before this and was struggling just about everywhere to get any sort of decent speeds, most of the time I would be at 1mb up/down and sometimes I would hit 5mb but rarely.
    Spongebob: Squidward just told me a hilarious joke and I thought you might like to hear it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    Cricket Wireless referral

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    As they say, "your results may vary". I'm in Sevierville TN, at the busiest intersection in this tourist area(Gatlinburg, TN) at a Walgreens. I had fair service driving in, but at my current location, the service is so poor, I cannot access the internet or get a speed test reading. Fortunately, my cricket service while not 5 bars, is working, which is what I was scanning Howard's with.

Another aside, my vzw backup service was off for over 12 hours last Tuesday (I believe) and again for a couple of hours on either wed or Thursday. I guess none of them are perfect. And since you've had both carriers, could you continue to post your reception results, especially if you travel anywhere. Report good and bad. Have a great Christmas.

Device(s)
    Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I was an hour north yesterday up in Isanti, MN and coverage is solid there also but that is also a small town.

So far the worst coverage was inside Surly Brewing last night where I got one bar but did get service to show a youtube video.

I might try Mint Mobile now I snagged a sim on that $20 for three months of service deal which is hard to beat at 5gb of data a month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I was an hour north yesterday up in Isanti, MN and coverage is solid there also but that is also a small town.

So far the worst coverage was inside Surly Brewing last night where I got one bar but did get service to show a youtube video.

I might try Mint Mobile now I snagged a sim on that $20 for three months of service deal which is hard to beat at 5gb of data a month.
    Did you check your coverage along your route and was it interstate or what. If your a low volumn data user have you checked out either red pocket(who offers all 4 networks) or US Mobile who offers tm and vzw At pretty good rates with low use data.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I'm just outside of Minneapolis and have good coverage and speeds just about everywhere I go, except inside my local Target store. Heading outstate, I've gotten solid LTE at least 2 hours west, right up until the rolling glacial hills of the western part of the state.

Before I was with Metro I used Sprint/Virgin Mobile and had solid coverage with them too. Minnesota really is a good place to be a cell phone user - all networks are strong and have good coverage here.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Live downtown Minneapolis and the speeds are pretty solid here. I am using a Note 9 with LTE-A (LTE+). I am also told that T Mobile service in Minnesota in general is some of the best in the country. I know in the outskirts of major cities they are adding Band 71 coverage and in the city we have mainly 2, 4 and 12 just about everywhere.

I had Cricket before this and was struggling just about everywhere to get any sort of decent speeds, most of the time I would be at 1mb up/down and sometimes I would hit 5mb but rarely.
    Bear in mind that Cricket caps its data speeds at 3-8 Mbps depending on plan, so you were never going to get great speeds from them. It's nice that Metro doesn't have the same kind of policies to hamper its customers' experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    Bear in mind that Cricket caps its data speeds at 3-8 Mbps depending on plan, so you were never going to get great speeds from them. It's nice that Metro doesn't have the same kind of policies to hamper its customers' experience.
    Not fully correct. Crickets 60 plan has no speed cap.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Not fully correct. Crickets 60 plan has no speed cap.

Thanks for the correction. I missed that when reading their policies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I missed that when reading their policies.
    Yeah, they switched it a few months ago. Used to be capped at 8mbps on the 60 plan but removed that cap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Jmo and experiences. I currently have both metro and cricket (3Kb) and have repeatedly done load time comparisons with both services, ie, loading the same url with each Device, simultaneously
    and assuming a good signal on each Device, there is virtually no difference. Occasionally one will be a second faster or slower, but neither has a consistent advantage or disadvantage. Again IMO, the only advantage with metro/Tm is either the ability/or the apparent requirement to post endless speed test screen shots. There are also a few posts indicating the users disgusts with either no or virtually no do speeds too. As long as it works for your needs though, who cares.

To further bore you, I picked up this idea some months ago, as I was then using a note 4, and erroneously feeling I be was missing out on the newer, improved, exaggeratedly more expensive newer models.

You tube, I discovered, has hundreds of various comparisons of virtually every aspect of cellular from handsets, networks, plans, carrier evaluation. They will drive you crazy with info.

But I learned several things
    1) There is no major performance difference in not only the currently available budget devices and the again highly over priced flagship phones.

2) flagship devices from the last few years, performance wise are virtually the same, precluding high memory tasks which most of us don't do.

3) This same info source guided me to metro and their highly discounted both budget and medium range handsets and if course to metro

4) I've learned on my own that for my area of usage cricket has far superior, more reliable coverage, however where metro has a signal, it works too, but they're lots of unnecessary coverage gaps

4) Like all of you, I've experienced network issues with every carrier (my vzw b/u service was out for over 12 hours last week for two consecutive days, cricket was out for many hours a couple of years ago, not really that much trouble with metro, yet). Backup phones and networks are very handy.

Moral of story, don't waste hundreds of dollars on overrated and way overpriced handsets and take advantage of the current great priced plans from the carrier that does what you need.

Device(s)
    Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I'd say that depends more on the handset.

A One Plus 6T would do just as well as my Note 9. However I use the pen, I take my meeting notes with this device. I like the look of the device and the screen/size also.

Metro on LTE is far faster everywhere I have been compared to Cricket so far. I loved Cricket service, my wife is on it and so is my mother. Wife has an iPhone that has Wifi Calling and VoLTE so does my mother. Both are very happy with their service.

I am the black sheep on metro with the speeds, its worth it to me. 10gb of data for $40 is perfect I paid $35 for 5gb on Cricket ...

I am noticing those speeds compared to Cricket, it just lagged all the time trying to show a friend a Youtube video or loading a webpage. Now its almost instant and actually enjoy being on LTE and not wondering what is the next wifi spot I can hit.

Feedback Score
    Disagree with the budget phone is as good as a flagship. A phone with 2gb of ram does not perform the same as a phone with 4 or more. A s.d. 450 is not the same chipset as a s.d. 845. There are major differences in performance. Whether or not those performance increases are worth the extra cost is entirely up to the user. This is also neglecting other things the higher end chips can do that lower end chips are not capable of. Better image processing is one. 3 or 4 channel c.a. with 4x4 mimo is another. Those things matter to some people.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Disagree with the budget phone is as good as a flagship. A phone with 2gb of ram does not perform the same as a phone with 4 or more. A s.d. 450 is not the same chipset as a s.d. 845. There are major differences in performance. Whether or not those performance increases are worth the extra cost is entirely up to the user. This is also neglecting other things the higher end chips can do that lower end chips are not capable of. Better image processing is one. 3 or 4 channel c.a. with 4x4 mimo is another. Those things matter to some people.
    Agreed,but is it a $1000 or more dollars better, and additionally the latest flagship is not that much improved over last years model, which is available now for less than half outs selling price.And as i mentioned, this has been true for then last 3-4-5 years. The good and bad news is these flagship phones aren't selling as well as formerly, they've Already been discounted to dune extent, and in either case they'll depreciate to roughly half their msrp in a half a year anyway.

The above opinion is not news as there are numerous articles reflecting this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Agreed,but is it a $1000 or more dollars better, and additionally the latest flagship is not that much improved over last years model, which is available now for less than half outs selling price.And as i mentioned, this has been true for then last 3-4-5 years. The good and bad news is these flagship phones aren't selling as well as formerly, they've Already been discounted to dune extent, and in either case they'll depreciate to roughly half their msrp in a half a year anyway.

The above opinion is not news as there are numerous articles reflecting this.
    Whether its $1000 or more better is entirely up to the person buying it. Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I look at it this way, if i was paying for gig speed wifi, i wouldnt use a modem only capable of 20mbps down on it. Sales are down across the board for all devices. Not only flasgships. This is mainly due to the upgrade period increasing. Carriers are even starting to do 36 month financing now. Depreciation happens across the board with tech generally. It's due to tech becoming outdated in a relatively short span. Laptops and tablets suffer the same fate. The only products who generally keep a high resale value are apple and Mac products and digital cameras. You are also confusing 2 different things, prices generally drop on flagship phones due to carriers eating some of the cost of the device to offer port in, add a line, or upgrade specials. This isn't the same as a manufacturer discounting a device, as it is the carrier who is absorbing some of the cost of the device to entice you to use them.
    Last edited by mick_mandingo; 12-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    Definitely below tmobile, metropcs gets .5mbps at home while tmobile gets 12 to 17mbps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast