Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a smartphone using tracfone prepaid service

Feedback Score

Looking for a smartphone using tracfone prepaid service

So been looking to upgrade to a smartphone using a prepaid service. I am not a big phone user, don't do much texting or browse the web, at least not at the moment. Thought about going to a monthly service but I don't think I can justify that, don't use it enough.

I have been looking at tracfone bundles on HSN and want to find out what network they use. Here are 2 I was looking at.

https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...ta-and/8936726

https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-62-h...mintex/8817623

Now I don't need the latest and greatest but also don't want something that will be slow or constantly have issues with it. Now there is one feature I would like to have and it's the reason I picked those 2 above and that is the radio. Those are the only 2 that come with a radio. Or is that not needed and I would be better off using iheartradio or something like that?

I don't plan on adding that many apps, really all I can think of is a flashlight and maybe something like iheartradio.

I want a reliable network. I am having issues with my current tracfone, which is a ZTE Z233VL flip phone. Right now, it doesn't want to stay on even on a full charge. Turn it on and either a few seconds or a few minutes later, it will shut off. And when it did work, anytime I would call someone, they could not hear me too good, cutting in and out real bad. But I am thinking that is an issue with the phone itself and not the network. I never really did care for the phone that much at all

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/12492253

Motorola g6 for $126 on Tracfone

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 12-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-LG-Rebe...t.E232595.html

Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    So been looking to upgrade to a smartphone using a prepaid service. I am not a big phone user, don't do much texting or browse the web, at least not at the moment. Thought about going to a monthly service but I don't think I can justify that, don't use it enough.

I have been looking at tracfone bundles on HSN and want to find out what network they use. Here are 2 I was looking at.

https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-62-h...mintex/8817623

Now I don't need the latest and greatest but also don't want something that will be slow or constantly have issues with it. Now there is one feature I would like to have and it's the reason I picked those 2 above and that is the radio. Those are the only 2 that come with a radio. Or is that not needed and I would be better off using iheartradio or something like that?

I don't plan on adding that many apps, really all I can think of is a flashlight and maybe something like iheartradio.

I want a reliable network. I am having issues with my current tracfone, which is a ZTE Z233VL flip phone. Right now, it doesn't want to stay on even on a full charge. Turn it on and either a few seconds or a few minutes later, it will shut off. And when it did work, anytime I would call someone, they could not hear me too good, cutting in and out real bad. But I am thinking that is an issue with the phone itself and not the network. I never really did care for the phone that much at all

Feedback Score
    I am not a big phone user, don't do much texting or browse the web, at least not at the moment.
    What is your current usage? Depending on your actual usage, it might be better/cheaper to buy the phone separately and then get Red Pocket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFUN View Post
    What is your current usage? Depending on your actual usage, it might be better/cheaper to buy the phone separately and then get Red Pocket
    Don't really know my exact usage but it's not much. Each time I need to renew service days, I have lots of minutes left over. What is red pocket?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score

https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-62-h...mintex/8817623...
    They both use Verizon.
    See my list of 2019 Black Friday prepaid and unlocked phone deals at https://prepaidcompare.net/bf2019.html

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    What is red pocket?
    Red Pocket Mobile. Red Pocket sells monthly plans directly on their site. You can also buy monthly, quarterly & annual (360 day) plans through e-Bay.

Feedback Score
    What network does that phone use?

On both phones I linked, do they have removable batteries?

I checked out red pocket, looks like it costs about same as tracfone. But the red pocket 360 day card does have more minutes than the same priced tracfone 1 year card, 500 minutes vs 400 for tracfone.

If I were to go with a tracfone bundle, when it comes time to buy more service after the year is up, where is the best place to buy more tracfone service?

All this research making my head spin lol

Feedback Score
    Whatever phone or bundle I do buy, will the number and service be able to be transferred from my current phone? If I don't want to keep my current number, will the data still be able to be transferred? I think I would be better off with a different number, reason is ever since I got this number, I have been getting all kinds of spam calls and calls trying to get a hold of someone that is not me. Seems like when tracfone gave me this number, the number was active for someone else. Is that possible? Either that or who had my number before me got a different number and never bothered to update all their contacts.

And something strange, for the past several days, my phone doesn't want to stay on. It would shut off as soon as I turned it on. Well now it has been on for almost a day now and I did not do anything to it.

Feedback Score
    ...I have been looking at tracfone bundles on HSN and want to find out what network they use. Here are 2 I was looking at.
    This one is a Moto G6. It also has a radio. I have one of these and use it with Tracfone-Verizon. It is a pretty nice phone. It has a fingerprint sensor, but not NFC. NFC is probably not important to you. It comes with a flashlight app. You can turn it on by shaking the phone twice. Pretty neat.

The battery is not removable. I don't know about the others. The battery can reasonably be expected to last several years if not abused.

https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...d-1200/8741235

iHeartradio uses 58 MB of data an hour. With TF data at one cent a MB that would be 58 cents an hour. Video streaming , like YouTube, uses a lot more data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    This one is a Moto G6. It also has a radio. I have one of these, but not the TF model. It is a pretty nice phone. It has a fingerprint sensor, but not NFC. NFC is probably not important to you. It comes with a flashlight app. You can turn it on by shaking the phone twice. Pretty neat.

https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...d-1200/8741235

iHeartradio uses 58 MB of data an hour. With TF data at one cent a MB that would be 58 cents an hour. Video streaming , like YouTube, uses a lot more data.
    According to the specs listed on HSN, that one doesn't have a radio. Been reading questions on qvc and someone said you have to use headphones to use the fm radio on the g6 as that acts as the antenna. Not really a fan of using headphones.

I read somewhere that the G6 has a glass back. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe that is irrelevant since I would get a case for it. And what is NFC?

And since iheartradio uses 58mb an hour, that would eat up my data pretty fast I would think.

And if the battery is not removable, why does it say it comes with a battery cover on the HSN specs? Or is that just the cover for the whole back that you need to take off to have access to the sim card and what ever else? I don't understand why they don't make phones with removable batteries. Is it that alot of people don't keep their phones long enough to have trouble with it? Or is it so if you do have trouble with the battery, you have to buy a whole new phone? I am not the type to just upgrade my phone to have the latest, when I buy something I want it to last me a while.

Let's say if I buy a bundle that comes with a year of service, I have trouble with call quality. Am I stuck with that network for a year?

Now wondering if I should go with a 16gb or 32gb phone. Not sure how many apps can be added on a 16gb phone but I don't plan on adding that many apps. Although maybe I will add more than I think once I start using it. If I wanted 32gb phone, looks like my choices are really limited if I go with a bundle. So far the G6 is the only one I seen that is 32gb, rest are 16gb.
    Last edited by Weathered; 12-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    According to the specs listed on HSN, that one doesn't have a radio. Been reading questions on qvc and someone said you have to use headphones to use the fm radio on the g6. Not really a fan of using headphones as that acts as the antenna.
    HSN probably forgot to list the radio. I know my G6 has one. I do not know of any modern cellphone with a radio that does not require using headphones/ear buds.

I read somewhere that the G6 has a glass back. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe that is irrelevant since I would get a case for it. And what is NFC?
    Yes the back is (black) glass. it is pretty slippery. I never use my phones without a case anyway.

And if the battery is not removable, why does it say it comes with a battery cover on the HSN specs? Or is that just the cover for the whole back that you need to take off to have access to the sim card and what ever else? I don't understand why they don't make phones with removable batteries. Is it that alot of people don't keep their phones long enough to have trouble with it? Or is it so if you do have trouble with the battery, you have to buy a whole new phone? I am not the type to just upgrade my phone to have the latest, when I buy something I want it to last me a while.
    Probably HSN did a copy/paste from another model and forgot to change the battery cover info. The SIM and microSD load in a tray that pops up from the top. That is what the ejector pin is for. The philosophy and economics of non-removable batteries is complex. You hit a few of the points. Another is that it makes it less expensive for the manufacturer. You can probably get the battery replaced at a shop, but it won't be cheap. I also prefer removable batteries, but took a chance on this one.

Let's say if I buy a bundle that comes with a year of service, I have trouble with call quality. Am I stuck with that network for a year?
    If you buy a Tracfone brand phone you are stuck with using it with Tracfone. Theoretically, TF will unlock their phones after a year. I have never heard of anyone doing it successfully.

It is a lot of work to learn the things to get cell service on the cheap. Most people just walk into a carrier store, plunk down mid hundreds of dollars for a phone and sign up for service at ~$75 a month.

Another note on the difference between a basic phone and a smartphone: You will need to charge the smartphone every day or two. More often if you use it much. Lighting up the screen takes a lot of juice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    What's wrong with the link I posted in post #2? Price of $126 after coupon code for a Motorola G6 sounds like it's better than the offering from home shopping network.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What's wrong with the link I posted in post #2? Price of $126 after coupon code for a Motorola G6 sounds like it's better than the offering from home shopping network.
    The HSN bundle comes with 1200 service units, a year of service time, a case, and a car charger. The cost of buying the service units and service time for the Slickdeals unit is $125.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Noted and Thank you!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast