Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Tmobile Sprint merger

I'm thinking of adding a Fi number for international travel. I haven't seen anything about what will happen to Fi if and when the merger goes through. Has anybody seen anything?
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    I'm thinking of adding a Fi number for international travel. I haven't seen anything about what will happen to Fi if and when the merger goes through. Has anybody seen anything?
    Nothing will happen in the short term, in my opinion. Both carriers should keep everything pretty much the same while they coordinate the merger.

Too many differences between the two to think that they'll start flipping switches after the contract is signed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Nothing will happen in the short term, in my opinion. Both carriers should keep everything pretty much the same while they coordinate the merger.

Too many differences between the two to think that they'll start flipping switches after the contract is signed.

I wasn't so much thinking about tech as much as business side. I'm sure Google has addressed this but, to me no public announcement about future of Fi with merger is possibly not a good sign. It's not like Fi is a huge business and Google has it's history of just killing off stuff.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    I wasn't so much thinking about tech as much as business side. I'm sure Google has addressed this but, to me no public announcement about future of Fi with merger is possibly not a good sign. It's not like Fi is a huge business and Google has it's history of just killing off stuff.
    By the same token, they've always given people time to move on.

Again, my opinion, but they are now allowing most phones, including iPhones, to fully register to Google Fi, even if they only have access to T-Mobile. But that access includes some domestic roaming and full international.

I personally don't think they're thinking about closing this project down anytime soon.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No one knows for sure what will happen since the new company will offer the same US network and data at a much lower price point. The fact that they've changed the name from Project Fi to Google Fi indicates they are in this for the long haul, so I'd expect something to happen around the time the merger is finalized to try and keep people. Since a number of people who would be looking to switch from Google Fi could look to the merged Sprint T-Mobile as a landing spot since they will have the same coverage as Fi, it will be interesting to see if Fi customer would be eligible for promotions from them as far as port ins. If not, that will make things interesting.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here is a glimpse of Sprints future from Tmo’s CFO.
    https://www.tmonews.com/2018/12/t-mo...lowing-merger/

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It makes sense. Sprint's network is a lot smaller and can be used to strengthen T-Mobile's network in cities where they have a ton of holes in their network. The newer Sprint phones won't need to rely on CDMA anyway, so the sooner they can shut down the network and reuse it for something different, the better. I still want to know what Fi will do to keep us as customers since the benefits of Fi will largely be enjoyed by Metro customers with better pricing in the near future.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Agreed, the coverage Fi offers is T-Mo + Sprint and I think the merger from a coverage standpoint will allow T-Mo to really fill in the gaps with each others new spectrum. The sheer size and complexities of the two ancient systems (specifically Sprints) will be arduous though, I expect the acquisition being finalized will have quite some before we really start seeing the coverage to 'merge'. This is a much bigger merger than Metro PCS.

I think Fi is well positioned, any MVNO would love to have an agreement with the two carriers if a merge happens. It opens up the opportunity for pricing/contract negotiation as they can argue to take on the 'better'/cheaper contract for all their traffic.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    With the roaming agreements in place, and if they shut down the CDMA network sooner than later, the merger would mainly be 4G LTE with 5G being added to the mix. That will hopefully make it easier. At this point, it feels like Fi is a T-Mobile MVNO that offers more expensive data but better international treatment than T-Mobile does. If T-Mobile does lower prices, Fi will hopefully do the same.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Okay. Now that the DOJ has approved the merger, it's time to figure out what we will do. T-Mobile has said that they will be MVNO friendly, and that they will cut prices for their customers. So while Fi will be around, lower prices for T-Mobile/Metro customers, and whatever deals Dish will offer may make it very easy for some to leave Fi. So what is your guess as to what will happen to us next?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There is also U.S. Cellular to consider. Will they drop them and simply become a T-Mobile MVNO?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    There is also U.S. Cellular to consider. Will they drop them and simply become a T-Mobile MVNO?
    If I had to guess, I'd say yes. The biggest point of that was to get their roaming on Verizon for 3G coverage. Verizon has pushed out shutting off 3G for another year. But by that time, T-Mobile will probably make improvements that will make the coverage on US Cellular not as important as it would be now for some.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not worrying about any changes for a year or two. No one here knows what those changes might be, if in fact there are any changes.
    Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible