Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article on Tm's plans for airtigh sprint.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

Article on Tm's plans for airtigh sprint.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...ategy.amp.html

I have no interest in this article precluding the info therein.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately behind a paywall.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    I believe it says that Tmo will shutdown Sprint's network, move customers off of CDMA, repurpose 2.5Ghz for 5G data, and use the rest of Sprint's spectrum assets to beef up Tmo's existing network. It also says more Tmo stores, more jobs, lower prices...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Well, yeah, that's the valuable part of any wireless carrier...the spectrum.
    All acquisitions in the last 18 years in the wireless industry revolved around getting a hold of the spectrum and reusing it to beef up the wireless network of the purchaser.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    It then may disappoint some Sprint loyalists and long-term customers (I was once one) that except for the spectrum, nearly everything else that is Sprint will be gone, melted down and either repurposed or thrown away...

Feedback Score
    Melting down and throwing away is OK if you don’t need the footprint like Metro PCS, but maybe some Rural Sprint sites would be helpful for T-Mobile.

Smacks a bit of let’s rip down the Nextel Network because Sprint CDMA is better circa 2013.

I hope someone is doing some really good calculations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Unfortunately behind a paywall.

Here's the full article You're welcome : https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

T-Mobile US Inc.'s 2013 acquisition of MetroPCS provides a roadmap for the company's planned Sprint takeover.

Chief Financial Officer Braxton Carter detailed the Bellevue-based wireless company's strategy if its $26.5 billion Sprint bid is approved by federal regulators.

"The playbook that we did with Metro, it wasn’t combining two networks. It was shutting one network down and extracting some assets (from) that network to enhance the T-Mobile network," said Carter, in a transcript filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. "We’re now applying the same philosophy here."

The integration would start with new customers. Shortly after the merger, customers would still be able to walk into a Sprint store, but they' would be signing up for a plan on T-Mobile's network.
    Later, when T-Mobile's network had enough capacity, T-Mobile would start moving existing Sprint customers to the T-Mobile network, Carter said.

"If you don’t do it right, you’ll end up losing a lot of customers," he said.

T-Mobile's MetroPCS takeover is largely regarded as a success. MetroPCS has doubled it subscribers to 18 million from 9 million since the deal closed. Carter said T-Mobile's network strategy for MetroPCS helped it merge the companies faster, cheaper and with "essentially no" customer losses

"It's really MetroPCS redo with the Sprint deal," he said.

Bellevue-based wireless industry analyst Chetan Sharma said while the MetroPCS takeover was successful, taking over Sprint will be much more complicated.

"Sprint is a nationwide operator, and its customers are all over the place – at the first sight of problems they can easily jump ship," he said. "They can apply the same playbook, but it needs to be handled with great care. This deal is 10 to 20 times more complex."
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Melting down and throwing away is OK if you don’t need the footprint like Metro PCS, but maybe some Rural Sprint sites would be helpful for T-Mobile.

Smacks a bit of let’s rip down the Nextel Network because Sprint CDMA is better circa 2013.

I hope someone is doing some really good calculations...

Unlike when Sprint did this with Nextel, I have a feeling T-Mo will be a lot smarter about bringing Sprint in -- in all honesty, everyone knew this would happen -- it had to happen since legacy CDMA is a dying technology. T-Mobile would be *stupid* to do it any other way -- in fact, what T-Mobile did to Metro is what Sprint should have done to Nextel... they filled in their network in areas where Metro was stronger so that Metro customers wouldn't lose service, then they moved them over and killed the CDMA network.

Sprint, OTOH didn't do this with Nextel -- aside from very few areas where Nextel sites got converted, there were many areas that needed Sprint CDMA fill-in that didn't get in, including entire markets... Once Sprint finally got around to killing IDEN and moving those customers to CDMA, they still hadn't matched the network and many customers ended up with no service where previously it was strong. In some areas, such as the Dakotas, Eastern Oregon etc, Sprint just said port out and never replaced service. In fact, there are still many old Nextel sites just standing around with no Sprint CDMA -- or T-Mobile for that matter -- near them... T-Mobile will aquire these too, and I have a feeling that maybe, finally, they will end up getting used. I can't imagine that all options haven't been looked at... Unlike Sprint, T-Mobile is able to execute on things.

I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile will do this right -- unlike what Sprint did to Nextel. They basically say as much in waiting to move existing Sprint customers over... new customers will go to the T-Mo network, and Sprint customers will wait a bit -- meaning T-Mo will increase capacity, and I'm sure replace some Sprint sites in areas where they should probably go. Later on I'm sure they will probably move things around and put T-Mo sites in areas where they both have coverage but Sprint has the better location/higher on the tower etc... Honestly T-Mo should have less work to do than Sprint would have had to do to match Nextel.

N

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Neville Ray was pretty explicit about this on a Periscope chat. He said Sprint customers would be migrated to the T-Mo network. Where Sprint had better sites or coverage, those sites would be integrated into the T-Mo network.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    It then may disappoint some Sprint loyalists and long-term customers (I was once one) that except for the spectrum, nearly everything else that is Sprint will be gone, melted down and either repurposed or thrown away...
    That is what I have been saying. There’s NOTHING of value other than spectrum.

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    There are Sprint Loyalists? Why?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    https://www.tmonews.com/2018/12/t-mo...lowing-merger/

Carter recently explained that T-Mobile is “applying the same philosophy” with the Sprint merger as it did when it acquired MetroPCS. “The playbook that we did with Metro, it wasn’t combining two networks. It was shutting one network down and extracting some assets (from) that network to enhance the T-Mobile network,” he said.

The process would begin with new customers visiting Sprint stores, who would be signed up for T-Mobile plans rather than a Sprint plan. When T-Mobile’s network had enough capacity, it would begin moving Sprint customers over to the T-Mo network.

Carter then explained that T-Mobile would eventually shut down Sprint’s network once those customers were moved over, enabling them to close select cell sites and reallocate spectrum. The CFO said that T-Mobile would consolidate spectrum and close Sprint cell sites on a city-by-city basis. “If you don’t do it right, you’ll end up losing a lot of customers,” Carter added.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seddy View Post
    There are Sprint Loyalists? Why?
    Sprint has a strong fanbase, oddly enough. Sprint operated as a niche carrier for a long time with things like SERO, and Kickstart. So i get why they are "loyal" as they've been given a good deal, and for years on end.

I've had a SERO plan for years, and finally just gave it up in favor of a kickstart line.

Now, Sprint finally launched VoLTE which makes them a much better choice for me in Ohio, as Sprint has a more robust network here for the most part.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score

Article on Tm's plans for airtigh sprint.

MetroPCS was a much smaller Network. It made sense to turn there tiny city networks off.

I am remembering the Nextel debacle. Was that what went wrong?
    They should have turned off Nextel immediately rather than try to blend the two Networks?

I always felt the the issue with Nextel was that Nextel loyalists were promised a better and faster Push to Talk solution from Sprint which never quite worked out that great.

And Sprint did not seem to utilize the Nextel Sites as expected. They just took them down and left them empty with coverage gaps.

So maybe this is different as there is no PTT to deal with and the networks are already somewhat compatible, with Sprint users already welcoming T-Mobile roaming.

But I really hope they consider the value and need for Sprint towers to densify and only remove the collocated towers.

Last edited by techfranz; 12-15-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Well the Nextel debacle has a long list of problems:

1) iDen and CDMA were completely different airlink and core network - iDen was actually all IP from the get go, that's how PTT worked so well and fast on it (and why phone calls sucked so bad, QoS was shaky at best for voice), CDMA being a phone-first network had no such QoS in place for PTT applications.

2) Nextel customers were high end premium customers who paid VERY HIGH ARPU, It was not uncommon to have a $100+/mo bill for one line of service on Nextel, and if you did not have stellar credit.. several hundred dollar deposit for even a basic bar phone. Sprint treated them like the $30 SPCS customers by moving to offshore call centers, refusing repairs Nextel would have just "taken care of", and treating them like an average $30-50/mo ARPU user. This did not bode well, and Verizon courted them and cleaned up by stealing those subscribers left and right. Nextel was a premium brand, and you were treated as such by Nextel.

3) Sprint was broke - Sprint did not have the money after the buyout to properly implement any meaningful upgrades - and so that's why you see Nextel sites still sit empty and not in use.

4) WiMax - Sprint bet the farm to try and be "first" to 4G, with them being as broke as they were they would have been MUCH better off waiting for an established standard and just running fiber to the sites to power EvDO instead of relying on T1 lines to feed data, as that's what really choked out EvDO and QChat was the lack of back haul. EvDO on Verizon for instance, in a smaller chunk of bandwidth actually worked fine, whereas even a "lightly" loaded Sprint site would choke due to T1's not being able to keep up with the demand.

For the Sprint/T-Mobile merger.. Sprint actually has an LTE core and decent cell site equipment with RUU, so to integrate those is essentially just mostly software, so that should go much smoother.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast