Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: IPad 5GB of data for 5 months Only $10

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    Can you post the link to where it’s available. I can’t find it. Thanks.
    It's only available in the Settings > Cellular Data section on iPads that support it. There's no listing on T-Mobile's site for it (the image on the very first post of this thread will show you what it looks like).

Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Is there a list of which iPads are eligible ?
    I have the free 200mb deal on a 2nd generation iPad , this might be nice to sign up for , but is it linked to just one iPad if you happen to brick yours ?
    There's no official list (one of those things that fell through the cracks at T-Mobile), but it looks like anything newer than or including the iPad mini 3, and iPad Air 2, which would be:
    • Air 2 (2014)
    • 9.7" (2017)
    • 9.7" (2018)
    • 10.5" Air (the new one)
    • mini 3 (2014)
    • mini 4 (2015)
    • mini 5 (2019)
    • All iPad Pros

Not eligible:
    • Original
    • 2 (2011)
    • 3 (2012)
    • 4 (2012)
    • Air (2013)
    • mini (2012)
    • mini 2 (2013)
    Last edited by ecs0013; 05-06-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    I did some experimenting just now - taking the SIM out of my personal iPad (2017 9.7") that's on the 5GB pass with about 60 days left and popping it in my work iPad (2018 12.9" Pro that I just got today) worked just fine. It took a few seconds for it to "see" it and connect to T-Mobile over attempting to use the eSIM, but I ran a few speed tests and am actually writing this over cellular. To me, that seems like you should be able to swap to other devices, but might need to put it back when renewing (as the 5GB/$10/150 pass will only appear on eligible iPads).

(Also totally off-topic, with the new iPad, I also learned that I get incredible Sprint speeds in my area—90-100Mbps, while T-Mobile and AT&T still do fairly well—20-30Mbps)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I did some experimenting just now - taking the SIM out of my personal iPad (2017 9.7") that's on the 5GB pass with about 60 days left and popping it in my work iPad (2018 12.9" Pro that I just got today) worked just fine. It took a few seconds for it to "see" it and connect to T-Mobile over attempting to use the eSIM, but I ran a few speed tests and am actually writing this over cellular. To me, that seems like you should be able to swap to other devices, but might need to put it back when renewing (as the 5GB/$10/150 pass will only appear on eligible iPads).

(Also totally off-topic, with the new iPad, I also learned that I get incredible Sprint speeds in my area—90-100Mbps, while T-Mobile and AT&T still do fairly well—20-30Mbps)
    The T-Mobile 5GB plan is also capped. I would get about 43Mbps on my 2018 iPad Pro while on my iPhones T-Mobile plan, I would get 160Mbps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    The T-Mobile 5GB plan is also capped. I would get about 43Mbps on my 2018 iPad Pro while on my iPhones T-Mobile plan, I would get 160Mbps.
    That could be - I'm not in the greatest of T-Mobile areas, and I typically use it on a much less advanced (from a cellular perspective) fifth-generation iPad, so that's about the most I usually see. Are you using a physical SIM with your iPad or the eSIM? I'm just curious what speeds you'd see if you SIM-swapped with your iPhone (iPad SIM in the phone)?

With as little documented about these kinds of plans, obviously any bits of data can help.

Feedback Score
    I myself just signed up for this using an apple Sim ($4.99 at apple store)to my mini 4, tried to swap it to my of pixel XL but only able to see the LTE but TMO forces me to sign up, where you see the "get started". I pushed that and it didn't take me any further. I'd like to use this as a daily data only to my pixel phone. Any output would/suggestion that were successful on setting up would be appreciated

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am not an Ipad person so ideally I would want to get this and move sim to android phone. Is it worth buying an ipad mini from either a store and then return it once activated (though this is not ethical) or buy one from ebay or swappa and resell once activated

If I am going to do this is there a cheap model I should buy? Can someone recommend?
    Do I need to keep it for reactivating?

I just need this for secondary email, I wont use a lot of data so assuming the 5gb will last be the 5 months. My alternative is to do the 2gb/$10 plan but that will be $50 over 5 months

Device(s)
    Samsung SM-G960U Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post
    I am not an Ipad person so ideally I would want to get this and move sim to android phone. Is it worth buying an ipad mini from either a store and then return it once activated (though this is not ethical) or buy one from ebay or swappa and resell once activated

If I am going to do this is there a cheap model I should buy? Can someone recommend?

I just need this for secondary email, I wont use a lot of data so assuming the 5gb will last be the 5 months. My alternative is to do the 2gb/$10 plan but that will be $50 over 5 months
    T-Mobile was giving away the Alcatel A30 tablet last year, so I took advantage of it.

New it cost $130. That device is no longer available but the Alcatel 3T 8-inch is for $168 or $7/month.

My A30 has worked well and has a lot less bloatware than the more expensive Sammies and iPads.

When I was a VzW customer, I had a smartphone and mobile broadband device. Now I have a Galaxy S9 and use the A30 as a hotspot as needed. And it can be used as a stand-alone Internet device.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wralford View Post
    T-Mobile was giving away the Alcatel A30 tablet last year, so I took advantage of it.

New it cost $130. That device is no longer available but the Alcatel 3T 8-inch is for $168 or $7/month.

My A30 has worked well and has a lot less bloatware than the more expensive Sammies and iPads.

When I was a VzW customer, I had a smartphone and mobile broadband device. Now I have a Galaxy S9 and use the A30 as a hotspot as needed. And it can be used as a stand-alone Internet device.
    But does the Alcatel get the Ipad 5gb /$10 offer?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score

You'll need it for renewing the plan. It doesn't appear on any devices outside of the iPads listed earlier in the thread. It's not like the AT&T DataConnect plans where you can set it to auto-renew, move it to a hotspot, and forget it.

But does the Alcatel get the Ipad 5gb /$10 offer?
    I doubt it—the plan was a promo for certain iPads (again, look previously in the thread) and doesn't seem to appear on any other tablets.

Feedback Score
    You'll need it for renewing the plan. It doesn't appear on any devices outside of the iPads listed earlier in the thread. It's not like the AT&T DataConnect plans where you can set it to auto-renew, move it to a hotspot, and forget it.

But you can close your iPad account once the plan expires and open a new account and add the 5GB plan all over again. There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this. Just putting it out there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    But you can close your iPad account once the plan expires and open a new account and add the 5GB plan all over again. There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this. Just putting it out there.
    Yeah, you can buy another 5GB pass to stack or create a new account w/a new SIM (or new session on an Apple SIM), but I think T-Mobile's system needs to see the SIM in an eligible device for that pass to appear. If it's in another tablet, that pass doesn't show up as an option when buying a new pass.

It sounded like what jmsilver99 wants to do is buy it and keep getting it without necessarily depending on an iPad.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, you can buy another 5GB pass to stack or create a new account w/a new SIM (or new session on an Apple SIM), but I think T-Mobile's system needs to see the SIM in an eligible device for that pass to appear. If it's in another tablet, that pass doesn't show up as an option when buying a new pass.

It sounded like what jmsilver99 wants to do is buy it and keep getting it without necessarily depending on an iPad.
    ATT Dataconnect plans look more expensive then even the TMO 2gb/$10. If one was to buy a used (or new if good deal) ipad for this plan , any recommendations to get one cheap?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    ATT Dataconnect plans look more expensive then even the TMO 2gb/$10. If one was to buy a used (or new if good deal) ipad for this plan , any recommendations to get one cheap?
    Yeah, the DataConnect plans are mostly garbage, but people have been getting iPads, iPad IMEIs, or other tablets to sign up for the unlimited plan, throwing it in a hotspot, and AT&T has mostly been looking the other way. It even autorenews and has been fine (that was the case where getting an iPad to start service and then returning it/selling it/etc. could work as long as AT&T doesn't crack down).

In the case of T-Mobile, you'd need access to a supported iPad every 5 months or so to buy the pass again. As for cheap, if you go the used route, Swappa may be a good starting point - the mini 3 is going for $180-$260 (only one on the lower end), while the much-better Air 2 is going for $220-$280. New, you could get a sixth-generation iPad with the cellular radio (2018 model) for $459 at normal prices, but sales usually knock it down by up to $100.

Here's the thing, T-Mobile could kill this plan tomorrow and once all of our passes end, that's it. It may not make sense to spend $200+ to get a device for it when it's so specific. Instead, I'd look around for cheap, data-only plans if you just want a little bit of data. I know a few folks went and got the 1GB/month for a year FreedomPop kit that Target and Best Buy carry (then you don't have to attach a credit card to your account) for $50 and it works in anything. I'm guessing there's some others from smaller resellers that may fit the bill, too (although I've mostly followed the bigger prepaid services).

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is the freedompop plan the 12 month plan for $45?

I have an old plan on FreedomPop , 500mb a month free with 200 minutes of calls. Also not sure which sim I used , I think it was on Sprint network. I also got the 200mb TMobile data for life working

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Is the freedompop plan the 12 month plan for $45?

I have an old plan on FreedomPop , 500mb a month free with 200 minutes of calls. Also not sure which sim I used , I think it was on Sprint network. I also got the 200mb TMobile data for life working
    Yeah, there's been a few different FreedomPop ones out there - this one is often on sale (someone got it for $22 awhile back - my store didn't have that price), but yeah - usually $45-$50 and looks like it's on AT&T:

https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast