Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81

Thread: T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,549
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I wonder about the long term viability of live TV in an age of on-demand programming.

    Local news and sports seem to be keeping it alive, but it’s also on the decline.
    Live TV is definitely less of a thing than it used to be, but it remains somewhat psychologically compelling depending on the content. I DVR some stuff and never find the enthusiasm to look at it. I tend to watch a lot of news/commentary. Watching that later isn't news, it's olds.

    The top 10 shows in total 2018 viewership are:

    https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/31/top-50-...017-18-season/

    The Big Bang Theory (18.4 million)
    NBC NFL Sunday Football (18.2 million)
    Roseanne (17.6 million)
    This is Us (17.4 million)
    NCIS (16.7 million)
    Young Sheldon (16.0 million)
    The Good Doctor (15.6 million)
    Bull (14.5 million)
    CBS Thursday Football (14.2 million)
    NBC Thursday Football (13.5 million)

    What does that say about the aggregate taste of the populace? I don't watch any of the top ten.

    What they are selling is eyes on commercials. T-Mo should get a piece of the action if they can make a profit at it. More competition in the market will be better for us as well. That's part of the beauty of a free market economy - win, win.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,591
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't think that is correct. I can buy T-Mo Layer3TV right now to be delivered over my cable Internet through their set top box completely independent of any other T-Mo service. Why would they discontinue that rather than just adding WISP as another line of service - probably with a bundling discount to make it more attractive.

    Maybe you didnh't mean it that way.
    That is not what I was saying. Both T-Mobile WISP service and the new version of Layer 3 that will someday support streaming just like Hulu, Prime, Sling and others do now. The current Layer 3 is technically a cable company now that uses internet streaming for the last mile service to your home. Both T-Mobile WISP and the future TV service will be sold separately. The WISP replaces your ISP but will work with Hulu, Prime, Sling, YouTube TV and others. The future T-Mobile TV service will be a separate service that could work with any ISP. Now T- Mobile could bundle both WISP and the future TV streaming service for a lower price together.

    The other part I was talking about my LG HDTV doesn’t need a OTT device like Roku or Firestick for a few streaming TV channel like Hulu, Prime, And Netflix. I have a Chromecast device plug-in but I rarely use it since the LG HDTV apps are easy to use.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-29-2018 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,764
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

    Of those top 50, I watched one show on the list and paid for it on demand on Amazon.

    It feels like I watch plenty of TV though, but most evenings I don’t watch any. Maybe 2 or 3 hours on a weekend. I buy and terminate subscriptions to watch particular shows. e.g. I am watching Counterpart on Starz and will cancel when Season 2 is over.

    I would hate to see T-mobile squander money on a dying market. I would rather they invest in their wireless network. Just look at Verizon’s recent attempts to enter the media industry for examples.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Of those top 50, I watched one show on the list and paid for it on demand on Amazon.

    It feels like I watch plenty of TV though, but most evenings I don’t watch any. Maybe 2 or 3 hours on a weekend. I buy and terminate subscriptions to watch particular shows. e.g. I am watching Counterpart on Starz and will cancel when Season 2 is over.

    I would hate to see T-mobile squander money on a dying market. I would rather they invest in their wireless network. Just look at Verizon’s recent attempts to enter the media industry for examples.
    TV viewership habits have changed drastically also. There is no more sitting down on a Friday night, turning on a single channel and watching from prime time through the late night talk shows anymore. People watch shows now instead of networks, and major channels have their own streaming services, Hulu even streams new shoes the next day. There is no TGIF type programming that drew people to a channel for a whole night.

    I do agree with the last comment, especially with learning from Verizon. I know John has recently ripped Verizon for Oath, and one of his predictions is Verizon selling off Oath and taking a huge loss. He is likely correct, this likely will happen. If he isn't careful though layer3 can turn into that. I understand it's his thing to bash the competition at every stupid mistake they make, and they give him plenty of ammunition, but layer3 isn't up and running yet, and there is no guarantee it will be a major success for him once it is. Learn from what Verizon and even At&t do wrong with their media mistakes.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,764
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    TV viewership habits have changed drastically also. There is no more sitting down on a Friday night, turning on a single channel and watching from prime time through the late night talk shows anymore. People watch shows now instead of networks, and major channels have their own streaming services, Hulu even streams new shoes the next day. There is no TGIF type programming that drew people to a channel for a whole night.

    ...
    I have no idea how people would get enough time for this lifestyle on weekdays between working a full day, commuting, assorted must do household/family stuff, and getting enough sleep.

    I am in my 50s. My parents, in their 80s now, had TV going most of the time. They would, however, switch between networks for different shows, and would go to sleep before the late night talk shows.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I have no idea how people would get enough time for this lifestyle on weekdays between working a full day, commuting, assorted must do household/family stuff, and getting enough sleep.

    I am in my 50s. My parents, in their 80s now, had TV going most of the time. They would, however, switch between networks for different shows.
    This was even a thing into the 90's. ABC had their TGIF lineup on Friday nights. Shows like full house, perfect strangers, Webster, Sabrina the teenage witch, boy meets world, step by step, 2 guys and a girl. NBC had their famous Thursday night lineup they deemed "Must See TV" that originally in the 80s was the Cosby show, family ties and cheers and in the 90s turned into friends, Frasier, will and grace and Seinfeld. Don't really see programming strategies like that anymore, people just tend to watch the shows they like, walking dead, big bang theory, game of thrones etc. and then off to something else.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,885
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The future T-Mobile TV service will be a separate service that could work with any ISP.
    I've seen no mention that it would work with any ISP. The main feature of T-Mobile TV in fact is that it wouldn't need an ISP. They can just deliver the video content directly to a 5G radio in the set top box.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,764
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    This was even a thing into the 90's. ABC had their TGIF lineup on Friday nights. Shows like full house, perfect strangers, Webster, Sabrina the teenage witch, boy meets world, step by step, 2 guys and a girl. NBC had their famous Thursday night lineup they deemed "Must See TV" that originally in the 80s was the Cosby show, family ties and cheers and in the 90s turned into friends, Frasier, will and grace and Seinfeld. Don't really see programming strategies like that anymore, people just tend to watch the shows they like, walking dead, big bang theory, game of thrones etc. and then off to something else.
    I vaguely remember these lineups. I had cable through most of the 90s, but didn’t watch that much TV. Perhaps 1-2 hours per week. It has always been about particular shows for me. I am probably not the typical 50-something though.
    Last edited by mch; 12-28-2018 at 08:40 PM.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    152
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I have no idea how people would get enough time for this lifestyle on weekdays between working a full day, commuting, assorted must do household/family stuff, and getting enough sleep.

    I am in my 50s. My parents, in their 80s now, had TV going most of the time. They would, however, switch between networks for different shows, and would go to sleep before the late night talk shows.
    Same. There is too much to watch and not enough time. I watch 2-3 hours of TV at night and after that my body is telling me go to bed.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,965
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has there been any talk of a streaming app on phones and tablets? That right there would be a great way to break into the market. It'll complete with DtvNow head on, and can be carrier neutral. Tmus can also start bundling it with their mobile service like T and VZW. Att's new unlimited plans offer 35 channels plus your choice of one premium. My grandfathered unlimited plan offers unlimited HBO viewing. Vzw and fios customers get a $20 credit. I see tmus doing the exact same thing.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,591
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I've seen no mention that it would work with any ISP. The main feature of T-Mobile TV in fact is that it wouldn't need an ISP. They can just deliver the video content directly to a 5G radio in the set top box.
    Layer 3 requires internet now for the last mile connection. The plan you talked about could also be a option for bundled WISP and T-Mobile TV. Since T-Mobile is the Un-Carrier, I just don’t see John requiring a house hold to purchase Cell phone service, WISP and TV service. I am sure they will have a bundled version for all three services.

    T-Mobile plans is to become the 4th largest ISP provider in the USA that covers 52% of the zip codes by 2024. WISP has the potential to be the biggest revenue prouduct at T-Mobile even over their Cell service revenue. The T-Mobile TV streaming has way too much competition for it to ever become a major TV streaming service. WISP And ISP has little competition in home broadband. T-Mobile with Sprint spectrum has the ability to cover areas that AT&T and Verizon plus the cable companies don’t cover especially in rural areas.

    T-Mobil provides details about 5G WISP.

    Ok just found the article I was thinking about stand alone products.

    “Interestingly, Sievert hinted that New T-Mobile’s in-home internet service would stand separately from its mobile offerings. In his statement to the FCC, Sievert said that “New T-Mobile will also enable consumers to use their mobile services as a substitute for in-home broadband. T-Mobile has estimated that 5.8 million households will use their New T-Mobile 5G mobile services for all their broadband needs (whether in-home or mobile) by 2021 and a total of 6.3 million households by 2024.””. T-Mobile plan home internet
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-29-2018 at 12:11 PM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Layer 3 requires internet now for the last mile connection. The plan you talked about could also be a option for bundled WISP and T-Mobile TV. Since T-Mobile is the Un-Carrier, I just don’t see John requiring a house hold to purchase Cell phone service, WISP and TV service. I am sure they will have a bundled version for all three services.

    T-Mobile plans is to become the 4th largest ISP provider in the USA that covers 52% of the zip codes by 2024. WISP has the potential to be the biggest revenue prouduct at T-Mobile even over their Cell service revenue. The T-Mobile TV streaming has way too much competition for it to ever become a major TV streaming service. WISP And ISP has little competition in home broadband. T-Mobile with Sprint spectrum has the ability to cover areas that AT&T and Verizon plus the cable companies don’t cover especially in rural areas.

    T-Mobil provides details about 5G WISP.

    Ok just found the article I was thinking about stand alone products.

    “Interestingly, Sievert hinted that New T-Mobile’s in-home internet service would stand separately from its mobile offerings. In his statement to the FCC, Sievert said that “New T-Mobile will also enable consumers to use their mobile services as a substitute for in-home broadband. T-Mobile has estimated that 5.8 million households will use their New T-Mobile 5G mobile services for all their broadband needs (whether in-home or mobile) by 2021 and a total of 6.3 million households by 2024.””. T-Mobile plan home internet
    Yeah, which does indicate it will be a slow roll out for their home internet options, which is understandable but does hamper layer3 a bit with what they intend to do with it. By comparison Verizon FiOS with it's very limited availability has almost 5 million internet subs right now. From the numbers they are using I'd expect a very limited market by market roll out with TMobile and their home internet for a bit.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,591
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Yeah, which does indicate it will be a slow roll out for their home internet options, which is understandable but does hamper layer3 a bit with what they intend to do with it. By comparison Verizon FiOS with it's very limited availability has almost 5 million internet subs right now. From the numbers they are using I'd expect a very limited market by market roll out with TMobile and their home internet for a bit.

    5 G is a slow roll for every network.

    “AT&T has not yet launched the 12 mobile 5G markets targeted for 2018, but with only one month left in the year, the carrier today announced plan to add 19 additional AT&T 5G cities in 2019.”

    Layer 3 revenue is so small it isn’t significant. Layer 3 is being used to help get the merger approved. T-Mobile 5G WISP service will not be a major revenue stream product until 2021 providing the Merger is approved.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    5 G is a slow roll for every network.

    “AT&T has not yet launched the 12 mobile 5G markets targeted for 2018, but with only one month left in the year, the carrier today announced plan to add 19 additional AT&T 5G cities in 2019.”

    Layer 3 revenue is so small it isn’t significant. Layer 3 is being used to help get the merger approved. T-Mobile 5G WISP service will not be a major revenue stream product until 2021 providing the Merger is approved.
    Yeah but not sure if the home broadband rollout will coincide with the 5g rollout. TMobile has touted mobile 5g and has only laid out vague plans for a 5g home internet service. So it seems they will launch their mobile 5g services first, then do select markets of home internet service. I think they plan to cover more than 5 million by 2021 with 5g so the numbers they are using seem to indicate the 2 won't coincide with each other and will be offered at different intervals.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,591
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Yeah but not sure if the home broadband rollout will coincide with the 5g rollout. TMobile has touted mobile 5g and has only laid out vague plans for a 5g home internet service. So it seems they will launch their mobile 5g services first, then do select markets of home internet service. I think they plan to cover more than 5 million by 2021 with 5g so the numbers they are using seem to indicate the 2 won't coincide with each other and will be offered at different intervals.
    What can T-Mobile say until they know if the merger with Sprint is approved? Without the merger there won't me a major T-Mobile WISP service. T-Mobile doesn't have the spectrum without Sprint for a WISP network that is significant. Without the merger both T-Mobile and Sprint will have some 5G network spectrum for mobile cell phone use only.

    "Sep 12, 2018: Sprint remains on track to commercially launch mobile 5G services in nine markets early next year. Those initial markets include New York City; Phoenix; Kansas City, Kansas; Atlanta; Chicago; Dallas and Houston, Texas; Los Angeles; and Washington, D.C.

    Saw said that Sprint plans to use around 60 megahertz of its 2.5 GHz spectrum to support those 5G services. He noted that the 2.5 GHz spectrum band provides better coverage from the same cell site than the mmWave bands being used by Verizon and AT&T.
    Sprint sweet on 5G"

    So Sprint has 60 Mhz of bandwidth of Band 41 set to go about the time we expect the merger to be completed. That is un-used spectrum that can be retasked in months for the new T-Mobile services including some for 5G. If the merger is approved it would be a waste of money adding 5G to Sprint's network that is being shut down. The new T-Mobile will take that 60 Mhz of Band 41 that will help move customers faster to T-Mobile and free up more of Sprint's massive spectrum.

    Until the merger is approved or disapproved neigher company can make real plans for 5G other than token statements that are subject to change based on the merger results.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-29-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 10:27 AM
  2. Bell Is Bell offering/planning to offer unlocking?
    By jamsandwich in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 02:01 AM
  3. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
  4. So what is SE going to unveil in October this year?
    By hojbjerg in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 03:55 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 08:08 PM

Bookmarks