Thread: Looking for Specific Model

Feedback Score

Looking for Specific Model

Hey everyone. While I've never been into phone collecting as a hobby, about three years ago I found an picture of a particular cell phone on an image board that's always caught my eye.

Name:  8972345.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  16.3 KB

Forgive me for the low res image as it's the only image of the phone I have. I've tried image searching on and off over the years through Google, Yandex, and other search engines but haven't been able to find the source of the picture. From looking at the phone itself, it looks to be made by NTT Docomo from the blurry logo under the screen. While I've tried messing around with Docomo cell phone model names I've never been able to find the exact one in the picture. It looks close to an F01-e or an F04-d; both nice phones but neither catch my eye like the one in the picture. Most Docomo phones of similar build seem to have a circular center button rather than a square, the hinge seems to be made of one more piece (there's a split down the middle not found in other models), and the phone in question seems to be made of a matte plastic as opposed to smooth.

I've had no luck on finding the phone on my own but recently discovered this forum while resuming the search again. Hopefully somebody here who knows more than I do will recognize the model or have a better time searching than I have.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, this is an NTT Docomo phone. No doubt about that.

I don't think this is a Fujitsu phone because the 4-directional pad on their phones has the MENU button (written in two lines) in the top left corner, whereas this one has it bottom left and in a single line. The same applies for the right-hand side buttons. Fujitsu phones have their i-mode button bottom right. Also the left/right directions on the 4-directional pad on Fujitsu phones have different symbols.

I think you should try Nec and Kyocera phones. Maybe also Panasonic. Not Sony because Sony wouldn't miss the chance to slap their logo somewhere there.

It's not a Sharp phone either. They have very few phones with a square 4-directional pad.

Judging by the Bluetooth logo bottom left, I'd say this model came out between 2007 and 2009 because that's roughly the period Bluetooth was a novelty on Japanese keitai. Also, in April 2008 NTT Docomo announced changing their logo to the rounded letters design but I don't think it went into effect the same year. So, I'd say Winter 2008/2009 is the last collection this phone could be part of. Or maybe, just maybe the Summer 2009 one.

This is also the period when screens got slightly bigger – this looks like a 3.4 or at least a 3.2-inch screen, as opposed to the 2.4–2.6-inch screens on 2006 and earlier models.

I am pretty sure this is a swivel phone (you can rotate the display 180 degrees, the close it over the keypad to switch to camera mode), which would explain the four-piece hinge.

I think this is a very good (probably the best) place to start looking: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOMA
    Few of the Wikipedia articles have photos, so you'll need to copy the model number and search Google, but you'll probably find it in an hour or two.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help. You hit the nail on the head with Panasonic and the time frame. It ended up being the P906i. I had expected it to be a swivel based on the hinge but not in the way it actually turned out to be. It's honestly really charming and I'm really happy with what this phone ended up being overall. Again, thanks for the help.

Name:  FOMA_P906i_001.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  33.7 KB

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatteFujitsu View Post
    Thanks for the help. You hit the nail on the head with Panasonic and the time frame. It ended up being the P906i. I had expected it to be a swivel based on the hinge but not in the way it actually turned out to be. It's honestly really charming and I'm really happy with what this phone ended up being overall. Again, thanks for the help.
    Happy to have helped